Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 Reviews

September 21, 2016
A wasted bore of decent potential.
September 20, 2016
It is inevitable that a film made for $60,000.00 with a return of almost $250,000,000.00 at the worldwide box office would get a sequel, but the least you could do is try to make something somewhat enjoyable. Take 2008's Iron Man for instance. They made that film in hopes of it becoming a success in order to expand on the Marvel universe. Granted, that universe already had a fanbase, but you see where I am going with this. The Blair Pitch Project was made on a shoestring budget with hardly a skeleton crew. I am positive that their hopes were to enter it into a film festival and gain some viewers, which would in turn get their names out to the world. Although the directors of the original film are no longer heard of today, as they were kind of one-hit-wonders, even then it seemed insanely quick for a studio to whip up a sequel. In just over a year, a sequel was produced as a cash grab. Lets talk about horrendous it was, and still remains to this day.

Following a group of teenagers after they have viewed the film The Blair Witch Project, they venture into the woods to study the myth even further. They also bring cameras and bizarre things begin to happen to them. Now, at first you may start to commend the film for being different and flashing back and forth throughout time, but it also gives away the ending of the film, which is awful anyway, but that is aside from the point. While much more happens in this film, it also takes away the creepiness that the first film was able to pull off. With a $15,000,000.00 budget, it was clear that the studio was looking to make the same numbers as the original, but in turn it only ended up earning them under $50,000,000.00. While that return is not necessarily a box office bomb, it was clear that it was a one-time type of film. If they wanted to make a cash grab, they could have at least did the same movie over again with new people, but this film just makes the original feel like The Godfather of horror films.

The original film relied solely on the shaky camera, clever sound design, and the performances in order to send chills down peoples spines. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 cuts to flashbacks of people being stabbed and branding being done, many more times than it needed to. Due to the fact that the core story was more of a mystery than a horror this time around, the filmmakers seemed to need to cut back to shocking moments to make its audience feel uneasy. It was cheap and I hated watching each and every trick that the filmmakers tried to pull on the audience. I would have liked this more as a mystery/thriller, but they were too afraid to take any chances.

Overall, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 tries to do something different with its story in the first act in order to make the audience feel like they are in for something very interesting; However, that is not the case at all. Fooling its audience into thinking it is a horror film and building up tension to a final scene that is laughably executed, this film fails on almost every level. The performances in the first film felt real and believable, but I found myself chuckling at most of the line deliveries throughout this film. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is the epitome of a cash grab sequel that failed to hit every mark that it was striving for. Die hard fans of the original film won't even be able to find any enjoyment out of this train wreck of a sequel. The only thing that is remotely similar would have to be the fact that it takes place in the woods once again. This film is boring, laughably acted, and edited together faster than any horror film I have ever seen. Aside from a few promising moments in the first act, it is complete trash.
½ September 17, 2016
"Fucking witch!"

