Boogiepop and Others - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boogiepop and Others Reviews

February 13, 2011
A very odd combination of Japanese adolescent drama and supernatural thriller.
March 5, 2009
Not as unsettling as the anime series, but much closer to the novel, which I'm glad about. When I read through the novel, there were some parts that I was hoping would be shown in the movie and they were, for the most part. I can really sympathize with Akio's story and Suema's. Some of the characters needed a bit more depth, though, like in the novel. The music's pretty nice. And some of the ideas that were addressed.
½ January 5, 2009
Strange and kind of dumb supernatural/high school drama. For some reason, I liked it. You should definitely watch this first if you plan on watching the anime though.
January 5, 2009
The special effects were horrible with a capital "h", but aside from that, this movie was a very good adaptation of the book, and featured better acting than I've seen in most anime-to-live-action adaptations, too.
... Though I did miss the gondola songs...
½ January 5, 2009
Either you need to see the anime to care what's going on or this film just isn't that good. I suspect the latter. A semi interesting story is told quite poorly from different perspectives which gets rid of all pacing and possible suspense. Not terrible, but definitely not one to search out.
½ May 26, 2008
I tend not to review miniseries on this site, but this one was so amazing, that I had to review it. For anyone who has seen the anime, this miniseries does an amazing job of setting up the plot of the show without compromising any of its secrets and keeping the same tone and structure. I almost wish I'd seen this before I saw the anime, but it was really amazing. The acting was great, the sets were surreal (in the good way). Sadly, the special effects were laughable. If not for that one drawback, I could not think of anything negative to say about this miniseries.
½ January 20, 2008
Having never seen the anime or read any of the light novels I was going in blind with this movie and wasnt' sure what I was going to get. What I got was a movie with a complex plot, story, and very campy effects.

This movie demands your attention due to the many characters and constant overlapping of stories. This movie is NOT shown in sequence and, instead, jumps to various character POV's so that the audience is forced to spot all the connections to make sense of the story. Because of this the beginning of the movie can be difficult because the characters are being introduced and the overall story is slowly being introduced. Solid connections don't even start to make sense until nearly an hour into the movie, leaving the average viewer to ponder what the point of this movie really is.

While this is a flaw of the movie it is also what makes this movie unique and entertaining to watch. After the initial set up the pieces eventually fall in to place and the viewer will enjoy figuring out why character A relates to character B and how there actions relate to the overall plot of the movie. To bad more explanation didn't go into the main story.

For fans of the series it fills in various background information, particularily with the anime. For those who are new it's a good stand alone movie despite some of the presentation flaws.
½ December 11, 2007
A pretty accurate (and low budget) adaptation of the novel, to the point where this is probably a fault; the book just isn't written in a way that a direct adaptation can work well. The multiple narrative viewpoints don't translate to the screen very well, and, perhaps thanks to the squeeze for time as a result, we don't get all that much of a feel for any of the characters (Most notably Saotome, whose narrative apparently didn't make the cut, making his motivations just confusing).
Beyond that, the budget and at times the general direction just serve to remind quite how absurd the story itself is.
September 6, 2007
Cheesy as hell, but considering Boogiepop is my all-time favorite series, I can't help but have a fondness for this movie.
½ September 1, 2007
good quality live action anime movies... and ones that are supposed to live up to such an epic series like Boogiepop Phantom are incredibly rare. they usually just go over the entire series again. this movie creates an entirely new unique story using the boogiepop series as more of a point of departure than anything else. i was pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed this movie.
July 30, 2007
I watched the anime and expected something along the same lines...utterly disappointing stuff.
½ June 1, 2007
I loved the novel, and this movie was nothing compared to it. It was slow, boring, and just the characters just didn't have the soul of the novel.