Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Book of Shadows - Blair Witch 2 Reviews

½ September 9, 2016
This is of one of my favorite movies gotta say. It was frickin creative how they incorporated themes from the first and made a unique, funereal, unsettling "sequel." Way better than the original. The new one coming out... well i don't have high hopes for rehashed browns.
½ September 8, 2016
Horrible and tone-deaf attempt at meta. Very 90s.
September 4, 2016
It's like a terrible fan fiction
½ August 26, 2016
makes "Jason Goes to Hell" look like "Phsyco"
July 31, 2016
I bit of a laugh root rather than a good scary movie. Very low budget like the first but this time it's made to look like a movie instead of real footage. Hopefully the third instalment does the first some justice. From the trailer, I can already say it's better than the 2nd but that's not saying much. I enjoy watching this film however, even though it's not all that great. It has a somewhat fun amateur story to it like you would see in old school shorts from amateurs that are just enjoyable because of the story. Like I am zozo
½ July 26, 2016
For the fucking life of me, why do GREAT scary movies llike this get bad reviews, and SHIT films like insidious 1-3 get all the glory? FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!! Like the possesed girl in this movie said 'YOURE ALL GONNA FUCKING DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!66suck my balls!!!!!!!!!!!Fucking witch haters!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr!
July 25, 2016
I can't help feeling that Book of Shadows is not as bad as everybody says. In fact, I feel like it makes a lot of exploration on the vast mithology of the Blair Witch, and that is just so interesting that justifies the silliness of the movie.
July 18, 2016
Alors que le premier pouvais être le moindrement original, cette suite n'apporte rien à l'histoire et ne se sert que du nom pour essayer de "vendre". Surment l'une des pires suites de films d'horreur à ce jour
½ July 12, 2016
Just as great as the original. The confusing plot just makes it better. I'm ready for the third film!
June 23, 2016
No stars. One of the absolute worst films I've ever seen, and certainly one of the worst "sequels." I do not blame Ed Sanchez and Dan Myrick, the masterminds behind the original, for this atrocity. They always had plans to make a sequel to the original, but they wanted to do so on THEIR terms. But Artisan Entertainment, who picked up the original lowbudget indie flick for a paltry $1 million and suddenly saw it become an unexpected box office smash and praised as a groundbreaking evolution in horror filmmaking, saw nothing but dollar signs. So they decided to make this without Dan or Ed's participation. The plot...the plot pisses me off so bad I have trouble writing about it. Anyway, this film takes place in a universe where the Blair Witch legend (elaborated on in the mockumentary "The Curse of the Blair Witch") is 100% true, and our three unhappy campers from the last film truly did disappear without a trace (save for their footage and equipment) in the woods near Burkittsville, MD. The footage became a movie (apparently in this universe you can watch snuff films at your local cinema) and the movie inspires a bunch of morons from around the country to venture out into the same woods to try and find out if the Blair Witch really is haunting the area. Now...if they've seen the first film...the answer is...YES. YES SHE IS, AND AS THE OLD FISHERMAN SAID IN THE FIRST FILM, "DAMN FOOL KIDS'LL NEVER LEARN!" But these aren't just amateur college kids. There's an author and his pregnant wife, a Wiccan, a goth with alleged psychic abilities, all lead by a rugged woodsman/paranormal investigator who are all determined to find out what REALLY happened on those fateful 8 days. Sound familiar? Of course it does. Whoever wrote THIS garbage just plucked a few key phrases from the film's mythology (Elly Kedward, Rustin Parr, Coffin Rock) and wedged them into the story wherever they might have fit. They don't. The Blair Witch elements stand awkwardly next to the newly added elements. I say "new" in that they're new to the Blair Witch saga. They are actually the kind of stale, boring and overused tripe that everyone thinks of when they think of bad horror films. None of the characters stand out, the film moves from one scene to the next with the grace of a drunken elephant, and, most important of all, absolutely nothing is added to help us understand or interpret the first film. Or even scare us. As I've said before, I've seen bad horror movies that weren't scary to me, but I at least could see where the scares were supposed to be. In this film, I couldn't tell ya what was supposed to be scary. To preserve the excellence and brilliantly distilled terror of the original, don't ever watch "Book of Shadows." It may have "Blair Witch 2" clumsily tacked onto it's title, but it is NOT a film made with the original film's great care and ingenuity. Sequels to scary movies don't get more piss poor than this.
