Born Romantic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born Romantic Reviews

½ January 2, 2016
Cuban Fury done properly. This had a great cast of British talent and was a pretty funny story of three blokes who have to learn Salsa to pull the birds they are after. It sounds a lot worse than it is but it is quite good thanks to the fact that this was not made to please Hollywood like so many other British comedies since the 90's have been.
September 16, 2014
Posted on 5/15/06 03:28 PM
[color=lemonchiffon]Saw dese late April on DVD ...[/color]

[color=orange][b]Born Romantic, 2000, Writer/Director David Kane[/b][/color]
This is a fun UK romantic comedy featuring an ensemble cast and revolves around a latin dance club. Really great cast, I've seen a bit of [color=magenta]Jane Horrocks[/color] (Ab Fab), [color=magenta]Jimi Mistry[/color] and [color=magenta]Catherine McCormack[/color] and of course that guy from the Drew Carey Show (the smarmy boss) - turns out his name is [color=magenta]Craig Ferguson[/color]. The mysterious cab driver was a great addition to the storyline - turns out the actor's name is [color=magenta]Adrian Lester[/color] and he's been in a fair few bit parts; the recent Spider Man film , various TV shows including the mini series Jason and the Argonauts - he was the guy with the harp. [color=magenta]Hermione Norris[/color] is great as the bitchy ex-wife (TV series Cold Feet). Actually just saw her the other night on the telly in the film Mad Cows (1999) with Anna Friel and Joanna Lumley (Ab Fab) ... as the title implies this is a bit of a mad cap comedy ... but I digress ... so back to Born Romantic - I liked it and the oddball characters, nice tidy wrap up at the end - the girls get the guys and vice versa ... awww, just what the punters like.

A lucky find from my local library I have to say!
½ October 11, 2011
A lot of romantic ideas with a fair amount of dancing,poor direction, and horrible casting, as well as a pathetic script and a cure for insomnia.
½ September 26, 2011
½ July 11, 2011
Not interesting to human beings. I want to understand how Craig ferguson gets cast in movies. And now ferguson is a lame ass chat show talking face. Shut yer piehole Craig ferguson. Also back to the movie. I fell asleep. Some years later it's on my South Carolina digital tv. And it still eats the rhino dong. Avoid it like the plague. And Craig ferguson should retire & diminish. Save your time & money.
April 22, 2011
olivia williams can be really mean and then smile and make you want to do anything for her... well acted this film is. and i got my dose of jimi mistry. yum.
½ April 1, 2011
Cool movie Loved it! Olivia Williams is very sexy in this.
½ February 21, 2011
Pre-Love Actually, another of those multi-character Britrom-coms which probably make many people happy. Though not really me, sadly. I quite liked Adrian Lester's all-knowing taxi driver, and especially theatre actress Catherine McCormack's awkward beautiful nerd, but too many smug shots of driving through Central London and not enough heart for my taste.
February 18, 2011
Excellent Brit ensemble romcom. Very slick, funny, well produced, - and it has a message about the need to engage in a world where it's all too easy to accept alienation. 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' morphs into 'Three Couples, a Cabbie and Salsa'.
September 20, 2010
as if salsa could save any of your relationship's problems
½ June 3, 2010
A really fun movie with an interesting plot (or rather three separate plots!), talented actors and great, hot salsa music:)

I really liked the quirky ambience and the witty dialogues here. Plus, the very construction of the movie is nicely thought-out and original - the three plots interweave and connect nicely and surprisingly at times, with the help of the friendly and sage cab driver:) A really pleasant, uplifting movie:)
½ April 26, 2010
A relatively trite but entertaining little British romantic comedy about a trio of difficult relationships attempting to get off the ground in their formative stage.

The film thrives on the strength of its cast. Each of the central couples are well played and enjoyable on their own terms - Craig Ferguson and Olivia Williams, Jimi Mistry and Catherine McCormack, and David Morrissey and Jane Horrock. They all have believable chemistry, and while you know where they're all going to end up, the characters are fun enough on their own terms. Adrian Lester plays his key role as a dignified taxi cab driver who's gotten to know all these individuals well through their time as passengers in his cab well, and underscores the others' love stories with his mourning. Ian Hart and John Thomson play something of a Greek chorus role together, cabbies discussing women and relationships in a local coffee shop. Each of these characters work well as they're intended, and the whole cast is strong.

The direction is well paced and the cinematography offers up some nice shots of London at night. The soundtrack's full of salsa music accompanying the salsa dancing all throughout the film, too - your mileage may vary depending on how into salsa you are. I'm pretty indifferent to it, so it didn't affect my view of the film much either way.

As a whole, Born Romantic's a pretty typical rom-com. The kind of film that Hollywood would make a horrible, unwatchable mess of, but that works in this case because it's a technically well made film with an excellent British cast carrying the story far better than your usual inauthentic Hollywood "Please like me" crew that's played such a role in making the genre unbearable in America. It won't blow your mind on any level, but for what it is, it's a pleasant and enjoyable little film while it lasts. And hey, it's got a brief Jessica Hynes appearance for Spaced fans to enjoy, too! Recommended.
½ April 1, 2010
A cute, funny movie with a quirky twist.
½ August 30, 2009
Decent, but ordinary.
December 10, 2008
i cant really remember all of it but what i do remember was pretty good

i think i've seen a little bit of it but i can't really remember
November 16, 2008
When I heard about this movie, I though "Why call a movie about salsa this way". Now I see it. There is no better title. You have to be born romantic, to see everything that is to see about this dance...
I a movie one must see, guys especially. A perfect combination of 4 love stories, and a salsa dance, that makes them happen.
The trailer is crap, but the movie, extraordinary. I'm gonna see it many times
October 22, 2008
Why is it that all the European romantic films are the best? Maybe it's because they have a far better understanding of the subject than us Americans.
August 23, 2008
Rating says it all........
½ July 21, 2008
An ensemble rom-com that requires a love of salsa. If this love is lacking, you'll often be bored. The salsa club that connects the characters is reprised throughout the film along with drawn-out shots of London roads, adding to the lethargic and depressing tone.

The opening is long, dull and drenched in a cheap-looking murky red, which isn't going to snag the interest of a passing viewer. However, Born Romantic does have an interesting set up, once it gets around to it, and each of the three male leads have intriguing back stories. Fergus has come to London to find the love he jilted eight years ago. Frankie lives in a sinking house with his ex-wife. Eddie is a petty thief looking after his senile father. Unfortunately their female equivalents are less developed. Mo is a slag, Eleanor a snob and Jocelyn a kook. Each couple ends up together only because there isn't space in the film for them to think about meeting anyone else and the ending is unsatisfactory because from all signs the relationships between Fergus and Mo, and Frankie and Eleanor are doomed, with them only getting together because they are tired of fighting. The sweeter relationship between Eddie and Jocelyn may last, but these two characters have the least depth in reality so it is hard to consider them real people at all.

While individual scenes can be enlightening and well crafted, they are never enough. The whole film suffers from its disjointed nature and it ultimately has too many characters and plots to give any the depth they deserve. While this is the risk of all ensemble films, Born Romantic doesn't have anything else to it to fall back on.
iLeo
½ July 10, 2008
Here's a great movie with an incredible story plot. Great music. Fantastic cast. Jimi Mistry is amazing in this movie.