Blue Monkey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Monkey Reviews

October 29, 2014
Don't let the fact that there is no monkey in this movie prevent you from seeing it. It's pretty good.
½ October 27, 2012
A fast growing and reproducing parasite puts a hospital under quarantine and forces those trapped in it to destroy the organisms. Several veteran Canadian actors involved here and Joe Flaherty and Robin Duke are along for comic relief. Mediocre.
July 14, 2012
I saw "Blue Monkey" the very 1st day it came out on video, and I ?L?O?V?E?D? it!!!!! So there weren't any monkeys (of any color whatsoever) in the entire movie...SO WHAT?! For me, it's all about the scare factor: how much BOOGA-BOOGA-BOOGA can a horror movie promise, and can it deliver? "Blue Monkey" delivered the goods...AND THEN SOME!!!!!
- Sp!ke Brannigan
(lifelong die-hard science fiction/fantasy/horror junkie)
October 13, 2011
An insect contaminates a hospital. A disappointment overall, especially given the cast headlined by Mr Intensity Steve Railsback. By the looks of it, quarantine here means chaining the doors shut and shooting anyone who tries to escape.
August 3, 2011
pretty boring giant bug movie.
½ April 5, 2011
Not surprised to find that this was still only available from VHS, I revisited it for the weird casting and partly for nostalgia. I still don't care for Railsback, esp. since he seems to always be weakening decent movies that could have been better - Escape 2000, Stunt Man, Lifeforce. He's like the anti-Cushing, pulling down the average.

But this also has John Vernon hamming it up as the hospital admin., while Flaherty and Duke from SCTV give with the comedy relief as a wack-a-doo pregnant couple. The odd name of the flick comes from a comment made by a gang of kids, (including a tiny Sarah Polley) to the effect that they hope to find a blue monkey in the hospital sub-tunnels. They do not.
½ March 22, 2011
When a handyman gets bitten by an elderly woman's plant it sends him into a coma like state where he becomes the host of a strange worm like creature. The entire film takes place in a hospital full of hot female doctors and nurses. When the handyman is hospitalized the worm like creature oozes from his neck. The doctor's take the worm which looks like a link of sausage to run some tests on it.

When the word gets out to some scientists about this worm they immediately set out a distress for the hospital to be closed off and quarantined with everybody still inside. There are some kids with leukemia, a blind woman who drinks a lot and a married couple who are about to have their first child in this hospital.

I suspect the drunk blind woman was only there for comical purposes. The children help the worm like creature increase in size by pouring growth hormone all over it. The married couple are really only there because they're having a baby, but it's the father who is a bit annoying and tries to help a doctor and a detective stop this creature. Weird, right?

This is a very odd movie because nothing happens. The creature looks more like an Ant than a Monkey which is weirder considering the title. I really got bored with everything that was going on because it just doesn't capture your interest. Much of the film just wastes time and I found myself wondering how this film ever got made.

A creature feature with absolutely no value what so ever except for a few scenes where John Vernon appears, a small cameo role of a young Sarah Polley and the drunken blind woman. God bless her.
½ February 7, 2011
January 27, 2011
My ex-husband actually wrote the filnmed version but the guy who wrote the original script swas ticked and wouldn't let my ex get the writing credit. Water under the bridge but my ex really deserved the credit...such as it was.
December 9, 2010
This movie a evaded me since its release back in 1987! Even though I'm told that it's cheap-looking with terrible acting, for any movie to elude me for so long...I gotsta see it!!
September 28, 2008
Blue Monkey is a fun little monster movie about a handyman who gets pricked by a plant in his lady friend's greenhouse. Soon, he keels over and spews out a giant worm while in the hospital. After that, they contain the worm, open it up and reveal a small new species of bug. Well, like any other horror movie to get started, some rascally cancer kids feed the bug growth hormones and it gets huge and starts tearing people's asses apart in the hospital, which has conveniently been quarantined because of the old man's potential spread of a virus. It's up to Steve Railsback (playing a cop), the doctor he is hot on, and an entomologist to stop this bug before it can breed a whole army of super bugs! This is clearly monster/B-movie entertainment that is a lot of fun to watch. Dean Wormer (from Animal House) shows up again, but his role is pretty much wasted. Overall, though, good movie.