Blue Sky Reviews

• Jun 02, 2018

A good film with great actors and a nice story.

A good film with great actors and a nice story.

• May 11, 2018

This movie is disgusting it should be rated R, too much sex, it makes me want to puke, this is not a good movie ??

• Sep 04, 2017

Loved it...again! Lange and Jones have terrific chemistry in this film. The story smolders around a strong-willed, glamorously aging wife and her strong-minded, ethically frustrated husband. By its end, you can detect that the special elements of selfless love and deep conscience ignite into mature, enduring love, whether in the desert where a nuclear bomb is about to explode or within the housing barracks where a nuclear family fears to implode. True love can rise from ashes of redemption like a Phoenix after flames of imperfection, mental illness, and loneliness have taken a toll on aging lives of loud and quiet desperation. A long-term love survived is not unlike the "blue sky" itself - as the eldest daughter explained about the invisible forces of power.

• Feb 25, 2017

lange deserved her Oscar, in an otherwise sub-par film

lange deserved her Oscar, in an otherwise sub-par film

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Sep 29, 2016

I suppose Lange and Jones are good buy the movie itself leaves a lot to be desired. Between all the melodrama and the lukewarm nuclear testing B-plot there's very little here that's remotely interesting.

• Jun 21, 2015

Sing my body electric Ms . Lange.

Sing my body electric Ms . Lange.

• Apr 19, 2015

Could have been good, but ended up with me making silly commentary.

Could have been good, but ended up with me making silly commentary.

• Feb 16, 2015

Tommy Lee Jones is just brilliant.

Tommy Lee Jones is just brilliant.

• May 18, 2014

Una película con aspecto de tele filme que sólo vale la pena ver por la actuación de Jessica Lange.

• Feb 13, 2014

Blue Sky goes through a lot of rushing at the start, because while it starts off by displaying the fine cast it has lined up it suddenly rushes through a lot within the first half hour which feels excessively fast and lacking in anything settling in the story. This is a recurring theme over the course of the 97 minutes that Blue Sky runs for and so it finds itself darting into territory it can't deal with at a rapid pace, and it skews off in so many directions like matter expanding at a rapid rate. It never sticks to any single territory and is just constantly jumping from theme to theme while a loose plot ties together a large quantity of pessimistic plot dynamics. Usually, I can tolerate a large quantity of pessimistic plot dynamics in a film, but in the case of Blue Sky it was not appropriate. As well as the film running too fast and not having enough running time to develop far, it's a shoddily constructed one. There is too many directions the story wants to go in, but director Tony Richardson cannot choose any singular plot and had to try to fit in so many, including crazy characters featuring random sudden outbursts of insanity, adultery and a Mental Hospital's unfair treatment of an intelligent nuclear engineer as well as a girl accidentally setting a grenade off while shacking up with her lover. I found that little made an impact on the story and that I could feel no sympathy for any of the characters except for Tommy Lee Jones' Hank Marshall, solely because the story treated him so poorly and it was awful to see the man suffer. That was the only impact the film made on me was because of him, but about 5 minutes of impact doesn't justify the other 97 minutes of inconsistent themes and moods. See, I'm not sure if Blue Sky was a depressing comedy or just a bipolar drama film. Either way it was a weird experience which was scattershot and lacking in entertainment. It's emotion was all over the place and it's story was too repetitively pessimistic when it tried to be melancholic and failed ridiculously. Blue Sky was too fast and all over the place, but most of all it was simply utterly ridiculous. It's arguably not a film which would adapt for modern audiences well and is just too weird. On the bright side, it's lead actors prove effective. Tommy Lee Jones proved to be the standout for me in Blue Sky, even though the Oscar went to Jessica Lange. Tommy Lee Jones used a lot of his old-fashioned spirit and dramatic physical passion within his facial expressions and physicality to justify the intensity of his line delivery in the more dramatic moments of Blue Sky, and as usual he is an undoubtable rounding success. His performance in Blue Sky is the only reason I found myself glad to have watched it at all, and it reminds me that is acting talents and determination are very diverse. Jessica Lange gives strong performance too. In a surprising career turn, Jessica Lange gives a performance if a character who is both vastly sexually appealing and yet intimidating at the same time for the strength of her sex appeal and her relentless energy. She turns her character into an unpredictable one, and while the nature of the unpredictable story was unsatisfying, Jessica Lange's performance made it more tolerable. She kept the mood and spirit naturally alive which is a hard thing to do when the film around you is so strange, so she does a good job. But aside from the lead actors, Blue Sky is a misguided and negative venture without a sense of what it's doing.