Boom Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boom Town Reviews

½ March 29, 2010
Even Rhett Butler and The Wizard Of Oz can't save this lackluster soap opera. The fight scenes were nothing more than a bad 3 stooges short and it does liitle to tell the tale of the Texas Oil Boom. Don't bother unless you must see every movie of one of these stars.
September 1, 2009
Very interesting tale about oil wildcaters in the early 2oth century. Great flick.
July 22, 2009
couldn't get into it
½ July 16, 2009
A fine classic with a once in a lifetime cast. Any movie with Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Hedy Lamarr and Spencer Tracy has to be worth watching. Good MGM production, not a particularly original story, but it's done extremely well.
June 11, 2009
Boom Town (1940)

This is a movie about the boom and bust fortunes of oil wildcatters, and their women. Big John McMasters (Clark Gable) meets up with Square John Sand (Spencer Tracy) in their famous wooden plank over the muddy street scene. They partner up on a good potential oil rig, and then Big John steals Square John's girl, Betsy Bartlett (Claudette Colbert).

The first half of this movie is the grubby, hard work part, where the second half comes off as a soap opera. Big John strikes it rich and becomes a big oil tycoon while Square John comes back in like his conscience trying to fix things for Betsy. There's a dalliance with a socialite/company spy, Karen Vanmeer (Hedy Lamarr), but you know that Big John really only loves Betsy. There's also a courtroom finale where Square John explains why we need crazy wildcatters like big John.

I loved Frank Morgan's work as Luther Aldrich, the supply and rigging guy that these two men always went back to when they were flat broke. There was also Chill Wills as Deputy "Hominy" Jones, the talented cook that could make rabbit taste like fillet minion.
½ December 12, 2008
Wildcaters, Big John McMasters (Clark Gable) and Square John Sand (Spencer Tracy) have a love/hate friendship. This is a soap opera in a sense: a foursome love squabble. The film drags towards the middle but the performances of Gable, Tracy and Lamar are colorful. The oil storyline is somewhat hard to view in a lighthearted matter with a modern eye, even if you take into account the time period the film was made.
December 1, 2008
This was so amazingly great! Great fight scene, firefighting scene, romance... I think I like it even better than Gone with the Wind!
jjnxn
November 22, 2008
All star quartet perform well in this robust entry from classic Hollywood.
½ October 6, 2008
Gable & Tracy what more do you need!
½ May 6, 2008
One of those classic 1940's films that I always try and watch when I see them on. Hadn't actually seen this for a few years so thought my memories may have been a bit hazy but it is still a good watch. Gable and Tracy are very strong in this and the film even has a thin environmental ish line to it later on.
April 22, 2008
Very good movie! Claduette Colbert, Hedy Lamarr, Clark Gable all three in it! Can't get better than that!
April 22, 2008
Great Film!!! I don't think Hollywood allows a film about OIL! to be made under 2 hours. Gable and Tracy shine together as always.
April 21, 2008
Often seems like two different movies (with only part two starring Hedy Lamarr). I prefered the first half because the constant reversal of fortunes for the cast, while probably indicative of the world it portrayed, just felt like an attempt at padding out the runtime. A real shame, given the star-studded cast, especially Frank Morgan in a supporting role.
½ April 3, 2008
I didn't like this movie.
February 7, 2008
I saw this one a long time ago, but always have to say that anything with Gable in it is fabulous. It's fun to just watch him!
½ January 20, 2008
The energy between Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy make this film worth seeing.
½ January 19, 2008
Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, and Claudette Colbert. Another sweeping epic with explosions, huge reversals of fortune and affections - it also has a strangely ludicrous ending.
January 12, 2008
Say, that's some flick: Wonderful and wonderfully hokey rags to riches to rags story, filled with great performances and bent arm fight sequences. Gable is squared-jawed great, and the film is filled with a optimism that is simply, well, swell.
December 27, 2007
Good cast wasted on a boring melodrama.
½ December 10, 2007
I thought Gable and Spencer Tracy had good chemistry and Tracy is especially fantastic. It's obvious Tracy is a better actor but Gable is great in chewing up the screen.