Bookies Reviews

• Jul 26, 2013

The narrative in this story plays melancholic feature but does not fit correctly.

• Nov 27, 2012

Awesome old school movie, watching it now!

Awesome old school movie, watching it now!

• Nov 21, 2011

Surprisingly pretty good.

Surprisingly pretty good.

• Nov 04, 2011

An independent film to say the least that would probably bypass 9/10 people that walk into a video store. I caught sight of this film on television and I must say that it wasn't bad. This movie really digs inside to you and shows why you just shouldn't get into the professional gabbling industry. I thought it was an interesting choice of cast with Johnny Galecki playing the "badass" of the group when I'm so used to seeing him on The Big Bang Theory and in Roseanne. I would've thought he'd play the opposite like Lukas Haas' character, the nerdy bookkeeper of the bets that is never 100 percent certain whether he wants to remain involved or not. Overall, It's not a movie you'll talk about for the rest of your life and it wont ever be considered a cult classic, but it was well made and worth my time.

• Nov 03, 2011

Bookies had a decent foundation, the premise was good and the script had lots of potential. The cast wasn't as strong as they could have been, but the acting was pretty on point. I feel like Mark Illsley's directing was the main problem with this movie. His touch made it pretty damn cheesy and the whole thing felt a lot less serious than it should have been. With some stronger cinematography, more appropriate lighting and just better director-to-performer coaching the whole thing would have been magnificent. Bacall's script had a good idea behind it, but the dialogues was just way too two-dimensional and the scenes progressed very generically. Overall I feel that this film had a good base-idea but the director's execution botched it up.

• Sep 27, 2011

a decent enough movie about some college kids that start their own bookmaking operation and the trouble they encounter when the mob finds out. fun just to see johnny galecki (of "big bang theory") cast against character and cussing up a storm!

• Apr 18, 2011

Getting everything you want is kind of cool for a college kid

Getting everything you want is kind of cool for a college kid

• Dec 30, 2010

Johnny Galecki is great in Bookies. His performance is nothing less then stellar. I've seen him before in other things, but always dismissed him as character actor. He shines in Bookies. If this movie had a higher budget, his performance would have garnered him an award. Galecki plays Jude, which is the most developed character in the movie. Also the character I hated. That's probably why I noticed Galecki's excellent performance. Rachel Lee Cook sadly has the weakest character. Her acting wasn't weak, her character was. Without giving anything away, there is a scene where Stahl tells her he has given up, then she lectures him that he should give up, I'm sorry, didn't he just say he did give up?? The plot gets weak toward the end. You'll need to lend some creative license, but not so much that it enters the "Oh Come ON!" stage. Good movie, worth the rental, or even purchase it in the bargain bin.

• Nov 18, 2010

This may not be the height of cinematic quality, it may contain a scene college men would never be caught in (laying head to head on the grass discussing their plans?) But for my moneys worth this was Johnny Galecki finest display of acting, his character was very believable, just great acting by him, and shows why he should stay in the 'biz'. The story was fun, the events were fun, this is just a fun movie. Expect less get more. The only downfall was although Rachel Leigh Cook is nice to look at, her mannerisms were a little stiff, and forced. However, I would recommend this movie for its entertainment value, and the fact it is surprisingly good.

• Aug 16, 2010