The Bourne Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Identity Reviews

½ February 8, 2017
"The Bourne Identity" proves to be an exhilarating start to The Bourne Collection, and effectively sets the stage for a thrilling series. There are many elements that fit together to form the goodness that is "The Bourne Identity", especially the fact that it isn't just a standard start to finish, bland plot. The plot of this movie is excellent, you start the movie knowing absolutely nothing, and as it unfolds, and as we gain more information the unpredictability of it doesn't get too complicated to ruin the movie, but it makes you think, and perfectly executes the psychological impact it intended to have. I believe this was Matt Damon's second or third big hit movie, coming right after "Good Will Hunting", and he absolutely knocked it out of the park, so much so that in 2002 people started to recognize him as Jason Bourne rather than Will Hunting. Although some of the action sequences are a little cheesy (I'm trying to do my best to keep in mind that this is the early 2000's), there were some action sequences, one in particular, that I thought was ingeniously executed, and set the stage for thrilling scene. I thoroughly enjoyed what "The Bourne Identity" had to offer, and this probably deserves 4 stars, but I had to give it 3 1/2, only because that was my first instinct (but it was extremely close). In the end, though, "The Bourne Identity" is definitely worth watching.
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Robert Ludlum. The story of a man (Damon) who is discovered floating in the sea by a fishing boat. He has sustained two bullet wounds to his back and can remember nothing. He tries to rebuild his memory based on clues such as a Swiss bank account number which was found implanted in his hip. He soon realises that he is being hunted and takes off on a search to find out who he is and why he is being hunted. The first, and my favourite of the Bourne films. A well shot action/thriller with an intelligent story and well-drawn characters.
February 3, 2017
In 2002, Jason Bourne got a movie about the clever story about figuring out who he is. That movie is called THE BOURNE IDENTIFY. Did it succeed? Yes, combining acting with quick action scenes. The way Matt Damon goes to different places and exploring who he is, but gets confused to realize he was a assassin. Basing on the 83% tomatometer score, I feel as if this film doesn't get enough credit for starting up a franchise.
½ January 19, 2017
I had never seen this movie before last night, but I really enjoyed it.
½ January 15, 2017
I figured I should finally watch these damn Bourne films (ok, maybe not that Jeremy Renner one). And after the first movie, I don't regret that decision. It is entertaining constantly and intense throughout. You really root for Bourne. I'm excited to continue with the franchise.
January 6, 2017
love these films so hard for me to watch shaky cam please stop using this techniques
January 5, 2017
I'm waiting until they're done making all the movies to watch them.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 1, 2017
It may have some funny quips and cool action sequences, but it could never make up for that dreadful unoriginality characteristic of late 1990s and early 2000s action movies.
½ December 29, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: In 2002, the Bonds and Mission: Impossibles of this world suddenly found themselves with a new rival that largely eclipsed the efforts of other spy-thrillers of the era. Yes for once in the genre, 'The Bourne Identity' has a story that moves forward and flows - smartly focusing on our main character's journey rather than getting bogged down by petty politics. This attention to Bourne himself is what really hooks you, and that's helped not only by the brilliant writing, but also by Matt Damon's magnetic performance that makes the character feel so real. In fact, this whole movie feels as grounded as Bourne does, and huge credit should be given to the film's stylistic choices on that one. I just love the hand-held cinematography and the thriller elements that are incorporated by the lighting and score, and in the end it all amalgamates to a real on-the-ground feeling and a sense of edge-of-the-seat engagement that had become quite rare for a film of this type.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Despite the fact it flips the coin a bit on the government side of things, you can't get away from the fact it all feels a little cliched.
VERDICT: This will become a phrase I use to describe all the Bourne films; 'what it does, it does best.' The first was one bloody good spy-thriller - with a real emphasis on the 'thriller' half, at that.
½ December 19, 2016
Doug Liman stunning piece of cinematic action. Enjoy the ride!
½ December 15, 2016
A good bond-esque action movie with too little action. Matt Damon really does become Bourne and carries the movie on his back.
December 2, 2016
The Bourne Identity achieves originality while offering refined action set pieces in connection with a stellar performance by Matt Damon.
November 26, 2016
Mildly irritating (like an 11 yr old kid trying to impress someone with how bad-ass they are), very entertaining (like a good action movie should be).
What I like most is the grayness of the plot; there are no purely bad or good guys here, no one to bore you with imposed ideals.
November 17, 2016
One of the finest spy films ever made, 'The Bourne Identity' has the feel of Bond but on a more serious level, swapping the tongue-in-cheek for old-school espionage and gritty action. The only downfall of the film is that it does at times slow down and start to feel quite tedious, but just as it comes about, a crunching punch of action explodes leaving the audience wanting more. Very well-made action-thriller from Doug Liman based on the best-selling novel from Robert Ludlum.
October 25, 2016
Finally got around to watching it. It was ok. I really liked the plot and it had great actors involved. But the movie jumped around to much for me and overall it was kind of boring. It still wasn't a bad movie.
½ October 16, 2016
Quite a decent show but the amnesia concept might've been a bit cliche. For once, it has sorta a nice ending and not everyone dies...only the bad guys.
October 14, 2016
Dramatic, enjoyable, a good action!
September 21, 2016
This is an original action screenplay,Pros,of course Matt Damon as Jason Bourne,love Bourne,Doug Lineman's directing and the choreographed fights are freaking amazing,Franka Potente,Chris Cooper,The story and how they responded to the best-selling novels that I love,a very good car chase,cons,Clive Owen,that's it,I love The Bourne Identity,I love it it deserves more than it did
½ September 21, 2016
The Bourne Identity is an thrilling action flick that delivers and this is a movie that i grew up watching. Great action sequences, a memorable performance from Matt Damon, and the start of a great franchise.