Bombay Talkies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bombay Talkies Reviews

March 27, 2015
I just found out I like Bollywood. This movie is a compilation of 4 half hour stories. A gay man. A man performing a bit part in a movie. A boy who wants to sing and dance and cross dress. A son who embarks on a mission to fulfill his father's last wish. All directed by accomplished Bollywood directors.
August 29, 2014
Made up of four 30-minute stories, well-crafted and told, reflecting various facets of society in Mumbai. I shall name them 'The Closet, 'The Extra', 'The Dancer' and 'The Murabba' :)
July 7, 2014
Four stories. Bore stories. 0/5.
May 9, 2014
Day: Friday
Date: 2 May 2014
Time: 8.30 pm
With: No one
April 27, 2014
A tribute to 100 years of Indian cinema by 4 excellent directors from current generation of Bollywood storytellers. A must watch on iTunes or rent from your local Indian store.
½ January 18, 2014
a nice attempt and all the four stories try to hit your emotional chord. Personally i loved the work by Karan Johar and Anurag Kashyap. Probably one of the sensible works dished out by Bollywood in 2013.
½ December 29, 2013
for a tribute to 100 years of hindi cinema, this was a rather disappointing effort come on - the most fun was the shameless star gazing just before the credits rolled.
imho, story 4 was the best (especially the ending) and the lead actor in story 2 undoubtedly clincher of 'best performance'. story 1 and 3 were contrived : bollywood, you're a tad late jumping on the gay/girl-trapped-in-boy's-body bandwagon; they just felt very old.
November 22, 2013
What a wonderful collection of shorts from some seriously talented filmmakers (yes, I'm mentioning Johar in this company as well because even though his short is the most flawed and overrated, this is the best work he has ever done). Every story has its own charms and is told in a way that is specific to the filmmaker's style. My favorite was Dibaker Banerjee's, which was based on a short story by Satyajit Ray, but that's not to say Zoya Akhtar's or Anurag Kashyap's was lesser. I'm just a Dibaker fan girl. Watch Bombay Talkies to see which one wins your heart the most (because they will all win your heart). Bollywood - I want more films like this!!!
November 7, 2013
an excellent anthology film with strong focus on the script and performances. some nice music to go with it too. all the directors and actors compete with one another.
½ September 20, 2013
The movie is a collection of four short films, respectively directed by relatively young but established directors. Karan Johar is the most experienced of the lot. The movie is an attempt to commemorate completion of 100 years of Indian Cinema and it has been wisely named 'Bombay Talkies' as the sensibility throughout the movie is that of a Mumbaikar aka Bombayite. The ratio of class vs. mass responsible in ringing the theatres/talkies cash boxes in the aforesaid 100 years is 1:3. Similarly, in the movie, the ratio of short films intended for class vs. mass is also 1:3. All the four short films are sans any caption. They just start with the display of their director's name.

Noteworthy things about each of the director's short film are as follows -

Karan's story takes a fresh call on gay culture. It's the first Indian depiction, wherein a gay character is shown in his natural being without making him comical or distinctively feminine or unnaturally physical. Hats off to Karan for taking this first forward step. Also, this must be the boldest movie of Randeep Hooda's career.

Dibakar's story is totally a one man show i.e. Nawazuddin from first frame to the last. He is simply amazing as an actor. Don't miss the facial twitching that he emotes to convey nervousness.

Zoya has managed to extract very good acting as well as dancing from child actor Naman Jain. The storyline is also very new i.e. of a male child aspiring to become an item girl upon growing up!

Anurag has tried to depict the God like status that some Bollywood superstars enjoy in the heart and families of so many Indians, especially amongst the non-urban population. He has also highlighted how fans like to brag about simple chance meetings with their idols.

In short the directors have tried to establish certain facts via their stories, that is, all said and done, the movies do form an integral part of an average Indian's life - our fantasies are associated with them, we aspire from them, we connect through them, there is a filmy song for each and every mood that we undergo, and last but not the least our movies do play an important part in creating the much required social awareness on various taboo topics and with time the filmmakers are actually experimenting with an assorted platter of new and revolutionary subjects.

In this movie, all the directors and actors have done a good job. Critics quotient of the movie is fine but the entertainment quotient could have been better.
July 24, 2013
Bland plot ideas, mediocre script & halfhearted choreography equal 4 extremely pointless short-films.
½ July 8, 2013
It's the best movie ever... for someone who is ok with the thought of being ok with his kid aspiring to be a tranny.
½ May 20, 2013

Karan Johar's 'Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh' - Starts off powerfully, but lets down. As always, Karan Johar overdoes it, exaggerates the plot, and all that. This one's the weakest of the 4 movies if you'd ask me.

Dibakar Banerjee's 'Star' - WOW! Definitely the best of the 4 films, and in fact, probably one of the most beautiful works of Indian cinema that I have watched lately. Perfectly done, and so so simple, yet so beautifully touching!

Zoya Akthar's 'Sheila Ki Jawani' - Cute!

Anurag Kashyap's 'Murabba' - Interesting, powerful, and probably the one of the 4 that stays with you the longest! As always, Kashyap develops his characters beautifully, and Amit Trivedi's music raises the film a little higher!

On the whole, surprising to see such simple arthouse cinema as one of the most anticipated releases of the year, and if the aim was to set a milestone for the Hindi Film Industry introducing arthouse cinema into the mainstream, they did not fail!
½ May 18, 2013
It was plain sad that I watched Bombay Talkies in West Delhi with a disgusting Salman Khansque crowd! The film anyways is a great tribute to 100 years of cinema! Among the four directors, Dibakar Bannerjee steals the show with a timeless short story that features Nawazuddin Siddiqui delvering one of the finest performances of the decade. Anurag Kashyap directs a rather simple tale but the way he coalesces visuals & sound is just brilliant. It's thoroughly entertaining, and sums up the film pretty well in style. Zoya Akhtar & Karan Johar's stories are pretty convincing but somehow the ending felt a lil incomplete. The film is definitely worth watching in theatres, it's a celebration of cinema, go watch it people! (Avoid the closing credits).
½ May 18, 2013
Karan Johar directed a very great story though I didn't understand the connection to cinema per se! Dibakar's story blew me out of water, based on Satyajit Ray's work was simply the height of the film, kudos! Zoya Akhtar's short story was the weakest link of the movie, one dimensional characters and weak plot was the cause. Anurag Kashyap didn't live upto his reputation but still a decent effort with a dark humor it was.
May 18, 2013
It celebrates how Indian cinema affects us rather than Indian cinema.
Karan Johar & Dibakar Banerjee's short films are purely superb while Nawazuddin Siddiqui's performance is terrific. Must Watch.
May 17, 2013
Joker kisko bola. Apne baap ko bola sir aap aao