Bottle Rocket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bottle Rocket Reviews

May 25, 2015
Wes Anderson's directorial debut is a good one.
½ May 12, 2015
This is the movie that started it all. Wes Anderson brings his awesome directing talent to his film debut, Bottle Rocket. This movie really capture a certain time period that never existed. This sounds like it'll make no sense but the way that the people dressed and the soundtrack and the dialogue made it seem like this was a period piece of a time that never existed. The story follows a group of criminals that go into hiding after their first heist and they get into a lot of funny situations including a bar fight and a cold storage break in. Owen and Luke Wilson are hilarious together, they have great chemistry together and pretty much every scene with them together guaranteed a laugh. The acting was great and as a result these great characters are born that made me laugh a lot. As you can assume I found Bottle Rocket to be really funny. The acting was funny, the situations they got in were funny, the setting was funny, everything was so quirky fun that it was hard not to crack a smile. The story has a lot of different levels but stays kind of simple in the very beginning since the only thing they really talk about is their heist they're planning. Later on though they have a romance, a conflict between Bob and Dignan, and another heist in the works. I was never bored of this movie and what it gave to me. What it gave me was a lot of happiness and a lot of laughs. Wes Anderson's direction is so good and so hard to not like. His quirky direction makes me as a viewer pleased with the setting, music, and characters and he really did a great job on this film. Bottle Rocket is an indie classic and I can see myself seeing it a lot in the future. B+
May 9, 2015
Stupid film, struggled to pay attention to it.
April 27, 2015
Starts out fine then just crawls to a halt.
½ April 12, 2015
Wes Anderson whisper the promesse of great filmaking.
April 4, 2015
This charismatic directorial debut from Wes Andersen lays the groundwork for the style that would become his trademark. Understated delivery of quick dialog from well defined characters punctuate an engaging story.
March 15, 2015
A heist movie that only Wes Anderson can give you.
½ March 10, 2015
I was bored in the middle. I guess it's good.
March 7, 2015
Anderson's debut film is a superb mix of humor and heart. With great performances from the Wilson brothers, Luke and Owen.
½ February 17, 2015
so Boring... "Comedy" my grandma's a**
It didn't even made me smile, let alone laugh !
Total waste of time.
½ February 16, 2015
I love it! Great characters, even pacing, confident direction, memorable acting, smart writing, and much more.
January 31, 2015
It has charming soundtrack and a likable cast, but overall Bottle Rocket doesn't know where its going. Part caper, part romance, part bromance, it's kind of a mess.
January 17, 2015
An early outing by Wes Anderson. Rushmore, The Royal Tanenbaums, the Darjeeling Limited, Moon Rise Kingdom, Life Aquatic, and The Grand Budapest Hotel would come later. The classic Wes Anderson characterization is here, but this film meanders a bit.
½ January 15, 2015
He looks at me and says, "Bob, just because you're a fuckup doesn't mean you're not my brother." That kind of touched me.
January 2, 2015
Aimless and not funny
December 29, 2014
Anderson's debut is smart, funny, and genuinely sweet. The Wilson brothers have a lot of chemistry as Owen Wilson's Dignan steals the entire movie.
December 10, 2014
Fresh and funny. Good directing and a great cast make this sparkle.
December 2, 2014
Wes Anderson and the Wilson Brothers would go on to do great things with their careers, but their debut Bottle Rocket, though somewhat endearing, is too self-serving and unfocused to be their showcase.
November 17, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

A person's debut film does not always expose the pure visionaries of an artist, but it displays enough for the audience to see that there is potential. Take a look at Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs; it clearly is a film that is still unrefined in its style, but it displays enough unconventional dialogue and extended takes, that it feels different from the other similar-plotted films. I chose to use Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs as an example because so much of Bottle Rocket conveys a resemblance to the film, but to say that this is a rip off or even a homage to it is ridiculous.

Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson in his most confined. It features a plot that does not push the boundaries of his audience's imagination, which he demonstrates later on with Steve Zissou and The Grand Budapest Hotel. The world he creates is neither manipulated nor exaggerated; instead he pushes people that live within it. It certainly felt jarring at first, because the films that I was drawn into the most from him were the ones that pushed both the characters and the environment they live in, creating a surreal and escaping experience.

Quirkiness and offbeat humour is certainly present in Bottle Rocket's central characters, contributing for one the factors that made the film enjoyable. Anderson creates conversations that are grounded and familiar but since he keeps the tone of the film light, it never delivers that crime edge that his characters would say given their profession and the position they put themselves in. As this was Anderson's first film, the lack of confidence in himself holds his characters back from being the exaggerated figures that they are supposed to portray, therefore it affected the film's ability to create comedy in a couple of instances. This loss of balance left me taking the film's characters with seriousness, hence seeing these characters as those familiar individuals that we find in contemporary dramatic-comedies. Also in regards to its storytelling ability, it was paced too swiftly in its first act, leaving me feeling disorientated with the character's intended goals; it was like as if Anderson has cut a few frames from its initial scenes to shorten its running time.

Bottle Rocket however does provide depth, regardless of Anderson's characters odd personalities. The film throughout lingers on the idea of the success and fame of crime, ergo the saying "crime pays" being repeated and argued in a couple scenes. The film certainly makes fun of its characters, showing the lack of sophistication of their heists but to them it was a step forward towards the right direction, at least so they thought. The film does certainly dwell on paternal-like issues, with Dignan obsessed with proving himself, particularly to Mr. Henry, to show that he is worthy of being in his team. There was something about it that felt like I was watching a satire of Scorsese's Goodfellas. Anthony, the film's sympathetic and grounded protagonist, is much different to Dignan and acts more on pushing the film's ideas of redemption; a man who feels like he is at his lowest, lacking in any sort of direction in life, suddenly finds love with a woman in the most unexpected places and through that he finds peace and happiness, slowly bandaging the emotional breakdown of his past.

The cast of Bottle Rocket does a decent job in portraying their roles, but I felt the chemistry between the two central characters needed a little more work. I felt there should have been a bit more intensity between the two actors during moments of elevated tension to sell their spoken dialogue. However when the film's comedic elements do land, they hit due to the actor's ability to bring that offbeat timing and many are successful due to the choice of words spoken or the reactions that come out of it.

Bottle Rocket felt like more of a demonstration to his audiences that he is a filmmaker worth investing; coming off more as the pitch rather than the finished product. It lacks the polish of his recent works but it brings enough positive qualities to prevent me from completely dismissing it.
November 16, 2014