The Bourne Identity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Identity Reviews

½ July 17, 2016
A great thriller and a strong start to one of my favorite action movies.
½ July 16, 2016
A great spy movie filled with fantastic fast paced action scenes, a compelling story, and an interesting premise. The best part of this movie is your experience it as if you were Jason Bourne and you question everything just as he does throughout the movie. Damon proves that he perfect for the role and even though I have literally seen her in nothing else Franka Potente does a great job as the love interest for Bourne. Top notch film!
July 13, 2016
The Bourne Identity is indeed very great. Great action, superb performance, and a unexpected thrilling film.
July 13, 2016
Considering the fact that 'Jason Bourne' is releasing later this month there has never been a better reason to talk about this incredible action franchise that introduced us to the man known as Jason Bourne. And there are some spoilers here and there but you've had plenty of time to see this film.

So here it is, the introduction to the best Action trilogy of all time and one of the strongest and most consistent trilogies to ever have existed... 'The Bourne Identity'. In this film; A man wakes to find himself in the middle of the sea with no identity and no knowledge of his past, as he is hunted down he uncovers more and more about his mysterious past and the man he used to be. This movie blended elements of Action, Mystery, Suspense, and some light Humour, all in a way that made this a very well crafted and thoroughly entertaining thrill ride. You have your exciting fast paced, grounded, action set-pieces, great characters, fantastic performances, and a touch of mystery to add another layer to what would otherwise be a basic plot. The only thing i miss when watching this film is not being able to remember my first experience with it, what i would give to see this for the first time again...

Lets start off with the action because when it comes to close quarters hand to hand combat, no-one is ever going to come close to overcoming Jason Bourne. His fight scenes are intense, exciting, and full of awesome brutal fast paced combat. Sometimes they briefly touch on the multiple jump cuts approach, but overall the scenes are very easy to watch. And there are so many memorable fight scenes in this film, the main one being where he fights a knife wielding assassin with a pen... a fucking pen... The guy could turn a ham sandwich into a deadly weapon if he needed to. The series constantly finds new ways to up the excitement and up the stakes in every film, and when you start with a pen fight scene, it's only up from there. Also one of my favourite shots in the trilogy, no matter how unrealistic it may seem is where Jason Bourne 'falls with style' down a shitload of flights of stairs on the back of a body, shoots a guy in the head half way down and doesn't end up a quadriplegic...

Matt Damon, Chris Cooper and Brian Cox were all amazing in their roles as very different characters with very contrasting personalities. Especially today, it is hard to look at these actors and not see their countless other recognisable roles. But they play these characters so well, with so much dedication to the role that this is the role you think of when you see them in other films. Franka Potente plays a likeable character who is serviceable to the plot and acts as the love interest but wasn't overly impressive in her performance. You empathise for the character and do really get behind her for sticking with Jason Bourne considering the mess she has been dragged into, but it wasn't the strongest performance in the film. She does have a good amount of chemistry with Bourne and compliments his rather blank expression rather well throughout the film.

Also what i thought this film did very well was how it handled being an individual film as well as setting up a very successful franchise. It has a fairly closed and contained story, you can walk away from this film having seen a beginning middle and end where all of the main points have been seemingly concluded. And at the same time there are small hints placed throughout the film and minor characters who don't get a full arc that elude to their presence in the sequel without making this film seem unfinished. Expertly put together if you ask me.

So that's it for this look back at the birth of Jason Bourne, the man who proves time and time again that James Bond wouldn't stand a chance in this universe. It is a fantastic all round very entertaining Action Thriller that spawned the greatest action movie trilogy of all time.

