Boudu Reviews

• Apr 30, 2009

Based on the 1932 film, Boudu is also not unlike 80's Bette Midler/Richard Dreyfuss effort Down and Out in Beverly Hills which was also about a charming homeless man who is recued from certain death and given a room in a well-off couple's home. Interestingly Nolte played the Depardieu role in Three Fugitives (a US remake of Les Fugitifs) and here Depardieu plays the Nolte role. I'm not sure what this all means but it FEELS significant somehow... (It's not) Boudu is directed by and stars French comedy veteran Gerard Jugnot and the film does feel like the kind of farce he would have done in the 80's, unfortunately the film was made in 2005 after about a million comedies were made with pretty much exactly the same story/structure/jokes. Better late than never? Not in this case. READ FULL REVIEW OVER ON THE RETROCRITIC BLOG! www.retrocriticblog.blogspot.com

• Nov 27, 2008

Interesting story! A tramp who's saved from drowning after he attempted to suicide stay at his rescuer's home. He acts like he was a king, and the guy who saved him, - and feeds and accomodates him -, is his slave. He doesn't want to leave his rescuer's home, and say to him that he better hadn't save him, if he's not happy. Lol An excellent cast, with the best french actor (even 1 of the best actors ever of the world), - Gerard Depardieu - and 2 other great actors, - Gerard Jugnot (also director of the film) and Jean-Paul Rouve-. But the movie isn't as funny as it could've been; as I thought it'll be.

• Oct 17, 2008

I think this film shows the value of honesty and that when you really love somebody honesty cannot destroy that feeling but only boost it and push it in the right direction. I love the idea that a man can learn that somebody spent a night with his wife, and instead of starting to hate that person, actually begin to LOVE him and notice that what that person brought into his life and into his marriage has a positive value.