Boogeyman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boogeyman Reviews

½ November 23, 2016
it's okay the sequels are better though
½ November 7, 2016
Boogeyman sets up the spooky atmosphere with a classic haunted-house setting and psychological tension, but if you're looking for a definitive study of our culture's paranoia with the self-titled enigma, there's plenty of superior alternatives.
½ November 1, 2016
Not really scary at all. The director uses his camera in an attempt to fill in the holes left by a vacant narrative. There's not much story here other than a man tries to face his fears after an encounter with the boogeyman when he was young leaves him traumatized, he does this by revisiting his old home after his mother dies. It almost feels like the movie makers here realize that they haven't got much to work with so they try to create what tension, and scares, they can by having people walk around really slowly, and reaching for door knobs really slowly, until the ultimate final confrontation with a terrible looking CGI boogeyman. Watch once, and forget about it.
½ September 28, 2016
Em algum momento parece que vai ficar interessante, mas... no.
June 10, 2016
The concept is creepy, but the deliverance is not there. Lacked originality, and there were only one creepy scene. The rest was boring. Weak performances and no suspense.
April 17, 2016
Am I the only one who thinks that Barry Watson looks like Skeet Ulrich/Billy Loomis from Scream in this movie? I know that this movie has a generic, unoriginal storyline, and it wont have you wanting to see it five more times, but someone had to make a movie about it. And hey, at least it wasn't The Apparition.
Bottom line is, I liked this movie! There I said it. ~
October 12, 2015
130520: So good but why, why are some special effects in horror films so bad? Budget? It's unfortunate. Generally speaking, I enjoyed this film until the final twenty minutes. Close ups, quick camera movements and very loud, sudden bursts of sound all work to put you on the edge of your seat. Fun but, along with my jumpiness, forced me to turn it off and go to bed (my excuse was that my son was sleeping).
Perhaps it's just me, perhaps it's the reason the film is so scary, but I found the sound levels flutuate too much. I had to have the volume high to hear the conversations but then it was too loud during those sudden bursts. Too extreme, you hear me, too extreme. I've seen this problem in films before and have always diliked it.
Basically, this film features no name actors, which didn't seem to matter much, except when it came to Skye Bartusiak (Fanny). This little girl brought no energy to the film and she looked like she was, well, acting.
As for the final twenty mintues, once the action got really rolling the special effects were utilized often and the poor quality stood out. That old CG reality mix. What should've been a great film unfortunately was weakened by simple problems (I can live with Bartusiak). Ok, perhaps FX, financially and in 05, are not a simple problem. I do not regret spending the money though as I spent more time watching the corner, rather than the middle, of the screen.
½ August 10, 2015
The horror is with the viewer having to watch this crap.
July 10, 2015
Okay, I watched this before but I swear I never saw it. Anyway, this movie sucked. You have mediocre acting from the oldest sibling from 7th Heaven, but really could act on that show except Jessica Biel. The plot is so boringly slow and by the end of the film you will be more confused than anything else.

The defeating of the Boogeyman is so lame and there's awkward teloportation between random closets and the bottom of beds, I have no clue. I just wanted to movie to be over and there was a zero body count officially by the end of the film, because no possible death could really be confirmed.
½ June 22, 2015
Boogeyman is not remotely scary. Like, AT ALL. The scares are loud and obnoxiously filmed with a shaky camera.
March 8, 2015
Although it's been so long since I watched it, i do remember walking out, which I rarely do.
February 20, 2015
This film is just beyond stupidity and it is really pitiful to watch
½ February 3, 2015
Okay. Not particularly good, but not terrible either. This film is just kind of confusing at times.
January 27, 2015
Muy buena movie!!! Se nota que si se puede hacer pelis de miedo aunque no tengas un gran presupuesto.
½ November 21, 2014
Why the hell at the end did he turn into one of those lightning balls in the IBM lobby?
½ September 5, 2014
Boogey man is anything but boogey , Full of jump scares and a horibly slow pace. This is one of the worst horror films of the 200's.
½ July 19, 2014
Gorgeous cinematography and a creepy score are tragically wasted on this parade of cheap pop-out scares that nevertheless crawls along at a snail's pace until a sloppy climax full of bad CGI suddenly reduces everything to pure silliness.
½ March 26, 2014
Worst Film I've Honestly Ever Seen!!!!
½ March 14, 2014
Not really that scary but it's not that bad either...critics bashed it but I've definitely seen worse scary movies. The movie had some decent special effects also.