Bosque de sombras (BackWoods) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bosque de sombras (BackWoods) Reviews

March 18, 2017
Extra half star for being more a thinking film than a glamor show.

This may clear up some reviews but not others: there looks to be another version of this film with same stars made same year, looking elsewhere on Rotten Tomatoes.

Imagine a typical B movie that excels at production and you'll probably turn up Sam Raimi's 'Evil Dead' films there toward the end.

What if liberation became a horror no is where everyone dies at the end? Then we would be a few clicks away from Evil Dead with Gary Goldman reprising at the end his earlier role as a killer punk rock bassist.

A lot of other films plunge into gratuitous violence and obligatory carnage. This film could be a drama or could be a psychological thriller with a different percussion.

Some of you will want to cheer that the film isn't the tedium of countless videos gone before.

The dream that you were going to be connected to once upon a time -- what if its enemy had disappeared?

I'm watching earlier and now all I can see -- Hamburger Hill. Time to grab that dilemma by its horns and find your own way home.
February 13, 2016
"INTRIGUING | PLOTTING | MYSTERIOUS | TRAUMATIZING" 83-out-of-100
July 7, 2014
RURAL Spanish Gothic--Atmospheric and stylish piece of genre cinema...!!
June 11, 2014
don't understand the movie at all, acting was good but idk.
January 25, 2014
Eerie tale with several awkward twists along the way. If that's not strange enough, the ending is even more bizarre.
½ November 25, 2013
The Backwoods certainly wasn't what I was expecting (though I'm sure it would've been if I'd actually bothered to read the blurb rather than just go "Starring Gary Oldman? Fuckin' yep!" *buys*), and it was also significantly better than I was hoping. It wasn't dodgy, unbearably poorly acted horror, it was more of a drama than anything, though there were certainly horror/thriller elements to it.

Gary Oldman's (The Dark Knight Trilogy, Harry Potter series, Red Riding Hood, The Book of Eli, The Unborn, Hannibal, Dracula) fantastic, of course, and convincing in his role. Unfortunately that's just not quite enough. Backwoods totally felt like one of those "Based on a true story" gigs where you give up at the end 'cause the end of the real story is boring and you've used everything interesting already to get people into the story. Actually that's exactly what Backwoods is like. Plus it's actually more believable than a lot of those types of movies. Bleedin' Spaniards, I swear..

There's not a whole lot to be said here. Gary Oldman's going back to his Indie roots, and that's always cool, it reeks of atmosphere, but it's kind of a non-event after all is said and done. Was pretty worthy way to spend 98 minutes, and I'll hold onto it, though I doubt I'll ever watch The Backwoods again.

53%

-Gimly
October 17, 2013
Serra's debut is a very personal thriller with solid performances and a well-made atmosphere.
August 14, 2013
How is this movie "fresh"? Penguin girl should be left in her cage.
August 13, 2013
not awesome. should have been better.
½ August 6, 2013
Despite the presence of an impressive cast (Gary Oldman, Paddy Considine, and the lovely Virginie Ledoyen), this watered down version of "Straw Dogs" is largely uninteresting and forgettable.
½ April 5, 2013
A decent by the numbers thriller that is eell acted but falls a bit flat. Gary Oldman steals the show
April 2, 2013
Oldman is always worth watching, but this film is not very good.
March 16, 2013
Not bad but not fully explainable.
March 4, 2013
Although the main part of the movie was an interesting thriller, the end left very little resolved, really up in the air, without any good explanation of what was going on and why it occurred. Therefore the movie, despite good acting, was really a bust for me.
December 2, 2012
It was a pretty good movie..acting wise. BUT i wish the plot was explained some more. It was quite confusing at times or vague.
June 5, 2012
Very disappointing! Didn't think Paddy Considine could give a bad performance til this. Credits at start were annoying, Ledoyen was annoying throughout and what was with the little girl with huge plastic hands?
½ May 6, 2012
A less traumatising version of Straw Dogs.
April 10, 2012
Predicable but well done. Great acting from Gary Oldman and Paddy Considine. Worth a watch.
½ April 9, 2012
I can't tell you how many reviews of the Backwoods I read that only talk about Gary Oldman. He's got a legion of fans with whom he can do no wrong, it seems. Anyways, the Backwoods isn't exactly an original movie, but it's not that bad, either. It has a nice ending in which there are no heroes, only victims.