Body Bags - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Body Bags Reviews

November 17, 2016
John Carpenter's attempt at a collection of horror shorts. Body Bags does not really stand out akin to Creepshow or Tales from the Darkside, but is still somewhat entertaining with good actor cameos.
October 23, 2016
I'm a sucker for anthology films. Body Bags offers three different tales that each offer a unique scare. Horror fans will have fun spotting the various cameos scattered throughout the production, plus John Carpenter hams it up as the host of the anthology. While the movie itself is far from perfect, it's still fun and entertaining. 4 stars
June 2, 2016
I was curious to see this, two great horror directors joining together for one movie, it goes for a more jokey fun vibe, kinda like creepshow, it's uneven, the first segment is pretty good, the second is silly, with some laughably bad effects, the last one is ok, i admit i did like seeing many horror directors and old actors make cameos, fans of horror will likely appreciate it
January 10, 2016
Open up this body bag and you'll find some truly eerie, sometimes funny, but always frightening scares. This made for TV movie that was supposed to be the jumping off platform for a horror anthology series that never happened has a lot to see-mainly a parade of horror's all time greatest directors making cameo appearances, as well as great actors and pop stars rounding out the cast. Some people dismiss this immediately as a "Tales from the Crypt" ripoff. To which I say, so? I don't care where I get my scares from. Besides, all of these great directors (John Carpenter, Tobe Hooper, with cameos by Sam Raimi and Wes Craven) contributed to this. Now let's open up the bags! Bag #1: The Gas Station. A lonely woman working the graveyard shift (pun intended) at an all night pump and go in the middle of nowhere wonders which one of her many quirky (and at times unsettling) customers is the recently escaped mental patient whose been hacking his way around the desolate landscape-and if she's next. Bag #2: Hair! No relation to the musical. One of my all time favorite actors, Stacy Keach, plays a man obsessed with his disappearing hair who finds an all-too perfect solution. (heh heh heh). The first two bags were directed by Carpenter (who also plays our ghastly host). Now bag #3 is Tobe Hooper stepping up to bat and knocking one out of the park with "Eye," about a baseball player who loses an eye and, in an effort to save his career, undergoes an experimental eye transplant. He regains his sight, but begins to see things no person should be forced to see. Thanks to Scream Factory for digging this up (wink wink) so now this lost horror classic can be rediscovered and enjoyed by aficionados of scare and scare alike.
October 5, 2015
This was meant to be Showtime Network's equivalent of the Tales from the Crypts serials. The EG Comics influence is melded with John Carpenter's Spartan gallows humor immediately with the rockabilly keyboard score. Carpenter is the emcee of three ghastly tales and he is clearly effervescent in the ringleader role of the morgue attendant. He guzzles formaldehyde and makes sardonic remarks directly to the audience about the "arriving departed" like a Rat Pack lounge singer. It's a shame the show wasn't greenlit for more seasons. He desecrates corpses with a nihilistic lightness of touch and he moves like Danny Kaye. The first segment is The Gas Station, a Hitchcockian story about a new employee at a gas station. Carpenter plagues the viewers with the fear of claustrophobic isolation where the customers could be unhinged and there is no backup for miles. Mostly though, it is a sluggish litany of in-jokes to Haddonfield, a David Naughton (from 'An American Werewolf in London') appearance and a voyeuristic cameo by Wes Craven which is amusingly leering nevertheless. It basically recycles the vexing customers of 'Clerks' with a highly transparent paranoia twist. The next segment, Hair, is more openly facetious in tone. Stacy Keach is a vain gentleman with rapidly thinning follicles and he is obsessively looking for alternatives to his issue. It's a debatably superior step above the previous yarn and Keach is vulnerably tongue-in-cheek with his quiet desperation of hair restoration via therapy tapes and dye treatment. It is ebullient when he rejoices happily in front of the mirror with his new Stallion hairstyle and it's an astute social commentary on the impotence of bald men. The final vignette is Eye, which is the most taut of the three. Mark Hamill is full-tilt hammy and this could've been his audition for the Clown Prince. None of these stories are particularly innovative but the actors are unanimously stupendous. Overall, this failed pilot is a ghoulishly mischievous standalone feature but it doesn't ascend to the top tier of anthology films.
½ June 29, 2015
Good horror anthology especially made from horror legends John Carpenter (Halloween and The Thing) and Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist). There needs to be horror films like these nowadays.
March 20, 2015
WELL, when I was little the "Hair" segment really fucked me up, but now that I'm old, it's absolutely my favorite segment. And still disgusting :<
½ January 16, 2015
This was a film that I sat down to watch (courtesy of the recent Scream Factory Blu-ray) and was shocked to find that it was a first time viewing, as this just felt like something I would've watched way back in the VHS days.

