The Bone Collector - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bone Collector Reviews

½ April 7, 2014
What horribly boring movie. After 13 years, I finally got to see the movie with great anticipation for what I thought was a wonderful thriller.

What a great disappointment.
March 28, 2014
Denzel Washington is forensics expert Lincoln Rhymes who is brought in on a grisly case when a twisted serial killer emerges. With the assistant of officer Amelia Donaghy played by Angelina these two must work as a team before the killer kills again. Who would've thought a suspense thriller where the main character is bed ridden would be so tense? It just goes to show Director Phillip Noyce knows how to get under your skin whilst keeping the answer hidden until the very end, and by the end I was still guessing. I liked the set-up and the characters, but the plot is still your rather typical who-dunnit, but the actual murders and images of the victims are disturbing and grim enough to set The Bone Collector apart from other thrillers. The pipe steam scene topped the gore level, whilst you never see the women get scalded it's implied, you can imagine the heat searing her skin off, and it's the reactions and expressions from the actors that make the whole moment feel more real. With a line-up like Washington, Jolie, Latifah and Cannavale the talent scale is at a high level and their performances are incredbile, watch this movie now!
February 23, 2014
One of my favorites - both book & movie!
February 5, 2014
Reasonably good thriller supported by a good cast. Worth the 90 minutes even though the results are predictable, but would you want it any other way?
December 26, 2013
It didn't really engage me as much as a crime thriller should. I won't spoil anything, but the ending was very random and weak. (First and only full viewing - May 2013)
December 23, 2013
This passed me by when it first came out and while it was enjoyable the fact that the non suspicious character near the start was played by that actor who plays a complete lunatic in everything, kind of spoiled the end game surprise.
December 21, 2013
Not a "must see" but a "can watch it".
½ December 16, 2013
Good in places, immensely implausible in the rest.
December 16, 2013
Interesting plot, great cast, but mundane and lifeless film. Needed a better script to be this serious.
½ December 11, 2013
nach so langer zeit immer noch für spannend befunden
November 3, 2013
Film "the Power of Fear" was a surprisingly exciting, Denzel Washington played very well in the movie!!!My score to the film 4 out of 5!!
November 1, 2013
Phillip Noyce is a brilliant director, his latest adventure Salt is spectacular and The Bone Collector is one of his other unforgettable movies, a mysterious and nerve shredding suspense thriller with unpredictable plot turns throughout. With an excellent cast with the likes of Angelina Jolie, Denzel Washington, Ed O'Neill and Queen Latifah and a phenomenal twist end that had me literally at the edge of my seat with shock.
September 8, 2013
Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie muster enough electricity to make The Bone Collector a watchable thriller.
August 6, 2013
Not bad. Not good. Not altogether memorable.
July 23, 2013
1999's Fight Club Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 22, 2013
Monday, July 15, 2013

(1999) The Bone Collector
THRILLER

Based on the Jeffrey Deavor novel starring Denzil Washington as top criminologist Lincoln Rhyme and as a result of an accident becomes a paraplegic where he can do nothing except stay in bed 24/7. A murder is discovered, and rookie cop happens to be nearby and volunteers to investigate and she is Amelia Donaghy played by Angela Jolie. Ryme wants her to stick to the case even though she doesn't really want to but is somehow forced into it since it's assumed that these other specific cops generally fumble at collecting and gathering evidence rather than follow Ryme's rules.

Although based on novel by author Deavor, this movie has many visual similarities to the 1991 movie "Silence Of the Lambs" where the Jodie Foster character has to work with the Anthony Hopkins in order to catch a deranged serial killer. In this case, Jolie has to work with Washington and they're great together in much of the film, but they're so many unnecessary scenes of victims being tortured to death when it may have worked more effectively if they showed them as the two stars were solving it. The director Phillip Noyce obviously had to compromise with producers who wanted the audience to feel the same pain as the killer's victims do. I mean, just because it works on some serial killer films, it doesn't mean that it'll work on this film. I mean how can the audience look at the point of view of the serial killer when we don't even know what he looks like in the first place.

2 out of 4 stars
July 22, 2013
Not sure why this was panned so hard by the critics, it's definitely better than Taking Lives. Perhaps it was that theaters were inundated with this type of movie when it was released, but it wasn't bad
July 18, 2013
Watch it for some sparkling performances.
July 13, 2013
There is certainly enough to keep the viewer guessing and entertained. Jolie and Denzel are awesome as the student and mentor.
½ July 5, 2013
muy buena pelicula excelente trama