The Boogens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boogens Reviews

October 24, 2010
The 1980s were a turning point for horror films, especially the sub genre known as the monster movie. Very few had strayed clear of being classified as a common denominator; C.H.U.D. and Pumpkinhead being a few examples. The Boogens is another.

Stylistic and well written for B grade picture standards, The Boogens is a rather entertaining flick. Humour and violence ensue.
June 10, 2010
this movie is pretty good! really quite scary for it's time! i only wish they would bring it to dvd!
½ May 4, 2010
The Boogens isn't completely devoid of charm. At least it has some strong characters going for it. Even the sex mad ladies man character, is portrayed with a lot of heart and little annoyance. The build is far too slow. I enjoy a bit of tension, but if your monsters look like ridiculous puppets in the final reel, at least showcase them early. Only so many tentacle attacks I can stomach. It's also quite repeptitive with just two locations, and the dog sniffing out danger gets about 4 separate scenes. Could do worse, but the slowness is a test of patience.
December 23, 2009
Takes forever to get going and even once it gets there, not much happens. Some clever dialogue for a monster movie, however.
½ December 7, 2009
It was Ok but nothing great
August 18, 2009
Muterade sköldpaddor med huggtänder och tentaklar? I love it!
½ June 29, 2009
I don't know if I was way too young, but this movie scared the crap out of me...
June 22, 2009
This is a classic 80's Monster Movie from my childhood that, while I'm sure it is hard to take seriously nowadays, at the time, I loved it, and after watching it this past weekend, my thoughts on it still stand, strong and proud! The film centers around an old silver mine that has just been reopened, thus awaking these turtle/octopus like creatures who have a taste for human flesh. Soon, these creatures (vintage visual effects instead of lame CGI) come from out of their underground dwellings and start tearing people's asses apart. Some of the stuff that I have seen make it to DVD is insane and makes me mad when I think that The Boogens has not gotten the DVD treatment. SOMEONE, PLEASE BRING THIS MOVIE TO DVD!!!
June 16, 2009
You know how in most movies, when the characters are someplace dark, like a cave or an abandoned building, it never really -looks- dark, because of all the added lights on the set? Well, there's a reason for that, because the alternative is something like 60% of the shots in "The Boogens," where you can't see much of ANYTHING. I appreciate the nod towards realism, but it doesn't amount to much if you can't tell what's going on. But even so, if that was the worst of this film's worries, it wouldn't be so bad...sadly, that's far from the case.

Things start out okay, with a montage of newspaper clippings about a mine in turn-of-the-century Colorado that was closed due to "attacks," but then we get introduced to the main characters...and one of them (Roger) starts talking. It's been awhile since I've wished for a character to die quite so much, for being this irritating. The others are better, to varying degrees, but none of them is particularly likable.

So, we've got a bad title (the word "Boogens" is only uttered once during the entire movie, with no real explanation), bad lighting, and bad characters. Are the monsters cool at least? Well, it's hard to say. You don't get to see much of them until about the last ten minutes or so, and even then you don't really SEE them very well. If you put a gun to my head and told me to describe their basic anatomy, I'd be hard-pressed.

Overall, "The Boogens" is a rather sub-par, run of the mill monster flick. Not the worst I've seen by far, but far from a truly enjoyable film, even with the MST3K treatment. If I had to say one good thing about it, it's that the dog seemed pretty well-trained.
½ January 2, 2009
I wasn't too impressed with this movie
October 4, 2008
this movie scared me to death when i was 6 i dont think it would have the same effect now but i finally found this wow i thought maybe i just dreamed it cause nobody i ever mentioned it to even heard of it!!!
August 28, 2008
Oh wow. Last time I saw movie was back 1982 cable. I enjoyed this crazy movie, with it's hideous monsters in an underground hiding area that attacks it's victims when they are alone! It was amusing. Wouldn't mind adding it to my horror movie collection on dvd. ;)
½ August 12, 2008
saw it a long long time ago
½ June 19, 2008
A blast from my childhood past. I love this film, but it is truly horrible.
June 11, 2008
always scared me. dont' know why 'cause it's super cheesy.
March 13, 2008
Boring for about 70 minutes and then it suddenly turns in a nice 'n cheesy 80's monster flick. The characters are likable, for once, and the locations are atmospheric, but the lack of excitement is really hard to forgive. The 80's have much better monster movies to offer, which is probably why this one is still so obscure and hard to find.
January 25, 2008
Never finished it, but what I saw it was hilariously bad, in a good way.
½ December 15, 2007
I wish Anne-Marie Martin had made more films... This one features the best (the VERY best) canine performance of any film ever.
November 30, 2007
Never gets any recognition, but it's super awesome, and you actually care about the characters. Little creatures in the mine shaft? AWESOME.
½ June 8, 2007
Nothing special. Cliched and predictable. Boring story and scenes. Don't bother.