Born to Boogie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born to Boogie Reviews

October 10, 2016
Some really great performances but mostly just for Beatles completists and fans of classic rock.
½ March 24, 2015
I'm a huge fan of T. Rex's music, but this film wasn't exactly great. It seems a bit shoddy really. You'd think since this came out at Bolan's height that it would reflect his genius at the time, but I don't think this movie would make anyone a fan like the albums "Electric Warrior" or "The Slider" would.
November 6, 2013
Raw Rock n Roll like it use to be!
A T.Rex fans dream,nicely restored DVD presentation with many extra's including a bonus matinee performance.
Great sounding Remastered 5~1 sound track to match the restored Film.
Includes the studio session with Elton on piano and Ringo on drums with Marc and T.Rex.
They had a lot of Fun making this movie and it shows.
January 21, 2013
Marc Bolan was such an amazing artist, and we lost him way too soon. "Born to Boogie" captures the rock star at the zenith of his career. This film is half T. Rex concert, half surreal and artistic scenes, such as "The Tea Party" sequence. The film was directed by Ringo Starr, who also filmed all of the concert footage in the documentary. The studio scene in which Marc & T. Rex brings in Ringo on drums and Elton John on piano for a performances of Little Richard's hit "Tutti Fruitti," and then transitions into "Children Of The Revolution," in which Ringo is dressed as a clown, and Elton pounds out driving piano trills, meanwhile, Marc's head, surrounded in luscious curls, pops out of Elton's piano, is possibly the highlight of the whole film. This movie really shows viewers what a legacy Marc Bolan has left behind, and that his music and talent will live on forever.
July 25, 2012
Only for fans. No frills concert movie.
½ May 1, 2012
Only a handful of people I know have seen this. Watch it just for the tea party scene! Marc Bolan = Legend
October 20, 2011
Didn't like this band, but since Ringo directed it, I'll give it a try.
½ March 11, 2011
Directed by Ringo Starr (who knows a few things about performing for shrieking teenage girls), "Born to Boogie" captures Marc Bolan at the height of his pop-idol fame.

Concert footage dominates the film, spanning best-known T. Rex tunes such as "Bang a Gong (Get It On)," "Jeepster," "Cosmic Dancer" and "Telegram Sam." Staged sequences include a studio jam on "Children of the Revolution" (with Starr and Elton John in the backing band!) and an unlikely lawn party where Bolan and a string quartet perform for friends dressed as nuns. There's also some giggling nonsense with a car on an empty airstrip where Bolan, Starr and a midget gnawing on a side mirror (you heard me right) preen and cavort. The latter offers the only glimpses of Bolan as a person because, unfortunately, he speaks little and is never interviewed.

The songs are retooled in various ways but, unfortunately, extending them or stripping them to acoustic versions just serves to expose the crudity of T. Rex's rather simplistic, guitar-boogie sound. It remains a mystery why Bolan settled upon this limited style after exploring such an intriguing range of elfish folk songs in the early days of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Short at just 67 minutes, "Born to Boogie" is definitely an item for T. Rex fans only. The late Bolan's glittering charisma is more than evident in his shaggy curls, strutting stage moves and still-unique voice, but it's unlikely that any viewers will be freshly impressed with his music.
July 25, 2009
Still remember the first time i saw it! and it still makes me feel the same today..love him!! adore him!!
March 14, 2009
The "film"? Phew, it stinks. But the concert?! Amazing.
September 2, 2008
My Main Man, nothing more to add:) and I like to rock as well as to roll ......GRIN:):)
August 29, 2008
A film every supposed glam-rock fan needs to see.
½ August 1, 2008
Truly fun film - both the live footage and the surreal bits in between, with the tea party being the best. Nothing made sense here, but it doesn't matter. The colabs with Elton John were great, especially Tutti Frutti. I don't know how to put it other than I genuinely feel happy watching this and if you like T.Rex, you'll know the vibe.
The dvd as a whole is packed with two live shows and many extras and interviews, well worth your money.
July 7, 2008
This movie is absolutely masterfully done...It was everything great about "glam" rock, and no one did it better than Marc Bolan and T.Rex...exceptional film.
July 7, 2008
fantastic a legend a star a performer and this is the concert to see if you like music surreal in places but great music boogie on
June 13, 2008
"Electric Warrior", one of the best albums EVER, get it, then melt with your headphones on.
May 25, 2008
this sums up everthing i love about rock music, exitement, fun, and brilliant pop songs, the ultimate glam rock 70,s experience....
May 23, 2008
The best movie ever.
April 7, 2008
The best movie I've seen by the greatest band in the world. Marc Bolan is a rock god.
½ March 9, 2008
my favourite only because of Marc!!!