Bolivia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bolivia Reviews

½ November 20, 2014
Um pequeno conto sobre grandes problemas.
April 22, 2014
Buena, pero deprimente. Lo único que no me gustó es que fue filmada en negro y blanco/Good but depressing. The only thing I did not like is that it was filmed in black and white
½ March 28, 2013
I watched it last night. It gives the veiwer something to think about. Mostly "what would I do if I was being forced to move out of my homeland and work as an illegall elsewhere where I don't matter to anyone (as it turns out).The main character is a refugee of the failed US drug war, mentioning he was previously in agriculture "picking fruit and the coca leaf" until the "Yankees" decided to "burn" the plants and now nothing grows and nobody has work. Does anyone remember Paraquat? Thats what he is referring to. It just shows you what Real effect elite politicians don't do a lot of analysis into how their policies affect other countries and the people in them. If anyone should have been angry and resentful in this movie it should have been him. Watch it for yourself and see what I mean.
June 28, 2012
"Bolivia" is a small film, but it holds our attention because of what director Adrian Caetano has done with the story about human beings that roam the globe in search of a meager salary, for them and their families, only to get the scorn from the people that benefit from their labor.
March 11, 2012
Verite exploration of racism and immigration in Buenos Aires during their economic crises in the early oughts. The film is working class down to its very form and scope. Beautifully simple and resonating with truthful performances, it manages to be charged and quiet all at the same time. And while it might break its tone with a few flourishes and reach for more of a plot than it really needs in its third act, it survives intact as a morally and aesthetically ambitious act of art.
April 9, 2011
A very well made film that makes its point. Adrian Caetano's first solo project is a strong entry. Characters are finely etched. Gritty B/W makes it memorable. Strangely it reminded me of Wog Kar Wai (For Happy Together) and Mike Leigh (Any of his films) in a nice way.
½ January 26, 2011
I was honestly not expecting much from this movie, but it didn't disappoint at all. For a black-and-white, low-budget and relatively short movie, this made a powerful and simple statement about discrimination on the basis of ethnicity/nationality and how universal it is. We see it here in the U.S., but such undignified prejudice against immigrants is present in other countries as well. Stellar directing also made this movie very enjoyable.
April 21, 2010
It was an Argentinean & Dutch Production. Filmed in black & white & on a low budget the film was shot 3 days a week over a period of three years. Kind of a neo-realism slice of life film the mostly plot-free film is confined to a café-bar in the lower-middle class Buenos Aires suburb of Villa Crespo, with few trips outside. It tells the story of Freddy (Freddy Flores), a Bolivian with a gentle disposition, who, after Americans burn down the coca fields where he is employed, loses his job. With little work opportunities in Bolivia, he leaves his wife & three daughters & travels to Argentina to search for employment as an undocumented worker. He hopes to make money & later return to his family. He lands a job as a grill cook in a seedy Villa Crespo café where the owner (Enrique Liporace) is happy to skirt Argentinean immigrant laws in order to secure cheap labor. It is in this café that Freddy meets the characters who affect his life: Rosa (Rosa Sanchez), a waitress of Paraguayan/Argentine descent, & an outsider by virtue of her mixed heritage; Hector (Hector Anglada), a traveling salesman from the province of Córdoba who's gay; a Porteno taxi driver (Oscar Bertea), & one of the driver's buddies. Freddy also has to deal with various Argentine café patrons who view all Paraguayans & Bolivians with disdain due to their ethnicity. The film gives us a realistic portrayal of racism immigrant labor & prejudices in Argentina. Cateano used professional & non professional actors. Freddy Flores was a local non professional. Other reviewers state this film is for art film students only. I disagree. All interested in foreign film & film in South America & Argentina will like this film. It very realistic & I enjoyed it. This short 75 minute film about poverty, intolerance, violence, & despair in contemporary Argentina is powerful & I recommend it. This is a universal story. 3 stars.
January 26, 2010
triste, real, como es la gente en el mundo
December 28, 2009
Bolivia (2001) This is the first feature-length film from director Israel Adrian Caetano. It was an Argentinean & Dutch Production. Filmed in black & white & on a low budget the film was shot 3 days a week over a period of three years. Kind of a neo-realism slice of life film the mostly plot-free film is confined to a caf�©-bar in the lower-middle class Buenos Aires suburb of Villa Crespo, with few trips outside. It tells the story of Freddy (Freddy Flores), a Bolivian with a gentle disposition, who, after Americans burn down the coca fields where he is employed, loses his job. With little work opportunities in Bolivia, he leaves his wife & three daughters & travels to Argentina to search for employment as an undocumented worker. He hopes to make money & later return to his family. He lands a job as a grill cook in a seedy Villa Crespo caf�© where the owner (Enrique Liporace) is happy to skirt Argentinean immigrant laws in order to secure cheap labor. It is in this caf�© that Freddy meets the characters who affect his life: Rosa (Rosa Sanchez), a waitress of Paraguayan/Argentine descent, & an outsider by virtue of her mixed heritage; Hector (Hector Anglada), a traveling salesman from the province of C�³rdoba who's gay; a Porteno taxi driver (Oscar Bertea), & one of the driver's buddies. Freddy also has to deal with various Argentine caf�© patrons who view all Paraguayans & Bolivians with disdain due to their ethnicity. The film gives us a realistic portrayal of racism immigrant labor & prejudices in Argentina. Cateano used professional & non professional actors. Freddy Flores was a local non professional. Other reviewers state this film is for art film students only. I disagree. All interested in foreign film & film in South America & Argentina will like this film. It very realistic & I enjoyed it. This short 75 minute film about poverty, intolerance, violence, & despair in contemporary Argentina is powerful & I recommend it. This is a universal story. 3 stars.
½ October 21, 2009
Short story about a bolivian immigrant in Argentina. Flows naturally, presenting the never ending story. Like US for mexicans, Argentina is for bolivians. And of course, the repetitive story of hating the immigrants, that "take" your job. The black and white gives it a plus.
May 8, 2009
Buena y jugosa como las salteñas. Amarga y trágica como el sueño de la migración.
½ April 2, 2009
A neat B&W movie that highlights the immigrant's plight using a tragic plot and an ensemble of interesting characters.
November 22, 2008
If you like b&w experiential films with subtitles, Bolivia is pretty good. Tight in scope, yet the few themes cut deep. Decent little movie.
June 5, 2008
La historia de mi madre tierra. El guion cuenta la historia de como los camelidos sudamericanos logramos despejar nuestro querido altiplano de demonios, bestias y chupasangres. El bien contra el mal, el cielo contra el infierno, la humildad contra la maldad. Llamen ya!
April 26, 2008
I always believe, when we see creative works are coming from a country, which indicates its base is fertile to produce intellectual people and surely they will change the society for the better cause. This movie is one of those creative works. That is why Latin America is changing its political axis. 16 out of 17 elections (one was stolen in Mexico) are won by the parties who talk about peoples need. This is amazing!
½ February 28, 2008
Fantastic film about an "illegal" immigrant forced to move from Bolivia to Argentina to find work after his coca crop is destroyed. A contemporary perspective on class, poverty, and racism in south America that is worth your damn time.
½ December 15, 2007
very very well done film ... claustrophobic.
½ November 6, 2007
chevere, me entretuvo, sencilla, necesaria, pero ya un poco gastada, me gusto mas "un oso rojo del mismo director"
½ October 25, 2007
buena foto y contundente argumento.