The Blood of Jesus Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Oct 03, 2018

This is a poorly made film about the difficulties of getting to Heaven faced by a young churchgoer who dies accidentally. The list of insufficiencies in this work are many, perhaps too many to list, BUT the depiction of black Americans and their dreams is without the typical Hollywood varnish, right on the money and perhaps the truest work this reviewer has ever seen in this regard. The story and beliefs presented ... eh. But the slice of soul of a people living under constant oppression, and denial of that oppression, is spot on. I've never seen its like.

• Aug 01, 2016

I saw this strange movie last night with my Mom. I hope it is suppose to be a comedy because I had a good chuckle. The only positive was that it was an all black cast at a time when that rarely happened. Also I believe there was the use of some new techniques in filming.Other than that the movie's aim was to keep you on the path to heaven... or something.

• Jul 31, 2016

This is a strange, sad movie, notable mostly for its historical significance. Poorly filmed and recorded, the all-Black cast enacts a sort of religious allegory featuring a woman of sin and fantasy sequences featuring such things as poorly-costumed angels and the figure of a plastic Jesus speaking from the cross. It's jumbled and incoherent, and there is much gospel singing that comes and goes without purpose. This film has been praised for accurately capturing the rituals of Southern Black religious services, so there's that. It depressed me because it came from Hollywood's golden age. and yet looks impoverished and cheap, demonstrating once again how little Black filmmakers had to work with at the time.