The Blue Max - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blue Max Reviews

½ April 23, 2017
For any lover of war movies or the early days of aviation or sexy, wanton ingenues, this movie is worth catching. Peppard has moments where he can be believable, and the supporting cast of Mason, Kemp and Vogler hold a patchy script together with good performances. Also, Ursula Andress smolders as the countess, temptress. If you remember her from James Bond & Dr. No you will not be disappointed here where she looks her sexy best in a bath towel instead of a bathing suit. Action scenes are typical of the era war movies with some nice aerial and ground combat sequences. Peppard is the headliner, but James Mason, the much better actor, steals his limited number of scenes. Jeremy Kemp as Peppard's co-equal in the sky is well cast, and puts in a very good performance. Karl Michael Vogler's character is the squadron leader who helps the plot move forward with some good acting, as well. Throw in a few interesting sub-plots, decent cinematography, and John Guillermin(The Towering Inferno, King Kong '76, The Bridge at Remagen) directing you get an enjoyable movie. 3.5/5 or 7.5/10.
April 1, 2017
Great sweeping portrayal of the air war during World War with plenty of outstanding aerial combat sequences. Bruno Stachel seems to be fighting his own squadron mates and chain of command as he's fighting the British.
October 2, 2016
A reminder, if reminders were needed, that the war to end all wars was a war for the preservation of the aristocracy, on both sides.
½ February 13, 2015
Awesome world war 1 movie. Really enjoyed it.
November 15, 2014
World War I flight combat movies are fairly rare which poses a bit of a problem for us since my son is all into aviation and his favorite period is World War I. This year my wife stumbled onto this movie while looking for Christmas presents.

I have watched this movie a long time ago but I did not remember much about it except that I did not like the ending. Well I am older now and can appreciate more aspects of a movie than I could then but I have to say that I still find the ending somewhat depressing. Actually, the hole movie is rather depressing I would say.

Having said that, as a movie it is a very well done piece of cinematic art. The story, as depressing as it might be, holds together. The acting is good. The flight scenes are very good even by today's standards. Actually if you consider that the movie was done almost 50 years ago they are quite fantastic.

It is a shame that the story is so depressing. It is still a must watch movie if you are into war and historical flight movies though.
½ March 21, 2014
World War One as seen through the German point of view. Great dog fighting scenes among Bi-Planes and period war scenes in general.
½ February 1, 2014
ok WWI war drama/bio-pic of sorts
January 9, 2014
Great war scenes. Main character was very conflictingly written, which hurt the movie quite a bit. Andress was stunning.
½ November 4, 2013
Monday, November 4, 2013

(1966) The Blue Max
WAR

Based on a novel written by Jack Hunter "The Blue Max" as it's called is a little medal that is given to German fighter pilots who have managed to stay alive long enough to shoot down as many as 20 planes or more all together during their duration. Takes place during the first World War, focusing on Lieutenant Bruno Stachel played by George Peppard for it's his first time becoming a fighter pilot. And he makes it his obsession to achieve this goal of obtaining this medal, even if meant disobeying orders and lying about it.

Because the movie is more than 2 hours long, it felt just a little too long even though it does use a cast of hundreds and sometimes thousands of extras, it's still uninteresting since actor Peppard does not make a convincing German fighter pilot at all for he may have got the role as a result of doing "Breakfast At Tiffany's" after studio executives couldn't get anyone else. James Mason also stars as General Count von Klugermann odes have a knack for playing German characters since he's done this before on such movies as "The Desert Fox" as well as it's sequel.

2 out of 4 stars
½ May 15, 2013
They don't make movies like this anymore. If you love aircraft, a love story, betrayal, good script, great actors and well filmed at a time when they made classics, then you don't want to miss this...one of the great movies of all time.
April 8, 2013
classic world war1 film with breathtaking aerial cinematography.
March 24, 2013
One of the few WWI flying movies out there. Flight scenes are good. Some plot problems, but not enough to worry about.
March 19, 2013
Stays remarkably fresh today, with much more modern paced story telling than earlier WW1 films like "Hells Angels" and some great stunt work, all very much real. The acting is good too, even if the cocky characters may not be to everybody's taste. The movie still does what it's supposed to do.
½ December 24, 2012
Still the best World War 1 fighter pilots movie ever made. Doesn't seem to be very dated yet either, which can happen alot to these earlier films.
½ September 24, 2012
Good mixture of action on the ground and in the air.
August 25, 2012
I did not realize that the film was a World War I film about the German side till I saw the film. It is interesting how the film you see both the trenches and airplanes. The film was alright but it was not exactly the best war film but it is not the worst one either. One thing That this film fails to do I think is to develop the characters background before the war which helps you to invest in the characters. I like Jerry Goldsmith's score but it is not his best one either. The film ends in a way where you feel dissatisfied by the end of the main character but still has somewhat of a satisfactory ending as a film.
½ July 15, 2012
A 1960's parboiler disguised as a war movie, The Blue Max has George Peppard playing (rather unconvincingly I might add) a German pilot in WW I willing to go to any lengths to acquire the top award a pilot can get. James Mason plays (rather unconvincingly) his superior. While Peppard doesn't even try and Mason's accent comes and goes, the other actors in this are quite good and give this an air of being convincing. The plot is somewhat ridiculous though, but fun, as thie story got a few chuckles from me.
March 2, 2012
This was a great film of a foot soilder who eventually becomes a pilot and one of the best there is this movie has a great plot and has pretty decent action scenes and can get pretty suspensful at times overall this was a great movie and i also like how it was shown from the Germans side which is not too common in movies
½ December 24, 2011
Intriguing romantic war drama featuring specacular aerial battle photography
August 23, 2011
As I taxi my aircraft onto the runway, its engine throbbing with delight, I glance at my instructor and he smiles then gives me a thumbs up pointing to the cyan sky and shouts "solo with the birds!".

I pushed my throttle forward and my aluminum wings accelerate down the runway. My wheels leaped from the asphalt and my nose points towards the cotton balled cumulus clouds. The engine and propeller pull me from the soft green earth and that's when I hear over the wind noise the prelude music to the Blue Max by Jerry Goldsmith. Chills go down my spine as the Blue Max theme plays in my head. As I execute a climbing turn to dance among the clouds, my aircraft becomes a Fokker DR VII and I become Lieutenant von Fichthorn of Jasta 11.

I saw the Blue Max with my father. I was eight at the time and that film made me want to be a pilot. Twelve years later Im the top of my flight class as pilot in command and have flown for thirty. The Blue Max is a beautiful film reflection of a time when wood and canvas took to the skies and change the rules of war. Perfect casting and solid story line makes this film an icon in the history of film. Putting together a film with this many antique airplanes could never be perfect, but it comes so close to perfection. No pregnant computer generated dog fights in this film.

When I slide the Blue Max CD soundtrack in my cars stereo system, the Blue Max prelude still sends chills down my spine and I start to scan for English SE-5's on my six. The Blue Max is a must see.