8/10
½ July 9, 2016
Great story, fine action and all without the need for non-stop shakey cam. Top entertainment.
July 6, 2016
For all its dumb elements (literally, almost everything), The Bourne Identity does deliver a lot of amazing action set pieces and good performances all around. One can suspend disbelief over the premise and enjoy it on a visceral level.
½ June 30, 2016
Bourne Identity has a pretty interesting premise, that of a secret agent who can't remember his name and discovers all the abitlities he has as he searches for clues of who he is. The disappointing part, is that this sets the perfect ground for a big twist; an unexpected outcome. And yet, it ends up being as predictable and simple as they implied it in the beginning. The scenery of Europe is nice. My last complain is that, and I know this may be because of the year it came out, but the punch sound effects, they really sound unreal, even cartoony. Takes you out of the movie completely.
½ June 30, 2016
The start of a awesome franchise, The Bourne Identity breaks new ground for the action genre
June 29, 2016
The Bourne Identity is an exciting and thrilling thriller in the moment. I liked the story between Bourne and Marie and I liked the scenes of them together. I enjoyed the movie, but I was still kind of hoping for something more. The whole sitting-at-the-edge-of-your-seat feeling was missing, which is a shame. Otherwise it was worthwhile whilst watching it but it didn't stay with me too long afterwards.
½ June 18, 2016
I don't know why I hated this when I first saw it. Maybe I was just too much of a film school snob... 'Cause it's a pretty solid spy thriller.
June 13, 2016
Solid spy-thriller that works thanks to a top-notch cast and brisk direction from Doug Liman, who wisely pairs down the plot from the novel and adapts it for modern-day. Matt Damon is excellent in the title role, nicely underplaying his performance as a man confused & horrified about who he is & who he might be. He gets nice support from the rest of the cast, particularly Franka Potenta as his love interest and Chris Cooper as the dogged CIA director hunting him down. Behind the camera, Doug Liman crafts some excellent action scenes (the car chase through Paris is nicely inventive) and pairs the story down from the book with efficiency. The one thing holding it back is an anti-climatic ending that doesn't live up to the superb action of the rest of the film. Overall, still one of the better action films of the last decade.
½ June 10, 2016
Full of intrigue and mystery, I quite like this movie. It's a smarter-than-average action movie with a compelling performance from Matt Damon. I actually think this is the best of the Bourne movies. The story is certainly interesting and gives a reason to watch the rest of these flicks. It demands a sequel, but in this case, that's alright.
June 6, 2016
A brilliant mix of great story telling, Great action and suspense, It only spoon feeds us bits about the plot all the way through but it's gripping from start to finish, A great car chase and the film adds some wit which works well, It's Bonds dark and gritty brother.
½ June 4, 2016
Walt Goggins and Julia Stiles!
½ May 30, 2016
The ultimate start to one of the best action movie trilogies, the Bourne Identity satisfies your action cravings, and gives you a dose of life on the run in foreign countries, something the majority of movies don't cover.
May 29, 2016
It's that other spy franchise that no one really cares about. Not as good as MI, but better than Bond in my opinion.
May 28, 2016
Over 80% RT rating? I seldom watch films critics panned, so I watched the first film of Jason Bourne.See the good aspect in the movie is those kick-ass bits of Jason Bourne duels. They are giving me the chills and the thrills. But don't you think the characters are too cold? Villains have no sophistication they all just wanna kill bourne. Bourne and Maria are not dynamic and well done, even though their screen time is overlong. Most importantly, the plot is surprisingly shallow. When the whole thing ended I was shocked that it did. I recalled the plot points and i don't find the story captivating, failing to live up to the film's beginning that kept me curious of Bourbes identity

I don't agree with the critics this time. I think this film bored me instead of living to my expectations. Meanwhile, the third film - Ultimatum, is actually great.
May 17, 2016
Smarter than your average action flick, The Bourne Identity offers a fresh take at the thriller genre, delivering high-paced action and brilliant dialogue. It may feel slow at times, but the pacing pays off big time. Definitely a solid first installment in a franchise.
½ May 9, 2016
A small, relatively low budgeted, action movie starring Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting, The Departed, Behind the Candelabra) directed by Doug Liman (Swingers, Jumper, Edge of Tomorrow).

It's a great movie, and a great beginning to one of the finest tuned trilogies of the 21st century.