½ June 13, 2016
It's not that bad of a movie, but it's certainly not a great movie by any means.
May 12, 2016
Hysterically awful... it takes the basic premise of the original film (people go into the woods with cameras and stuff happens) and adds the MTV era horror movie over produced gloss. Its badly acted, badly written, it makes NO sense, it adds absolutely nothing at all to the Blair Witch mythos and actively goes out of it way to discredit the legacy of the original film... One of the funniest films ever.
½ May 6, 2016
In this film's defense, the core idea of the movie is actually halfway clever. The idea of following up The Blair Witch Project with a horror movie based around the huge phenomenon the former would end up catalyzing is strangely meta, and has potential for a clever horror movie in the vein of the very self-aware Scream. But alas, instead of capitalizing on the idea, the filmmakers opt for a slasher that has literally no connection to the Blair Witch lore outside of name dropping the film a few times. The film is titled "Book of Shadows," and yet there is no mention of any book of shadows at all. The filmmakers behind this one seem to think that cramming strange imagery at random counts as suspense and scares, but fail to realize that it's actually just utter nonsense. There's nothing wrong with ambiguity, but when all of the posed questions go unanswered, it's not ambiguity: it's nonsensicality. There's no scares, no thrills, no suspense: like its predecessor, it's a paranoia driven story, but unlike that film, the paranoia isn't effective. The Blair Witch Project works because it's grounded in reality. There's a reason so many people believed it was real footage and not just a movie: everything in the film was plausible. Here, the constant visions of random events posing as "horror" are just absurd, and not at all frightening. A pathetic excuse for a horror movie, and a horrible follow-up to a fantastic horror film.
½ April 11, 2016
The Blair Witch franchise sold out! The brilliance of the original film is completely absent in this sequel that simply devolves into a Hollywood teen slasher flick. A real pity given that its original film was trailblazing on so many levels. This is far worse than the Godfather 3's insult to its original predecessors. It's more like The Exorcist 2 vs the original The Exorcist. Watchable, but completely silly from the outset. I thought the beginning with the smoking doctor and nurses scene was a joke or parody, then realized it was intentional!
March 18, 2016
The editing is crap, the characters are obnoxious, theres no creativity, poorly written and down right dumb. By the end of the this movie, there were so many questions I had that were never answered, like, WHAT THE HECK WAS THE BOOK OF SHADOWS?! Geez.
March 11, 2016
The sequel to The Blair Witch Project, takes out all the creativity, atmosphere, and realistic performances that made the original great. Replacing it with cliches, a nonsensical, boring plot, and very poor performances from its new cast. Don't watch it.
October 19, 2015
Bearing absolutely no semblance or near connections to the original at all, and not even having the found footage camerawork that helped add, Book of shadows is a drearily dull sequel that fails even to stand on it's own.
½ October 18, 2015
The so-called "one of the scariest movies of all time" gets a sequel that's caught in the cult following wave and tackled the film with poor results in performances and unclear, ineffective surrounding the filmic "myth" within the compelling-turned-disappointing premise, despite being stylized differently in a clichéd horror genre fashion. The only ups this film possess are manageable engaging points when it started to get mysterious, until most of it went down to a conclusion that'd revealed the disturbance within. (C)
October 8, 2015
This was absolutely bad I don't understand why other people are saying that it was good, or saying that it's better than the first one. This was a wretched sequel, terrible acting, plot was a wondering mess, none of the suspense like the first one, all around amateur and absolute disgrace to the " Blair Witch Project ". As that being said for this being one horrible sequel to a wonderful first installment, I give " Book Of Shadows: The Blair Witch Project 2 " an F.