The Boogens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boogens Reviews

½ October 3, 2012
Sorry to say but between 'C.H.U.D.' and 'The Boogens', the sewer-dwelling creatures are more gratifying than their mine-dwelling doppelgangers. 'The Boogens' is a regurgitated, fairly pedestrian slice-and-dice B-movie where Tiger, a Bichon Frise canine, is the most competent actor in the ensemble. His double-takes during a romantic tryst are priceless. To our chagrin though, the majority of the film is the repetitive stalking-the-prey POV shots from the roaring insects (whose rubbery snapping-turtle design is only glimpsed at occasionally due to an infinitesimal budget) and false scares. In fact, perhaps due to money constraints, the scale is too cramped and small for any truly terrifying stakes. It doesn't feel like a potential epidemic. Aside from a tavern scene, the townspeople are scarce and never exposed to the Boogens' rampage. 'C.H.U.D.' may not have been revolutionary for the subgenre but it enriched more character depth and climactic dread that the gingerly paced 'The Boogens'.
September 12, 2012
Amusing, would have been better if I could have turned off my inner sarcasm. This film is begging for the MST3K treatment.
September 7, 2012
The Boogens is a 1981 horror flick that has become a bit of a cult classic partially due to it's unavailability for almost 2 decades and partially for it's amusing title. It's just fun to say "Boogens". The film also has sentimental importance to me, as it was one of the horror flicks I saw with friends at the legendary Oritani grind house in Hackensack, N.J. A time when B movies were still released in a theater, where they belong, and a time I now cherish in this direct to DVD and VOD age. Now being given the chance to revisit this low budget chiller, it's time to answer the question of whether it's as fun as I remember or has time and nostalgia created a far better memory then it was a movie. And I'm happy to report it still is a fun flick, although 80s nostalgia does play a part. In a way, "Boogens"¬? is a quintessential horror for the late 70s, early 80s with it's slow burn, creepy old man with ominous warnings, and nubile girls in skimpy bathrobes investigating noises in dark cellars. This is exactly the type of movie Ti West paid homage to in the recent "House Of The Devil"¬?. A few months later Evil Dead would arrive and crank horror flicks up to 11 and Jason was just getting started on his body count.
This 1981 horror stars Rebecca Balding ("Silent Scream") and takes place in rural Silver City, Colorado, a small mining town where the mines are being reopened for the first time since a supposed cave-in 70 years previous. But, unknown to two college grads (Fred McCarren and Jeff Harlan) working on the re-opening and their two nubile young ladies (Balding and the equally cute, Ann-Marie Martin), the mines were caved in on purpose and unsealing the tunnels unleashes our title creatures and they are quite hungry.
Boogens is well directed by James L. Conway who also directed pseudo-documentaries like "Hanger 18" and "In Search Of Noah's Ark" and who went on to direct a lot of genre TV including episodes of all the post-original "Star Trek" series and the current, "Supernatural". He directs with a leisurely pace but, builds some nice suspense and also knows to keep his monsters hidden until the very end. And when we do see them, they are good old fashioned prosthetics, there's something charming about prosthetics that CGI rarely matches. He gets good performances out of his cast and the fact that they are all very likeable helps add suspense when they are in danger. There is some nice gore but, it is used sparingly and the body count is low. This movie was made just as the slasher sub-genre started to gain momentum and before body count became crucial to the proceedings.
Sure, by today's standards "The Boogens" is tame, slow and cheesy but, it is the type of horror that they made when I was in high school and I will always have a soft spot in my movie geek heart for them. The transfer on blu-ray is absolutely beautiful and it√Ę~s worth a look for horror fans, especially those who enjoy horror from this era. Welcome back, "Boogens"¬?.
½ August 16, 2012
Not a super movie at all but the dialogue in this movie is surprisingly good.
½ June 28, 2012
i have seen this before and read the book loved it
April 25, 2012
This great cult classic, long unavailable on anything but a poorly transferred VHS copy, will be released on DVD! Watch for it. The Blu-Ray version is terrific! Stephen King loved this movie!
April 25, 2012
Super dumb but kind of fun to laugh at, given the right amount of alcohol.
½ March 22, 2012
Pretty tame horror movie about underground monsters which you don't get to see for most of the movie. There is a lot of build to what basically looks like a mutant turtle. There are some good quirky moments and for fans of bad movies The Boogens has a certain charm.
½ July 16, 2011
quality acting performance by the white poodle "Tiger," added a star for that.
½ June 9, 2011
Denna lågbudgetrysare kändes betydligt mer påkostad och professionell än väntat. Dessutom är jag svag för filmer som utspelar sig i gruvor eller grottor. Tentakelmonster är också alltid ett plus. Så varför funkade inte den här filmen fullt ut på mig?
April 4, 2011
For cheesy 80s horror movies this one isn't too bad, but there are much better ones out there. People in a mine town are being attacked by weird creatures, that pretty much the plot. When you finally see "the Boogens" it's a bit of a let down, but whatever, I guess for 1981 the effects are okay. I think it's hilarious that I saw this on Turner Classic Movies.
½ March 26, 2011
The title characters are appropriately disgusting, but the flick moves much too slowly; it feels like a half-hour premise stretched out to feature length.
March 20, 2011
Fun 80s creature feature. The pacing can be pretty leisurely, but it makes it through with a number of memorable moments and offbeat characters who are at first annoying, but then become surprisingly likable. Solid entertainment for cult movie fans.
March 19, 2011
Classic monster horror from Paramount, gotta love any movie that has a doom-sayer.
½ March 10, 2011
Enjoyably squishy and obcsure little 80's flick detailing what happens to the inhabitants of a small Colorado mining town, after a passle of nastily-aggressive and toothy critters with an appreciation for fine (human) dining are accidentally released from an abandoned mine. The funky rubber monsters look like a cross between a bug-eyed snapping turtle and a squid on steroids, with tentacles a-flying, choppers a-gnashing, and a generally sour disposition. Perky and pug-nosed Rebecca Balding (From TV's "Soap" and another 80's horror gem "Silent Scream"-) is our heroine here with some able support by veteran character folk such as John Crawford, Med Florey, and Jon Lormer. A slimy good time!
½ January 13, 2011
Highly likeable characters and clever writing distinguish this obscure 80's creature feature. Worth a look if you can find it.
½ November 4, 2010
Awesome '80s Monster flick and one of the best titles ever.
October 29, 2010
Saw the Boogens on Turner Classic Movies last weekend. Pretty standard fare, about creatures that live in a mine, that had been boarded up. They are able to reach through the floor of a house and kill people. Pretty dumb.
½ October 24, 2010
And I thought CHUD was chintzy w/ the monsters when I watched it a few weeks ago but The Boogens out does it w/ its cheapness. That annoying dog even gets more screen time. For most of the majority of the Boogen attacks all we get is a tentacle & it takes until about the last 10-15 minutes for us to finally get a look @ the monster (why Boogen is pluralized is beyond me) but because the budget is so low it looks like a Muppet on crack. Brighter moments are found w/ the nudity which there could have been some more because when Anne-Marie Martin (from TV's Sledge Hammer!) gets dragged to the basement in a towel she never loses. It really could have been a nasty scene having her found all bloody & naked on the dirty basement floor. Oh well..cheap & formulaic if your into that kind of thing but Ive seen it done better
October 24, 2010
The Boogens is yet another stupid 80's horror movie where the characters are annoying and it's too dark to see the cheapass creatures effects