The Bone Collector - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bone Collector Reviews

August 24, 2014
The 90´s were a fantastic decade for cinema with films like "Pulp Fiction", "Reservoir Dogs", "Toy Story", " American Beauty", "Being John Malkovich ", "The Matrix", "The Silence of the Lambs", "Seven" , etc. Those last two films had such an impact in the thriller genre that Hollywood tried numerous times to replicate their success and "The Bone Collector" is one of those attempts.
In 1997, New York City has a new serial killer who extracts a piece of a bone from the victims and leaves clues that leads to the next victim and his/her identity. This serial killer is investigated by a quadriplegic and ex forensic expert Lincoln Rhyme, Lincoln recruits a Police Officer Amelia Donaghy who discovered the body of a victim on a train tracks. Together they will try to solve the clues left by the serial killer.
Being a thriller, I expected that "The Bone Collector" would count with an exciting and bone chilling story but instead counts with one of the most boring and forgettable stories I ever seen, it had my interest for like 30 minutes but that's as far as it went. Director Philip Noyce tries too hard, and fails, to duplicate Jonathans Demme´s work in "The Silence of the Lambs" with the dark atmosphere and brutal murders of "Seven", he also seem tried to have some physiological aspects but there simply not there. Another flaw is that it wasted its good cast in dull characters: Denzel Washington is lying on a bed the entire film thus limiting his acting abilities, Michael Rooker is just walking into the scenes without any weight and Angelina Jolie gives an adequate performance as a Clarice Starling wanna be.
"The Bone Collector" aimed to be as good as "Seven" but failed by the lack of interesting characters, memorable scenes, entertainment and a good story. While it counts with adequate performances by Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie, they could save this forgettable film
½ August 14, 2014
Denzel rules here, one of his best performances in my opinion.
August 14, 2014
One of the best thriller movies of all time!
August 7, 2014
This was probably wen Angelina Jolie was peaking...
August 7, 2014
3 stars!

Not a bad film! Nice twist with the killer. All in all quite a good thriller.
½ August 3, 2014
Película hija de 'Se7en'... Buenos actores y buen montaje (la verdad sea dicha), pero el guión no da de sí. En fin.

Nota: 5.1/10
½ July 26, 2014
Fantastic horror/thriller movie
May 31, 2014
As is often the case, ignore most of the 'professional' critical reviews. This is an enyoyable movie about a serial killer seen through the eyes of the forensic pathologist.Not up there with 'Se7en', but more than passable.
May 14, 2014
A film that is trying to be Se7en. Total failure., a tasteless thriller.
April 13, 2014
one of the best from Denzel Washington
½ April 7, 2014
What horribly boring movie. After 13 years, I finally got to see the movie with great anticipation for what I thought was a wonderful thriller.

What a great disappointment.
March 28, 2014
Denzel Washington is forensics expert Lincoln Rhymes who is brought in on a grisly case when a twisted serial killer emerges. With the assistant of officer Amelia Donaghy played by Angelina these two must work as a team before the killer kills again. Who would've thought a suspense thriller where the main character is bed ridden would be so tense? It just goes to show Director Phillip Noyce knows how to get under your skin whilst keeping the answer hidden until the very end, and by the end I was still guessing. I liked the set-up and the characters, but the plot is still your rather typical who-dunnit, but the actual murders and images of the victims are disturbing and grim enough to set The Bone Collector apart from other thrillers. The pipe steam scene topped the gore level, whilst you never see the women get scalded it's implied, you can imagine the heat searing her skin off, and it's the reactions and expressions from the actors that make the whole moment feel more real. With a line-up like Washington, Jolie, Latifah and Cannavale the talent scale is at a high level and their performances are incredbile, watch this movie now!
February 23, 2014
One of my favorites - both book & movie!
February 5, 2014
Reasonably good thriller supported by a good cast. Worth the 90 minutes even though the results are predictable, but would you want it any other way?
December 26, 2013
It didn't really engage me as much as a crime thriller should. I won't spoil anything, but the ending was very random and weak. (First and only full viewing - May 2013)
December 23, 2013
This passed me by when it first came out and while it was enjoyable the fact that the non suspicious character near the start was played by that actor who plays a complete lunatic in everything, kind of spoiled the end game surprise.
December 21, 2013
Not a "must see" but a "can watch it".
½ December 16, 2013
Good in places, immensely implausible in the rest.
December 16, 2013
Interesting plot, great cast, but mundane and lifeless film. Needed a better script to be this serious.
½ December 11, 2013
nach so langer zeit immer noch für spannend befunden