Blue State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue State Reviews

February 2, 2016
I really enjoyed parts of this movie. It did make me stop and think from time to time about different things.

Most of all it left me thinking of this song from the musical "Into the Woods";

Running away- let's do it,
Free from the ties that bind.
No more despair
Or burdens to bear
Out there in the yonder.

Running away- go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care:
Unless there's a "where,"
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions.
Different kinds.

Where are we to go?
Where are we ever to go?

Running away- we'll do it.
Why sit around, resigned?
Trouble is, son,
The farther you run,
The more you feel undefined
For what you've left undone
And, more, what you've left behind.
½ April 19, 2015
just fair-kind of dorky.nothing to rave about.couple of funny parts,but overall it was blah and goofy.
September 5, 2014
This could be my life if sara palin won the election a must see for democrats who wish they fled the bush years
June 28, 2013
To much politics not enough substance
June 26, 2013
Since I didn't turn it off and watched it in its entirety, I'll take that as being a good sign. BLUE STATE was a little film that ended up being moderately entertaining. This was a unique story that flowed pretty well and ended with a satisfying conclusion. There's not much more to it than that. This film wasn't overly complex, interesting or compelling. But overall, it was a bit of harmless fun that came as quick as it left. I must warn you that if you're not into political movies or are right wing, this may not be the film for you. A very generous -- 6/10.
½ June 1, 2013
Noble ideals but this movie lacks the subtlety needed for wise political criticism. And it's an insipid love story. Ham handed characterizations of both Americans and Canadians is also insufferable.
February 27, 2013
While an interesting idea, long parts of the movie are rather boring, but then one does get to the occasional moment of insight.
½ January 23, 2013
political thrillers are a dime a dosen, but political rom-coms are a nice change of pace.
January 14, 2013
Yawn. Canuck bashing drivel.
January 1, 2013
It seemed like a typical road trip romance film from its synopsis but the plot actually offered some surprises I did not expect. Blue State is definitely worth a watch if it fits into your type of movie.
½ October 28, 2012
This movie would probably be pretty boring to someone who isn't interested in offbeat films or politics. But the cast made the film for me, personally. And I've always been a sucker for road trip movies.
½ July 30, 2012
Polarising depending on your politics, perhaps, but this films biggest crime is its predictable love plot. I don't think it deserves the lower score it's been lumbered with here, but that's what you get for making a film that involves opinions.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 18, 2012
I didn't expect much with this film, I thought it was going to be a bad film, however I was pleasantly surprised. I thought that this film was a different, refreshing take on romantic comedies. The cast here do a fine job, and it's what makes this film so special, and better than most. I felt that the film had a great story, and there were more good things going for this film, than bad. The cast are perfect in their roles, and the story itself is well done. I was surprised that this film really was better than what I'd think it is. I very much enjoyed the film, and thought it was a terrific romantic comedy, much different than every other film that came before it or after it. Blue State is a good film, and it has terrific directing. The film is a must see for people looking for a different type of rom-com. Blue State is a fine little film that if you come across, you should check it out. I found something refreshing here, something that doesn't follow the trend of so many other films in this genre. If you want something different, then give this one a viewing. I felt it was a very good film, one that elevated the rom-coms standards a bit more. I felt that this was one of the better films in the genre. The cast and directing make this one work well, and Blue State may surprise you, especially if you're not one to indulge in romantic comedies.
½ March 2, 2012
It's worth noting that I do agree with the politics that the movie was presenting, and if you don't you're probably not going to enjoy it as much as I did. But beneath the political angst there is also a rather charming road movie here that while not perfect, is an enjoyable trip.
½ January 18, 2012
It's an alright story, not really funny or anything. Almost gave it three full stars, then I realized I just enjoyed watching Anna Paquin.
½ January 14, 2012
This film will appeal to people on the political left who share the protagonist's disgust with the policies of the Bush administration. It starts off promisingly, and remains engrossing with some real sparkle for the first hour or so. Unfortunately, the story then degenerates into maudlin nonsense, in fact incorporating many of the familiar cliches associated with boilerplate romantic comedies.
John, the activist moving to Canada in protest of Bush's reelection in 2004, is sometimes irritating but his character is reasonably believable. Chloe, however, is poorly developed as John's complement/foil. Her motivations remain fairly murky, and her tag line, that John "runs away from his problems" is obviously disingenuous, since she is "running away" herself. The movie is further flawed by its sometimes insulting treatment of Canadian culture. Overall, the film develops an interesting subject to a point, and then, sadly, loses its way.
January 6, 2012
It was funny at times, and the politics weren't too bad. I do have a soft spot for disillusioned liberals whose dreams get crushed.
April 27, 2011
I thought about leaving the country myself after Bush was reelected... but I'm glad I could live out that fantasy through this movie instead. I really enjoyed the political parts and I thought Anna Paquin's character was fascinating. Although it could have been done better and some parts could have been left out, it's message was loud and clear.
February 27, 2011
Cute romantic story with a political backdrop.
February 15, 2011
I didn't expect much. This movie has excellent acting and in an unpretentious way does manage to be funny and speak to us depressed American Liberals about not giving up and running away.