You can tell that there may be a good film lying in here somewhere, but the studio done fucked it up! The film is edited to shit (so many cuts to the present and the past), the characters are unlikable, and the whole thing is confusing. There are some genuinely interesting ideas here (One example: If a group believes in a fictional thing hard enough, can that fictional thing be brought to life?), and the mystery at the heart of the film is actually an intriguing one. Unfortunately, the film throws all the puzzle pieces in a jumbled heap on the table and tells you to get to it. Figuring out what's really going on is just about impossible. It's clear that the group is suffering from severe hallucinations (sometimes even shared hallucinations), and that one or more may be possessed by The Blair Witch at different times. I suppose the simple answer is that the group is slowly being driven mad by The Blair Witch (which begs the question: Was The Blair Witch real all along, or did the group inadvertently bring her to life by believing in her?). Either way, the film leaves you with many, many questions and tons of almost answers (and the film is assembled in such a way that finding the truth is a herculean task). Hopefully one day we'll get a directors cut, but as it stands now Book of Shadows is interesting, frustrating, and maddening. On the plus side, I actually kind of dug the score and I liked the setting of the warehouse.
½ September 16, 2016
One of the worst horror films I have ever scene
September 15, 2016
I saw this shit... so you don't need to.
Watch the original instead, not this confused remake aimed at an audience with ADHD.
September 12, 2016
i must know what's worse excorcist 2 or this
September 9, 2016
1/5. It's not boring, but man is it dumb. Only about 10 minutes take place out in the woods and THERE IS NO BOOK OF SHADOWS IN THE MOVIE! What? Really a shameful sequel to a superb film.
½ September 9, 2016
This is of one of my favorite movies gotta say. It was frickin creative how they incorporated themes from the first and made a unique, funereal, unsettling "sequel." Way better than the original. The new one coming out... well i don't have high hopes for rehashed browns.
½ September 8, 2016
Horrible and tone-deaf attempt at meta. Very 90s.
September 4, 2016
It's like a terrible fan fiction
½ August 26, 2016
makes "Jason Goes to Hell" look like "Phsyco"
July 31, 2016
I bit of a laugh root rather than a good scary movie. Very low budget like the first but this time it's made to look like a movie instead of real footage. Hopefully the third instalment does the first some justice. From the trailer, I can already say it's better than the 2nd but that's not saying much. I enjoy watching this film however, even though it's not all that great. It has a somewhat fun amateur story to it like you would see in old school shorts from amateurs that are just enjoyable because of the story. Like I am zozo
½ July 26, 2016
For the fucking life of me, why do GREAT scary movies llike this get bad reviews, and SHIT films like insidious 1-3 get all the glory? FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!! Like the possesed girl in this movie said 'YOURE ALL GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!66suck my balls!!!!!!!!!!!Fucking witch haters!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr!
July 25, 2016
I can't help feeling that Book of Shadows is not as bad as everybody says. In fact, I feel like it makes a lot of exploration on the vast mithology of the Blair Witch, and that is just so interesting that justifies the silliness of the movie.
July 18, 2016
Alors que le premier pouvais être le moindrement original, cette suite n'apporte rien à l'histoire et ne se sert que du nom pour essayer de "vendre". Surment l'une des pires suites de films d'horreur à ce jour
½ July 12, 2016
Just as great as the original. The confusing plot just makes it better. I'm ready for the third film!
June 23, 2016
No stars. One of the absolute worst films I've ever seen, and certainly one of the worst "sequels." I do not blame Ed Sanchez and Dan Myrick, the masterminds behind the original, for this atrocity. They always had plans to make a sequel to the original, but they wanted to do so on THEIR terms. But Artisan Entertainment, who picked up the original lowbudget indie flick for a paltry $1 million and suddenly saw it become an unexpected box office smash and praised as a groundbreaking evolution in horror filmmaking, saw nothing but dollar signs. So they decided to make this without Dan or Ed's participation. The plot...the plot pisses me off so bad I have trouble writing about it. Anyway, this film takes place in a universe where the Blair Witch legend (elaborated on in the mockumentary "The Curse of the Blair Witch") is 100% true, and our three unhappy campers from the last film truly did disappear without a trace (save for their footage and equipment) in the woods near Burkittsville, MD. The footage became a movie (apparently in this universe you can watch snuff films at your local cinema) and the movie inspires a bunch of morons from around the country to venture out into the same woods to try and find out if the Blair Witch really is haunting the area. Now...if they've seen the first film...the answer is...YES. YES SHE IS, AND AS THE OLD FISHERMAN SAID IN THE FIRST FILM, "DAMN FOOL KIDS'LL NEVER LEARN!" But these aren't just amateur college kids. There's an author and his pregnant wife, a Wiccan, a goth with alleged psychic abilities, all lead by a rugged woodsman/paranormal investigator who are all determined to find out what REALLY happened on those fateful 8 days. Sound familiar? Of course it does. Whoever wrote THIS garbage just plucked a few key phrases from the film's mythology (Elly Kedward, Rustin Parr, Coffin Rock) and wedged them into the story wherever they might have fit. They don't. The Blair Witch elements stand awkwardly next to the newly added elements. I say "new" in that they're new to the Blair Witch saga. They are actually the kind of stale, boring and overused tripe that everyone thinks of when they think of bad horror films. None of the characters stand out, the film moves from one scene to the next with the grace of a drunken elephant, and, most important of all, absolutely nothing is added to help us understand or interpret the first film. Or even scare us. As I've said before, I've seen bad horror movies that weren't scary to me, but I at least could see where the scares were supposed to be. In this film, I couldn't tell ya what was supposed to be scary. To preserve the excellence and brilliantly distilled terror of the original, don't ever watch "Book of Shadows." It may have "Blair Witch 2" clumsily tacked onto it's title, but it is NOT a film made with the original film's great care and ingenuity. Sequels to scary movies don't get more piss poor than this.
½ June 13, 2016
It's not that bad of a movie, but it's certainly not a great movie by any means.
May 12, 2016
Hysterically awful... it takes the basic premise of the original film (people go into the woods with cameras and stuff happens) and adds the MTV era horror movie over produced gloss. Its badly acted, badly written, it makes NO sense, it adds absolutely nothing at all to the Blair Witch mythos and actively goes out of it way to discredit the legacy of the original film... One of the funniest films ever.