Blue Vinyl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Vinyl Reviews

October 30, 2009
Quietly effective, subtle filmmaking
½ July 16, 2009
In this movie, Judith Helfand searches for some answers about sustainability in the plastics & vinyl industries.

Questioning her parents decision to put blue vinyl siding on their house, she sets out to find the truth about vinyl: what are the hazards? are there side-effects? are there dangers in the production and disposal of vinyl?

The result is entertaining, informative, and disturbing. I knew, from my work in the environmental field, that exposure to vinyl chloride is an extremely underrated hazard. Research has shown for years (and Helfand makes a strong case for this in her movie) that vinyl chloride is a carcinogen, and that the production & disposal of vinyl is a serious environmental and health risk.

One new area of concern, which was not addressed by the film, is that regular (so-called "inert") vinyl, found in PVC pipes, vinyl siding, shower curtains, car dashboards, etc., emits small doses of toxic chemicals, which also pose serious concerns.

The film walks you through her process of learning about the industry, talking to victims and various experts, going to trade shows, and her many discussions with her (very patient) parents on this subject.

Fun. Informative. Thought-provoking. What else can you ask for in a movie? I applaud the filmmaker - we need more movies like this one.
August 18, 2008
Something everyone should see before buying or renovating a house
½ July 7, 2008
very cool... it's the truth!!!
June 30, 2008
Made me laugh how she carried that piece of vinyl everywhere she went (in the world) to find out what wasn't written on the box! For the amount of items that are manufactured, it's quite scary-true how wide-spread this problem is... Not just vinyl /PVC use/ production... and how the leaders of organizations do it for the bottom line: money. No matter the people's health or longevity.
June 22, 2008
Advertises itself as the world's first toxic comedy--I don't know if I'd necessarily take that at face value, but for anyone not knowledgeable about the (evils) of vinyl, this is for you. For people already aware of how malicious vinyl is, it's still a good refresher!
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
½ March 7, 2008
It seems like every day there is another product that is being exposed for being toxic. It gets to the point where you just don't want to know anymore and life in a cabin in the woods seems appealing. Yet, you just can't ignore it. This personal story shows how much PVC is affecting us all. I love the fact that she went up against a prominent scientist and showed how scripted these encounters can be. Even if the movie is a little slow, stay until the end because it is heartwarming to know that there are still some people who will take a stand for what they believe is right.
February 9, 2008
I am going to have get the vinyl siding off my house! Looks like vinyl and PVC etc. may be the new asbestos. Makes you wonder what other products we use everyday are using chemicals that are killing us and the planet....all in the name of corporate profits!
January 11, 2008
I admittedly got 10 minutes into this before deleting it from the ol' Tivo, but here's why: when you are making a documentary, I do NOT want to know how your subject is an interesting window through which to view your own personal tragic story. It's cliched and it's boring.
December 1, 2007
extremely personal, revealing, socially conscious and sincere.
November 14, 2007
Though I've only seen it once, have given it 3 stars, and consider it to be somewhat "slow," I still consider it to be a really good film, considering that it DOES address environmental issues in southwest Louisiana. Telling my mom about it prompted her to tell my aunt, who wound up watching it.
September 7, 2007
Judith spoke at UNCW-interesting film.
½ August 29, 2007
This documentary has a lot fo bite for being so low budget. What is wonderful is that this film proves you don't need a giant grant to make a film full of vim and vigour. This little documentary has such a strong message that it might just make you rethink the glory of vinyl.
½ July 23, 2007
A rambling, stubborn documentary that tries desperately to turn you against vinyl siding (with little success). Still, it is quite informative.
July 19, 2007
this movie proves that trying to make a point can bite you in the ass sometimes. i just hope she made enough to pay for that barn she bought.
½ June 23, 2007
shows the power of one person wonderfully.
June 16, 2007
Amusing but can get on yours nerves after a while. That said, the documentary reveals some amazing information.
½ June 10, 2007
Another good food-for-thought documentary.