Boom Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boom Town Reviews

½ March 2, 2016
Clark Gable has outstanding rapport both with Claudette Colbert, whom he was with in It Happened One Night, and Spencer Tracy, whom he had acted with before in the disaster flick San Francisco, in this fine film which would make an excellent double-bill with There Will Be Blood, for the price of being a prospector of black gold in early 20th-century America. Very enjoyable and thoroughly recommended.
½ March 2, 2016
½ March 22, 2015
Okay story is elevated by a strong cast, although I'm still not a big Clark Gable fan. Gable and Spencer Tracy are a couple of cowboy/would be oilmen looking to strike it rich. There's also Claudette Colbert to add a love triangle to the plot and also Hedy Lamarr as a high powered big city businesswoman the two meet up with after they strike it rich and move to the big city. There's really nothing original about the ups and downs in the story, but cat makes the film entertaining enough, although I wish there was more Lamar in the film. I still wish that Lamar had appeared in better films. Her filmography seems littered with films like this, which featured major stars and quality behind the scenes talent, but were often of lower quality and none of which are considered classics, just like this film.
July 27, 2014
just love to see Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert reunited on screen again :)
½ July 5, 2013
Why should me and you have an argument? One of us may get hurt.

Big John McMasters and Square John Sand are two aspiring oil men looking for a big investment. Neither of them know they are in love with the same girl. The two men strike it rich and Big John gets the girl, quickly ending their friendship and having the two men go in separate directions with their riches. John Sand invests his money well and turns his riches into more riches while John blows his money putting him and his wife in a bad spot. Will the two men reconcile their differences and work together to find riches again?

"Rabbit stew again?"

Jack Conway, director of Libeled Lady, A Tale of Two Cities, Viva Villa, Saratoga, One New York Night, The Girl from Missouri, and Just a Gigolo, delivers Boom Town. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unfold. The character development is excellent and the script is well written. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes Spencer Tracy, Clarke Gable, Claudette Colbert, Lionell Atwill, and Frank Morgan.

"You can always say you were a big man once."

I am a huge Spencer Tracy fan. This is far from my favorite picture of his, but it is very good. His character is very dynamic and the chemistry between him and Gable throughout the film was perfect (both during the good times and bad). I strongly recommend seeing this picture!

"What do people think I am, a good fairy?"

Grade: B-
June 28, 2013
The powerhouse team of Gable & Tracy reunited. Excellent.
June 16, 2013
It's so great to see the king & Colbert back together 6 years after 'It Happened One Night,' and a year after the monstrous success of 'Gone With The Wind.' My first Hedy Lamarr film. Long overdue. This must infuriate environmentalists...which, in turn, makes me jubilant. The oil fire was very well filmed. Great drama. I never realized just how great a performer Tracy was. He's so effortless & understated, that it can be easily missed. But truly, his performance is magnificent. Colbert is excellent too. And Gable is just his usual superstar self. There were a few nods to 'It Happened One Night' & 'Gone With The Wind,' which I absolutely adored. In a way, the most touching unrequited love story of all. The high-speed fight scenes are kind of unintentionally funny-looking. Tracy's last speech resonates, especially today.
May 13, 2013
I personally thought that this was an amazing Romantic and Adventurous film. This is now one of my favorite films that I've ever seen. It had a large list of very well known stars. It was set in a western and modern (for the 1940's) setting. It even had a couple of scandalous points. I really have never seen anything that has kept my attention so well throughout an entire film. I thought that the film was going to be boring because it looked like an old western (which I find cheesy and boring) but then I recognized the voices and noticed who the actors were and I was entranced immediately and I was absolutely amazed at how well I enjoyed it. It was kind of like a western but it ended up even better than that. It ended up as an adventure.
March 15, 2013
not any of the stars involved best work but still enjoyable.
December 4, 2012
Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy are oil men, searching for the big strike, and meet Frank Morgan, who makes a wizard of oz joke or two, and finances them. The woman in the triangle is Claudette Colbert, and the femme fatale is Hedy LaMarr.
December 3, 2012
Good, if slightly overly long and slightly miscaset yarn about two oil barons who try to outdo each other, when they're not partnering up that is. Gable and Tracy are great together, and Claudette Colbert provides great fodder for the two to fight over. Not too sure about Hedy Lamarr though as the seductree who woos Gable away from Colbert though.
October 7, 2012
it all just works in this drama
August 26, 2012
I recently found this one. Done in the style of Gone with the wind and Epic love story that moves across worlds and rags to riches to rags ect.
½ February 3, 2012
Boom Town is an amazing film. It is about two buddies who rise from fly-by-night wildcatters to oil tycoons over a twenty year period both love the same woman. Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Jack Conway did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and romance. Boom Town is a must see.
April 9, 2011
Epic drama showing how the rogues of west got their wealth and moved it to big bugs New York, not forgetting female trouble. Still greatly entertaining.
½ November 14, 2010
I fought hard to get a role in this picture and I was very proud of my role in it.
½ September 26, 2010
This is a movie about the boom and bust fortunes of oil wildcatters,
June 22, 2010
HI DAWN

MY GRANDPA NAME IS HORACE MURPHY. HE IS HOLLYWOOD MANY MOVIES 124 KIND LIST. MY FATHER TOLD ME ABOUT HORACE MURPHY NOT PATRICK. I FOUND PICTURES HIM ON COMPUTOR SURPRISE. I WILL SHOW YOU IT SOON.
I
L
Y
KRIS
April 11, 2010
A clash of the stars: this film is viewable because the stars are shining. Allusions to Gables' real illegitimate. Enjoy!
½ April 9, 2010
A bit of Hollywood fluff. Lightweight story that owes everything to the performances by Gable, Tracy, Colbert and character actor Frank Morgan. Heady Lamar wasn't given much to do.