Blue River Reviews

• Feb 21, 2015

I'm really not much of a fan of these character dramas. This is much like Rachel Getting Married which I viewed recently: a member of a dysfunctional family returns causing other members to reminisce and reconsider the way they look at the past which influences the present. The difference is this one is pretty good. Sam Elliott overplays the school principal who is a Bible-thumper and trying to "better" the student body. Jerry O'Connell is excellent as the outcast teenager whom trouble seems to cling to like saran-wrap. Unexpectedly decent.

• Feb 10, 2012

This movie is a mess. The story was disjointed. The makeup needed work, which I will say would've been the result of the low-budget. The acting was the best which shows in the actors-Jerry O'Connell, Nick Stahl, Sam Elliott, Susan Dey, Neal McDonough, Patrick Renna, and Jean Marie Barnwell. All were top-notch in their performances. They were what made the movie worth the watch. www.what-to-watch.com

• Mar 08, 2010

Blue River (1995) -- [6.0] -- This ambitious coming-of-age drama stuffs its short running time with a nearly incongruous overview of Ethan Canin's novel, but at least it skims a provocative surface. The story about love and conflict between two brothers is serviced remarkably well by Nick Stahl and Jerry O'Connell (all buff and sexy after dropping his "Stand by Me" pounds). Sam Elliott also brings color as a self-righteous preacher whose meddling threatens to tear the family apart.

• Brody M Super Reviewer