Blue in the Face - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue in the Face Reviews

March 14, 2016
A sequel to the more successful Smoke. A bit self-indulgent, but not all bad. I enjoyed Madonna's brief cameo as a singing telegram girl, which if I'm honest, was my main reason for watching it!
½ February 21, 2015
too much swearing in the movie
½ May 4, 2014
The other must-see for fans of Smoke. Double bonus: Ms. Tomlin's character, Jim Jarmusch in the flesh.
½ April 27, 2014
This is a long lost gem that I have never found until I got Netflicks. I enjoyed the performances of Harvey Keitel, Mira Sirvano, Rosanne, and Madonna.
blkbomb
½ March 29, 2014
Bob: Coffee and cigarettes. That's like the breakfast of champions.

"Welcome to the planet Brooklyn."

Blue in the Face is a fun enough movie especially if you like the style of Smoke. This isn't really much like Smoke though, when it comes to story. There's really no story here. There's a lot of individual improvised scenes and interviews telling random facts about Brooklyn. It's a very loose film, that has  a sort of documentary feel to it at times and a standard feature film feel to it at other times. The cast is huge in this film, with Harvey Keitel being the only big name that was left over from smoke. Michael J. Fox, Jim Jarmusch, Lou Reed, Roseanne,and Madonna all make appearances throughout.

In the end, Blue in the Face is pretty much just Wayne Wang pulling scraps from Smoke, but it has it's appeal. I like the conversations, which all have the improve feel to them. This isn't a movie that really needs to be seen, but it's one that is a good amount of fun for fans of Smoke. If you didn't like Smoke though, there's absolutely no reason to waste your time with this film.
June 4, 2013
While I enjoyed this way more than Wayne Wang's Smoke, the parts do not equal the whole. Michael J Fox was good but overall the movie was lacking.
½ August 31, 2012
it's soooo 90's. if it were at that time i'd give 1.5stars more. interesting to see Jim mentioned "coffee and cigarettes".
August 13, 2012
I own this one on dvd. Not great, but a little funny. I just love the part of RoseAnne kissing Harvey Keitel.
March 21, 2012
This movie is hilarious & has a great cast of everyone u know & love
½ January 11, 2012
A great Brooklyn movie. This one brought back a lot of memories of my childhood in the 90's, as well as the sense of community of working at a local Brooklyn video store in my teenage years. The only problem is it's pretty uneven. Some of the vignettes work exceptionally well, others are really annoying. In particular, Mel Gorham is absolutely grating as Violet. But don't let that steer you away. Stick this one out until the end. The final scene is absolutely beautiful.
August 27, 2011
A portrait of Brooklyn in the 90s. Shot on my corner! However not terribly exciting. Jim Jarmusch and Lou Reed being the best parts.
½ January 23, 2011
It's a hilarious, all-star, human film. Harvey Keitel is excellent in the leading role, while the supporting cast is also notable (particularly Madonna, in her most memorable role). Nostalgic, sweet, funny, "Blue In The Face" is simply great.
½ January 17, 2011
A companion piece to Smoke rather than a sequel, and as such it works well enough, but the fact that it's made mostly of outtakes and improvisations is easily detectable, and it feels far too disjointed, while still trying rather feebly for a coherent storyline, especially in the epilogue. However, the acting is good enough that many scenes shine through, some of the cameos feel forced but most of them are spot-on (brilliant appearances from Madonna, Roseanne and Jim Jarmusch especially) and it's enjoyable for fans of the original Smoke as well as Jarmusch fans, although all too often it feels like a Jarmusch carbon copy that doesn't have Jim's unique spark and vision.
½ September 16, 2010
A companion piece to Paul Austers SMOKE. More a series of vignettes than an actual narrative but the individual pieces are very effective.
August 12, 2010
gad deem! zashto tek nakon 15 godina!
February 18, 2010
I've seen it and I don't remember much, so it couldn't have been very good.
½ February 4, 2010
Exuberant and funny light-hearted follow up to the serious drama 'Smoke'; a real declaration of love to Brooklyn, with even a few real-life interview snippets mixed with fictional, often improvised vignettes of neighbors and deadbeats hanging at the smoke shop (including many amazing cameos, especially Michael J. Fox and his list of possibly the best survey questions ever!)
January 4, 2010
The combination of short stories and documentary bits is heart warming and incredibly interesting at the same time. I loved Smoke but I love Blue In The Face even more .. because it makes me want to visit Brooklyn and hug every living soul in it.
½ December 28, 2009