Bloody Wednesday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bloody Wednesday Reviews

½ April 12, 2013
Surprisingly good movie showing Harry descent quite rapidly into madness. First he loses his wife, then his job, then events start to happen where his mind slips and he begins to hallucinate and suffer massive delusions.

The acting for most of the movie is pretty bad, but the story is quite good, and Raymond Elemendorf really plays distrubing and 'off' quite well.
March 6, 2013
One man's decline into madness culminating in a pointless (and seemingly endless) killing spree at a coffee shop. One softball team's post-game celebration is ruined. Pretty much worthless.
October 27, 2012
An insane man has constant halucinations while holed up in an abandoned hotel. This drags on for over an hour until the guy walks into a coffee shop and kills 35 people with a machine gun. End of film. Roll the credits. Bloody awful.
May 15, 2011
January 24, 2011
"Bloody Wednesday" director Mark G. Gilhuis convincingly bends his mise-en-scene to reflect the increasing derangement and alienation of Harry (Raymond Elmendorf), a mentally ill man who loses his mind after being cooped up in an abandoned hotel by his distracted brother (Navarre Perry): When Harry plays an opulent piano solo at his doctor's (Pamela Baker) house, the edges of the screen darken, forming a spotlight around the maniacal protagonist. Later, when Harry pretends to shoot at a passing jet outside his window with a broomstick, found audio from a World War II film accompanies his grim fantasy.

Like Lynch, Cronenberg, Scorsese, and others, Gilhuis delights in keeping the audience off-kilter, constantly leaving us questioning the validity of what we just saw: Much like Harry, who lives in the same daunting, haunting twilight.
January 23, 2011
There is one thing to keep in mind while watching this movie: it is a B movie from the 1980's. The plot is fascinating and well paced as we watch a man slowly lose his mind while he talks to a teddy bear and see's ghosts in his brother's hotel. The movie is based on the 1984 massacre in a San Diego McDonalds.
That is the end of what I liked about the film. The effects are horrible (remember, b movie) and some of the scares are cheesy and dumb. The acting is a little stale and bland as well (Raymond Elmendorf over acts and acts like he doesn't know how to be afraid). I think some producer should watch this film and hire a director and writer to modernize it because the story has great potential to be a great film. I think someone like Scorsese or Nolan could make a masterpiece out of this and really give the story justice and someone like DiCaprio or Depp could give the character of Harry great depth. They have experience playing troubled characters who drive a film forward. This film had potential, but apparently lacked funding. Redone, this could be the 20teens version of The Shining.
October 16, 2009
The original Falling Down
October 15, 2009
I found "Bloody Wednesday" bloody entertaining. Feelings of isolation, attacks by gang members, a ghostly bell hop, a murder that did not happen, and the creepiest use of a teddy bear in cinema history.

All that and engaging characters that work as a whole... but are all apart from each other. My only complaint would have to be that a couple of the actors were a little wodden in their portrayal of the characters.

Otherwise, it's been added to my Favorites List.
December 24, 2008
I would love to see this film again. The story of the few days before a man goes into a crowded restaurant and opens fire. A few standout scenes is when someone brings their car to the man to get it fixed (he's a mechanic) and he takes it apart and puts the little pieces onto the floor, entering the church nude while singing a hymn and the scene where the man is given a gun. A real video gem I remember renting a few times, it probably closest resembles The Shining, but it exists in it's own strange world.
½ August 30, 2008
Most diappointing movie I have ever seen. Just hit your self in the face with a hammer 24 times and the visions you see will be more coherent than this film.