Blood Tea and Red String - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blood Tea and Red String Reviews

½ March 27, 2015
13 years in the making and not worth the effort. Whatever visual creativity there is is overshadowed by how painfully boring it is for most of its run.
July 6, 2014
Need to be really drunk for this one.
½ September 26, 2013
Charming stop motion and dark imagrey make this a very unique film its a must see
April 12, 2013
I wish this would become as popular as 'Nightmare Before Christmas' or 'Corpse Bride.' Track it down by any means possible.
½ February 29, 2012
the only thing i got from this movie is that the guy had really big petience
366weirdmovies
January 20, 2012
A group of white mice (who drink blood tea) steal a doll belonging to a clan of rodents in this dialogue-free stop-motion feature. Beautiful and imaginative, with hallucinogenic berries, a frog sorcerer, and a near-perfect mix of surrealism and fairy tale darkness. People say it again and again, but it's the perfect description: BLOOD TEA is like a lost Jan Svankmajer film.
January 12, 2012
Marvelous stop motion animated film. Besides having the cutest upper crust mouse fight ever filmed, the rest of the movie is filled with memorable characters, witty inventions, and a complete surrealist landscape. The character design is fantastic, the puppets manage to convey so much individuality and expression without a single intelligible word. The story is one of creation and loss and dangerous consumption. The poetry of the animation is such that I felt as if I were inside a picture book or complicated miniature painting hung in some poorly lit corner of a foreign museum. The awe of discovery was only overshadowed by the pleasure of immersion. Seriously great stuff!
RCCLBC
February 9, 2011
Technically and visually a BRILLIANT little film. If you know anything about the amount of work that goes into stop motion work, you can't help but be impressed. Especially with all of the little details.

The story is interesting and bizarre in a creepy/cool sort of way, but it feels a bit self-indulgent at times.

A very impressive piece of art if nothing else.
October 3, 2010
such a weird movie, sort of scary, psychedelic. I fell asleep 7 separate times watching, not in a bad way like it's a boring movie, it's just so ambient. If your a fan of stop motion animation and the slightly odd.
½ August 21, 2010
A somewhat bizarre, often disturbing, animated feature for adults.
flixsterman
½ February 7, 2010
It's the mice vs. the fuzzy beaked things in a dispute over a "beautiful" doll. There are wagons pulled by turtles, hallucinogenic berries, flesh eating plants, frogs dressed like monks, and a sundry assortment of other oddities. Christiane Cegavske spent years putting this fanciful but weird stop-motion universe together. Interesting, strange and very imaginative.
½ December 27, 2009
Just the plotline of blood tea, and special fruit will make you really curious. Wow, this movie is one big trippy adventure full of woodland creatures, doll-birds, skull crows and flowers, and the trippy fruit, and frog monk. In fact I saw it with with two friends Christmas Eve and it was so much fun to retell the crazy plot line to unsuspecting folks at Christmas Brunch the next day. Totally amazing handmade feel and while a bit goth for me at time (dolls, fancy dressed vermin), totally worth a watch, especially with a small group of friends.
December 11, 2009
Artistic and motivating, one of those movies you could watch again and again and each time find something new in it. I love the homemade look to everything. A journey I will never forget.
July 30, 2009
Strange, beautiful, and entertaining
July 15, 2009
Strangely sweet. See ALICE & the COLLECTED SHORTS of Jan Svankmajer.
July 15, 2009
A cute and imaginative parable of human nature, with surrealist and expressionist elements. One of the better films in its class of peres such as 'Alice' and 'The Collected Shorts of Jan Svankmajer.'
½ July 9, 2009
A one-hour mock-victorian fantasy done almost entirely in stop-motion (except for the opening and end scenes), "Blood Tea and Red String" is an obvious labour of love, having been written, directed, produced, animated, drawn, sewn and pasted by self-styled "creator extraordinaire" Christiane Cegavske.

The film could be described as Brambly Hedge on acid and subtitled "Raiders of the lost ragdoll with a found river-egg in her womb." It has a dreamlike quality, with no dialogues. The characters include four caterpillar-eating crows with curly hair and pig's ears; three blood-drinking mice; a spider with a human head; a frog shaman; and two or three other animals or hybrids.

I might have liked this kind of experimental work better in my late teens or early twenties, when I was very fond of the likes of Patrick Bokanowski or Jan Svankmajer (the latter's "Alice" being an obvious inspiraiton here.) But even though I am still entranced by stop motion, I found the film a little boring, with most of the scenes drawing too long, and especially the mice's card game.

If you like the nonsense and cruelty of surrealism, amateur goth-girl art, psychedelic imagery and the pace of tortoise-drawn carriages, you should really enjoy it though. I'd be curious to see what Cegavske does next, for even if she hasn't roused my enthusiasm with this film, she has at least earned my respect.
June 24, 2009
Problematic storytelling overshadows the painstakingly rendered animation.
March 28, 2009
i am always impressed with stop motion animation. this is pretty creepy. maybe put it in at a party since there are no words. cool music though.
February 21, 2009
fanTAStic, delicious for the eyes and heart.