Reviews

• Jan 27, 2019

The best movie song ever sung(?): the title song!

The best movie song ever sung(?): the title song!

• Oct 14, 2015

A small-time band of musicians gets mixed up with a small-time gang of criminals in this weird movie with cheesy rapid-fire dialogue and characterizations, but also with some stylish and wild sequences.

• May 07, 2015

Murky, uneven Warner Bros. musical melodrama starts out with a bang, then digresses; Arlen-Mercer score includes "This Time the Dream's On Me" and the Oscar-nominated title song.

• Dec 17, 2008

I'll be honest and say that this was playing in the background while I was doing other stuff, but what I saw was quite enjoyable. It's a musical noir more or less. Also on my copy of the DVD, the remarkable Jammin' the Blues, by Gjon Mili!

• Dec 14, 2008

Fascinating mix of film noir, musical, drama and touches of comedy. The music is amazing, fine performances, especially the supporting cast. Great cinematography, well edited

• Jul 20, 2008

Good music, but this movie suffers from multiple-personality disorder: first it's a movie about a band, then it's a film noir, then it's a relationship melodrama, then it's a band movie again. It's neat to see Elia Kazan in front of the camera, and there's a great montage at the end from Don Siegel.

• Sep 30, 2007

Quite the dramatic movie. I didn't expect it to be that dramatic, going into it- but it was pretty crazy. I liked it- it was a fun film.

• Jul 19, 2007

All CLASSICS are GOOD

All CLASSICS are GOOD

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Apr 04, 2007

Atmospheric music drama, not a musical. What more can you say about a movie where Priscilla Lane's character is named Character.