The Bone Snatcher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bone Snatcher Reviews

½ October 5, 2013
At first it seemed like this was going to be a winner. A team searches the African desert for a few missing people, only to find their bones picked clean. Later on we find out that the desert is infested with man-eating ants which, in order to hunt and survive, swarm up along with human remains, creating some sort of a zombified creature.

Although an interesting concept, it was poorly executed. The characters are only barely exposed to danger, we hardly even get a good look of the creature, and generally the plot was extremely slow-paced and boring. Most of the time we just witness our main characters traveling through the desert, chatting, and staying up during the night.

As for the special effects, the monster, and the ants along with it, were done mostly in bad CGI and everything looked extremely fake. The only visually appealing thing here was the desert shooting location.

Overall this one was a borefest, and a waste of an interesting concept. Don't waste your time.
May 14, 2013
Kinda strange, not very scary, and not very good acting. But it's watchable.
April 27, 2013
Just saw it. I can only think that the 25% of the audience that "liked it" were ants. This was a bad movie. Nothing redeems this movie, even with the "twist" at the end when the "scientist" sacrifices the love interest. Watch ANYthing else... even Lincoln vs the Vampires. Run. Save yourself. Don't go in there. BE the one that survives.
½ January 16, 2013
very great horror film! not very gory.. but had much blood in it!!
½ October 28, 2012
The concept of the film has potential, but really low-budget special effects hinder it into C movie lameness. The movie could have been much scarier with better visuals of the monster, but like I said- shockingly low budget on that front! It is cool to see this movie set in the S. African desert, as the landscapes are interesting. I give it 1 star for the setting, and the potential of the plot.... and 1/2 star for fairly descent acting, plus Rachel Shelley is hot. Obviously much more could have been done to this film to make it better. At the end, it looks like another one of the monster's eggs is being transported by Rachel in the taxi- could this lead to a Snatcher II? We can only anticipate! LoL
September 3, 2012
I don't understand this film, I really don't. So there are some carnivorous ants in the desert, alright. Acting... Non-existent, plot... Non-existent. Definitely one of the least scary horror films. The special effect was really crappy, even for a low budget B-movie. Most of the film is about characters reading lines, don't even bother with this junk.
April 1, 2012
My favorite B-movie! Crappy acting along with a crappy ending,but you gotta love the short screen time the ''monster'' gets. The ending was terrible,but what do you expect from such a low budget movie?
February 3, 2012
Bad acting abounds.The CGI effects are low budget and the script was written by a five year old.I just can't resist a bad B movies,so of that's your thing you've stuck gold.
March 16, 2011
this was quite good-- acting and script, minimalist. better than hyped crap with hollywood twits like inception
½ March 14, 2011
Some prospectors for a mining company are working in the Namib desert in Africa when they suddenly go missing. The company sends a team to investigate, including new systems analyst Zach...just what you need when looking for people in the desert, a guy who works on computers.
Anyway, human remains are found stripped of their flesh and some tracks leading into the desert, so the team investigate further.
Zach sees something in the desert, yet nobody really believes him, which is strange conisdering the 3 corpses they found.
Turns out that thousands of tiny creatures (I won't spoil it by telling you what they are although, the box art gives the game away) are after everyone and are capable of stripping flesh from bone in seconds.
The creatures are also capable of uniting into a larger organism (once again this isn't really a spoiler as it's on the synopsis on the back of the case) and hunting their prey.
Unfortunately, most of the cgi is very dated looking and detracts slightly from the proceedings.
The acting is nothing special and there are some jumps in the story which may be down to poor editing or just a rushed filming process, especially at the end of the film.
On a plus side the creature is quite intruiging and looks quite good when it's a single larger organism.
Not a great film but not a super crap one either. Worth getting if you fancy something that won't tax your brain, or your wallet as you should be able to get this for about £1.00.
March 4, 2011
I gave this movie 30% because of the great acting (considering the script). The script, story, directing and music, I give a 0%. And this is why:
In the movie, nothing is explained at all, every single turn of events which comes about happens "just because". 90% of these events can not possible be fixed even with careful planning as to why they happen. This is about the script and story.

Directing here had some mediocre moments, but got destroyed by the terrible portrayal of the monster thingy. The first thing that happens in the movie after the title is the monster (basically.. maybe within 5 minutes), and when I saw this, I really hoped that this was just a stupid mistake, but sadly no, it wasn't. Whenever the monster came around, the camera moved so fast all over the place that I had trouble figuring out whether this was intentional, or the editor kept sneezing at every frame. That is the directing.

Music was absolutely badly placed here, the "suspenseful" music played at the worst times, meaning at any times, meaning: in the movie there as not a single suspenseful moment (although there is suppose to be, as it seems the director intended for it, but failed).

I will not give away the ending to anyone in case anybody cares to see this movie, if only to learn about what NOT to do when making a movie. But just so say, the ending is the MOST unsatisfying ending I have ever seen in any movie, story, cartoon, TV show of any kind, or any other source of anything. Some people might think I am being too harsh, but if you see the movie, you will understand why the ending is so absolutely terrible.

The actors in this movie were great on the other hand, I found them to be better actors then the well known ones like Angelina Jolie, (I wont get in to why that is, but I have good reasons)..

Strangely enough I still would recommend this movie, but only to those who enjoy terrible movies with good actors. And especially to those who ever thought of making a film of their own, or writing a script, for anything. This movie really gives away the tricks of the trade by showing you EXACTLY what NOT to do in a movie :)

And that's my 2 cents.

PS: Now that I think about it, I will add 10% more for directing, music and story, just for trying :)
November 29, 2010
A good little unsupernatural?/horror/adventure in the deseart. The acting is decent. The creature CGI passable. Was pleasently suprized.
June 22, 2010
Wow, what can I say about this bad "B" flick. First the concept was lame, the cast were virtually no namers, the ants stole the movie and the writers must have been smoking crack"
April 10, 2010
Kinda strange, not very scary, and not very good acting. But it's watchable.
October 16, 2009
the cover for this movie looks super cool, but its not. This movie was lame and boring. Ants are not that scarry. The female actor was brutal, her accent was sooo annoying!
August 26, 2009
Awesome movie, really enjoyed it :)
February 3, 2009
i actually liked this film despite warnings that it would be horrible. the film was decent enough, and i liked the various look of the creature(s). acting sucks but who cares.
½ August 20, 2008
Once upon a time eye was flipping through TV and stumbled upon the Sci-Fi Channel and thought hay look a B movie to add to my review. And what do you know the movie absolutely deserved to be in this list. The acting could have been better done by those kids in the McDonalds advertisements for all eye know. The plot was simple a monster takes bones and whatnot kills people and repeats throughout. Now eye am a big fan of B movies but there are always movies like this that tell me why they just aren't made with quaility any more. The effects look like they couldv'e been better done by some lazy college kid. Bottom line take every copie of this mutant to Area 51 and bury it in the sand for it fossilize and hopefully never uncovered by future generations.
July 26, 2008
Not a great movie, but not a terrible one, either. I won't recommend it.
½ July 23, 2008
O.K IT WASENT GREAT OR ANYTHING!!! BUT WHN DA BAD GUY GOT HURT ME AND MII bffl LAUGHED HARD!!!!