Blue Car - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Car Reviews

½ September 29, 2014
just ok coming of age tale
½ August 9, 2013
Well acted and well made drama about a teen in crisis. What I found unforgivable was the betrayal of trust on the part of the teacher in the story--an adult, no matter how unhappy his life, only commits this kind act out of pure selfishness and to do such a thing to a girl he knows has been through hell is inexcusable. Everyone involved betrays their responsibility to this girl, and no one tries to get her the help she needs.
½ June 18, 2013
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

(2002) Blue Car

Written and directed by Karen Moncrieff, starring Agnes Bruckner as Megan, an aspiring student who is influenced by her teacher(David Strathairn) to enter herself in a "poetry contest" for a chance to get some sponsorship money while at the same time coping with her troubled sister and her bitter divorced mother after their father had left them. It's called "Blue Car" because it was a name she had called her poem she had written and then entered into the contest which the last thing she had remembered after her dad left for he was driving a blue colored car.

Now, while I love the beginning, the film felt more bleak as the story continues. the premise is a hard one to accept whereas after the father had left, it not only affected the two sisters severely but it had also left the mother to become extremely bitter toward her ex-husband leaving viewers totally in the dark about it's circumstances except that it's somehow expressed through a poem, and it still doesn't explain anything. I also thought the bond between the two sisters isn't genuine enough and that the movie could've dwelled on that relationship even more since it almost seemed so artificial from the viewers standpoint. Character development among it's central characters seems to be something that is making it much harder to like this film for any reason whatsoever despite great performances by it's leads.

2 out of 4 stars
May 6, 2013
Brilliant pairing of Agnes Bruckner and David Strathairn in this disturbing tale. The way it explores vulnerability and motivation was impressive and I'll be looking for other films where the director, Karen Moncrieff has been involved.
February 6, 2013
A slow paced, beautiful and melancholic film that touched a nerve. Great performance from Agnes Bruckner. Amazing film considering it is writer/director Karen Moncrieff's film debut and was edited on an apple computer. Stunning.
August 16, 2012
Gripping, raw, dramatic, real, sad, but not too melodramatic. Everything an indie drama should be.
½ July 21, 2012
Small but recommendable film about a young girl, growing up in an unstable environment with a lack of people who care for her and various people abusing her. Agnes Bruckner gives an excellent performance as Meg. The story isn't something refreshing and new, but it doesn't disturbs me. The subject is handled very well and the co-actors are good as well.

Excellent directing debut by Karen Moncrieff. She managed to make it a remarkable debut. "Blue Car" is an enjoyable film who's certainly worth watching.
½ March 26, 2012
This melancholy, insightfully scripted coming-of-age drama is moving without being manipulative and makes an assured calling card for writer-director Karen Moncrieff.
January 28, 2012
A semi-decent film, it could have been better, as i expected alot more from it, but it was still a decent watch, but probably one i'd never watch again.
½ November 14, 2011
Very disappointing. The movie just.. tries too hard. Mr. Auster is just a pedophile, nothing more to it.
September 16, 2011
good female.coming of age story.
July 10, 2011
I kinda feel sorry for the teacher in this movie. Here is a teenage girl who's father has gone, who's mother is too selfish to to devote any time, interest or patience in her children, and a younger sister who appears hell bent on harming herself. She becomes noticed, and quite rightly encouraged to focus on her talents by her English teacher, who appears nothing but honorable with regards to his interest in her. She comes to him for comfort when her despair is at an uttermost high and although he is uncomfortable in giving her the comfort she requires she sends out a message to him that he is becomming a little bit more than the father figure she is desperately in need of. Even so far as the beach, knowing he has developed feelings for the kid, it seems at no time is he going to abuse his position. Even the kiss on the beach seemed to be a natural act of progress, untill he takes her to his room, and goes too far and allows his urges to get the better of him. She feels violated, cheated maybe and changes her poem from one they've worked on together, into an attack on him. Marvelessly written on a napkin in a diner one afternoon, i didnt quite understand what it was she was so offended by in his book.
April 15, 2011
Don't understand how this was so popular with critics. It's like a really bad rip-off of American Beauty. I mean, not horrible, but not great either.
½ January 19, 2011
Worth seeing. [dvr ifc 2011-01]
½ December 29, 2010
A good movie. A difficult story, full of teenage innocence and amorality, and adult confusion too. The story seemed real to me, and made me very uncomfortable. The Guardian called this 'a subtle wise and worrying film'. I think I will be chewing on it for a while.
October 31, 2010
When a high school English teacher encourages his talented, fatherless female student to enter a poetry contest, he has no idea what he has set in motion...I thought this was a very touching and well done movies and I agree with Mark, five stars.
½ August 31, 2010
The third to last scene where Meg recites her poem for the competition is unforgettable.
May 3, 2010
Mr. Auster is super creepy as the English teacher who gets a litle too close. Uncomfortable viewing at times.
½ April 23, 2010
February 13, 2010
So many things were missing from this movie that i just found it boring.