Born on the Fourth of July - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born on the Fourth of July Reviews

½ January 16, 2016
A lengthy, kind of depressing story. But it's so insightful of how I'm sure many felt during the Vietnam War. How so many lost hope. Lost sight of the American Dream. This is probably the best performance Tom Cruise has ever given. His character goes through so much transformation, inwardly and so much grief. You really feel for him. This is a war movie I could get into. If anything, watch it for Cruise's amazing performance.
½ December 2, 2015
Stone's passion is present, but never overdone. Cruise gives an amazing performance and never reminds us he's just a movie star.
½ November 3, 2015
Oliver Stone truly is one of greatest American Filmmakers around & this film shows his skill behind camera & the talent of Tom Cruise under terrific direction.

The story of idealistic all American boy who goes & joins the war effort & becomes paralyzed in combat & struggles to adjust back into society & becomes quickly disillusioned.

The story is told so well & the story has such impact. Very audacious & bold for it's day. A powerhouse of acting & directing, a sensational film.
November 1, 2015
The best of Oliver Stone!
½ October 5, 2015
94%
Watched this on 4/10/15
Oliver Stone's anti war film is extremely well directed and it's one of the most daring and realistic films ever made. One can see the sparks of the director's ideas that flourished in JFK in this film also. It's got fantastic performances, not only from Tom Cruise, but also from William Dafoe. The cinematography is superb and when it comes to violence, this is the most realistic one I have ever seen yet. This Vietnamese war film is extremely haunting and it shows the real intentions of America's pointless wars.
September 8, 2015
Rarely before have I seen such a powerful piece on such a tough subject. Showing the true colors of our country's government, this is one of the greatest anti-war films I have ever witnessed.
August 13, 2015
A phenomenal achievement by Oliver Stone. Definitely one of the best films of all time. Tom Cruise gives the performance of his career in this some what distant sequel to Oliver Stone's first Vietnam masterpiece "Platoon." Great cameos by Willem DaFoe and Tom Berenger, especially DaFoe who should have got a best supporting actor nomination for his work even if he is only in the middle of the movie for about 15 minutes total, he's that damn good. But the real star of the film for me is John William's powerful score. It's the kind of score that stays with you forever after watching this movie as it really is the soul and true force of what makes the movie work so well.
August 13, 2015
Oliver Stone's relentlessly realistic true-life saga of Vietnam War veteran Ron Kovic, who joined the Marine Corps as a gung-ho recruit in the 1960s. During his tours in Vietnam, Kovic witnesses a fellow officer kill civilians, accidentally shoots and kills another soldier, and eventually finds himself paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life after being shot in the battlefield. Kovic then finds himself disillusioned by the public's treatment of veterans and is abhorred by the minimal care provided to him by the government he served for so long. This brilliant film focuses less on the horrors of war and more on the post-war horrors that our veterans were forced to go through here at home. Cruise earned his first Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, for his stunning tour-de-force turn as Kovic, which is the finest dramatic performance of his career. This film shows the painful and horrific ordeal of physical and mental rehabilitation which Kovic had to endure, before the entire dehumanizing experience transformed him into an anti-war activist. Olivier Stone won an Academy Award for his meticulous direction, he also wrote the engrossing screenplay with Ron Kovic. An exquisite original score by John Williams, with awesome cinematography by Robert Richardson, and exceptional supporting performances by Willem Dafoe, Raymond J. Barry, Carloline Kava, Krya Sedgwick, Frank Whaley, Stephen Baldwin, Tom Berenger, Michael Wincott, Wayne Knight, and Tom Sizemore. But its Tom Cruise's extraordinarily powerful heartfelt performance that totally dominates this motion picture. An unforgettable cinematic experience that is a real eye opener. Highly Recommended.
½ August 10, 2015
People often forget that Cruise isn't just a blockbuster action star but that he was and is an incredible actor, Cruise delivers what could arguably be his best performance to date and definitely his most emotional. The film as a whole is superb and the score perfectly accompanies the scenes. Overall Born on the Fourth is a great Oliver Stone film, a great Tom Cruise Film and a great war film as well.
August 6, 2015
Top three best Cruise role. Probably his best as far as a time-spanning dynamic part. And hey, it's a great film too.
August 5, 2015
Aside from Cruise's portrayal of Vietnam Vet Ron Kovic, I found this to be an ultimately unsatisfying film. Yes it deals with the horrors of returning from war, disabled and the reactions of the population to a war they grew increasingly frustrated with. But aside from Kovic's transformation from 'All American' to embittered anti-war protestor and campaigner I felt the film ultimately lacked a conclusion or coda.
½ July 28, 2015
Encore un bon film de Stone sur le Vietnam qui retrace la prise de conscience d'un jeune americain revenu de la guerre. Dur. Cruise y est magistral.
July 5, 2015
Oliver Stone's sympathy for the Vietnam veterans really shows. This film really opens your eyes to what our boys go through when they come home.
July 4, 2015
Truly a remarkable and sad story of a wounded proud American!
½ June 28, 2015
Anyone who says that Tom Cruise is a bad actor obviously hasn't seen this great movie.
May 12, 2015
Tom Cruise manages to create a performance so real and so soul crushing it makes us feel bad for watching him suffer when we realise that this movie is a lot more real than we realise.Oliver Stone manages to make one the best movies of his career and it's a truly memorable one.
April 19, 2015
well crafted bio-pic
½ April 16, 2015
Cruise's best work in a brutally honest no holds bared film of the ravages of war.....also Stones best work.
February 10, 2015
As wars continue to rage on across the world, there is one film that has held up over the course of time, and doesn't get the praise it deserves. "Born on the fourth of july" is one of those films. At first glance it might be marked as an anti-war film, but I consider it more a personal discovery hero journey film. If anything it documents what trauma war has on the fabric of one's soul. I have never personally served in the military, but I recommend this film to all those who have returned from the middle east and suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder as they struggle to get back to whatever you might call "a normal life" in the states. Oliver Stone the director does a great job creating the war experience, and Tom Cruise really captures the essence of an injured veteran, Ron Kovic. Personally, this film has had a big impact on my life. It helped forge my interest in film as a form of art, and ever since an interest in filmmaking. On a side note I got to meet my idol, Oliver Stone last year and all I could say is he "the real deal." Controversial like him or not, he speaks his mind behind and off the camera. He is a nice guy too. Anyway just thought I would write a short review on the film, "Born on the fourth of july." Even if you saw it before, I can't think of a better time to revisit it and see it then right now in 2015. I will.