It's a decent little time-waster of an anthology film, and I'm happy to have finally given it a day in court.

Rental!
½ November 28, 2014
Nice anthology of short horror stories (with stellar casts) tied together by John Carpenter himself.

While the stories aren't terribly original they are done well. The first story at the gas station is the best. However, seeing Mark Hamill be completely insane was a wonderful treat.

There is some slick humour in here too, and lots of nods to Haddonfield.
October 29, 2014
Good fun from John Carpenter. The second part with Stacy Keach is a 4 and a half star effort, and the third act is a solid 3 and a half, but the first drags. Well worth a watch. Good stuff.
½ October 6, 2014
I like it more in theory than in practice. The first tale is a solid entry into the slasher subgenre and the framework story starring the man himself is fun; but the other two stories are a tad disappointing.
½ October 2, 2014
For a anthology film, it's kinda weak. It tries to be a cross between Tales from the Crypt and Creepshow but it never goes that far. You get 3 shorts and I gotta say none of them are that great. It's good as a product of its time but unless if you're a big horror fan you'll probably get bored. That said, this movie exists solely for the cameos. It was cool seeing Mark Hamill, Sam Raimi, Greg Nicotero, Roger Corman, David Warner, Wes Craven Tobe Hooper, and Carpenter himself in one film.
September 9, 2014
I absolutely love this 3 stories really loved it. and a lot of good cameos
September 2, 2014
I've seen worst compilation horror films than this,no story really stands out it's very 90's lol
½ August 30, 2014
Body Bags is not very scary but it is a very entertaining (with some gore) film. The stories are interesting and there's even some comedy thrown in...but it works!!! Good movie from the 90s, it surprised me :)
½ August 4, 2014
As with all anthology films, there is going to be a hit or miss quality to it, and "Body Bags" from John Carpenter and Tobe Hooper is no exception. Originally intended as a pilot for a series on Showtime, meant as their answer to "Tales from the Crypt", but the network decided against pursuing the series and thus an anthology film was born. John Carpenter directs the first two segments, and the third is directed by Tobe Hooper. The stories are unconnected beyond Carpenter appearing as "The Coroner", a loon working in a morgue who acts a little too much like the Crypt Keeper to feel original. "The Gas Station" is average slasher stuff, "The Hair" is not too exciting but is just weird enough to remain memorable, and "The Eye" is possibly the best of the three stories. None of these stories are too much fun or scary, but it has moments.
½ April 7, 2014
A good try at the horror trilogy idea but falls short of being as good as others similar to it.
John Carpenter was fun as the host of the trilogy.
March 24, 2014
Body Bags is a Tales From the Crypt like film, which had some cool satire in the story presentation segments, however, all 3 stories were very weak in my eyes, just very uninteresting and boring for the most part. Only decent story was the baseball player and his eye.
March 6, 2014
Body Bags consists of three tales of terror - sometimes uneven, but it boasts substantial tension, a helping of macabre humor, Mark Hamill going insane, and the joy of seeing Director John Carpenter in front of the camera.
½ February 7, 2014
Campy but fun anthology horror with some fun cameos.