Blue Vinyl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Vinyl Reviews

½ July 16, 2009
In this movie, Judith Helfand searches for some answers about sustainability in the plastics & vinyl industries.

Questioning her parents decision to put blue vinyl siding on their house, she sets out to find the truth about vinyl: what are the hazards? are there side-effects? are there dangers in the production and disposal of vinyl?

The result is entertaining, informative, and disturbing. I knew, from my work in the environmental field, that exposure to vinyl chloride is an extremely underrated hazard. Research has shown for years (and Helfand makes a strong case for this in her movie) that vinyl chloride is a carcinogen, and that the production & disposal of vinyl is a serious environmental and health risk.

One new area of concern, which was not addressed by the film, is that regular (so-called "inert") vinyl, found in PVC pipes, vinyl siding, shower curtains, car dashboards, etc., emits small doses of toxic chemicals, which also pose serious concerns.

The film walks you through her process of learning about the industry, talking to victims and various experts, going to trade shows, and her many discussions with her (very patient) parents on this subject.

Fun. Informative. Thought-provoking. What else can you ask for in a movie? I applaud the filmmaker - we need more movies like this one.