The Bourne Supremacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Supremacy Reviews

August 3, 2016
A superb sequel. It is a lot more stylish than Identity and has an emotional climax.
½ August 3, 2016
Certainly more lively than the first, but still nothing here to cement my interest in his previous life.
August 2, 2016
Jason Bourne now knows who he truly is!
½ August 1, 2016
Builds on and improves on what was established in Identity. Paul Greengrass' direction perfectly matches the series, as the suspense increases in this chapter as well as the action. A solid second installment.
½ August 1, 2016
I mentioned in my Bourne Identity review that it felt like not much happened as it was a set-up film. This is where the real story begins. The action is bigger, the intensity is raised big time and the acting calibur is really propelled by Joan Allen. Her and Brian Cox both play great antagonists for Bourne to outwit and escape from. At first, I was extremely confused, but this film does a great job at dishing out little bits of information throughout the story that it all comes together in the end and what a satisfying ending it is. I cannot wait to watch the next entry!
August 1, 2016
The Bourne Supremacy isn't as good as the first, but it's still good.
½ August 1, 2016
Solid film overall. Personally I like the first one better, but the directing I feel like is much better in this film then the first. Good fun car chases. Could of added some more hand to hand fight. Good story.
½ July 31, 2016
4 and half stars out of 5, 86%
July 31, 2016
The Bourne Supremacy is a great sequel that delivers the same thrills the first one did while adding new things to the story. Some of the camera work is a little annoying but over all is a fantastic film!
July 30, 2016
The opening of Supremacy starts the cycle all over again of old white bad guys and plot servicing action. I enjoyed the whole run around though, even though Paul Greengrass was circling the same subject matter it felt fresh. It also contained my favorite scene, where he defeats a man with a rolled up magazine. A nice second is the "Shes right next to you" line that reveals he had been watching her, that they reused in ultimatum. The reveals of hidden missions and the schemes are all layered on to keep this movie, in my opinion, on even keel with its predecessors.
July 29, 2016
The Bourne Supremacy is a slightly better film than the Bourne Identity, although The Bourne Identity was a little bit more original, The Bourne Supremacy delivers better directing which makes for astounding action scenes, and much better acting and characters. Overall, The Bourne Supremacy is a great conspiracy thriller that is massively entertaining, even though the plot for me is still kind of a no.
½ July 29, 2016
arguably the best of the trilogy excellent pacing col fight scenes and a great story with interesting twists
July 29, 2016
Supreme to Indentity. Fight scenes, car chase, plot flow. Greengrass elevates the franchise, but not enough.
July 28, 2016
80% - A well-handled direction by Paul Greengrass and strong cinematography by Oliver Wood make this sequel miles better than The Bourne Identity.
July 28, 2016
*****
The Bourne Supremacy is my personal favourite of the original trilogy, with the best action, the best soundtrack, and a simple yet complex narrative. Masterful.
½ July 28, 2016
Another disappointing addition to the Bourne franchise. Bourne is portrayed as very unlikable, despite the fact he thinks he's the good guy, (which is strange coming from a Matt Damon role) because of the malicious way he treats civilians and his complete disregard to follow any simple laws that make him so frustrating to watch on screen. The car chases are exciting but the fight scenes are recorded so shakily that it hurts my eyes. I don't understand why shaking the camera is so hated until Paul Greengrass does it in a Bounre movie. It's slightly better than the first film but it's still incredibly underwhelming.
July 27, 2016
Part 2 of the movie series. Good action and thrill. Matt Damon and Franka Potente escape and lay low in India. Karl Urban framed an explosion with his finger print. Joan Allen is the deputy and investigating the missing $20 million from CIA and during the exchange of files, one of her agent got killed in the bomb attack. Karl took the money and files and handover to oil magnate Karel Roden. Karl try to kill Matt but Franka is dead instead. Joan got to know about Treadstone project and investigate further, to the dismay of Brian Cox who knew about the ops. She know someone in CIA is involve and a Russian politician wanted to expose who is the thief but was killed by his wife. She believe Matt is the culprit. Matt on purpose make his presence known to the team and he easily track down Joan. Julia Stiles was also brought onto the team. He ask to surrender and meet Julia only. Joan ask if he remember his killings years ago in Berlin. But he is not that foolish. He get some info from Julia and escape. When one of the agent tell Brian he think the bomb attack seems fake, Brian kills him. Matt did his own investigation and go back to the Berlin hotel he remember in flashback, in which he kills the said politician. Brian call Karel and ask him to kill Matt quickly if not their misdeeds will expose but the latter says he is obligate to do anything anymore. Matt appear behind him and recorded his voice admitting to the deeds. Joan got to know about the death of the agent and find Brian. He kills himself in front of her. Matt travel to Russia and kill Karl. Joan receive the recording and also step up to capture Karel. Matt find the daughter (Oksana Akinshina) of the politician he killed and says he is sorry for been the one and not as reported the mother kill the father. He call Joan and she thank him. Also tell him his real name is David Webb and birthday and place of born. She want Matt to talk more to her but he decline and prefer to go off the grid.
½ July 27, 2016
Surprisingly good for a sequel
½ July 27, 2016
Supremacy builds on all the strengths of 2002's 'Identity' by giving Jason Bourne a much more relatable and grounded side. It's far from risky or overly original, but The Bourne Supremacy is as tightly compacted and impeccably directed as a spy thriller can get.

Stepping in for Doug Liman is Paul Greengrass, known now as a master of suspense films, and Supremacy was one of his first gems. As I've said before, the original Bourne trilogy gets better with each film, and I think this second entry in the spy series may give us the best performance from Matt Damon in the title role. With his increasingly likable performance and magnetic charm, along with Tony Gilroy's well strung script, Supremacy tends to hit on all levels.

With a bigger budget and seemingly more freedom in that department, I feel like the filmmakers wanted to turn the series in a slightly more action heavy route. Instead of Bourne being on the run from the C.I.A., this time he's hunting them, and the action steps up because of that. Bourne has more time to plan out his moves and hence the scenes feeling more natural and polished. With that said, the reason the action works so well, is because the characters are written with depth and motivations. There are no mustache twirling villains, you understand where everyone is coming from, even if you don't agree with their decisions.

One of those nicely written characters is Joan Allen's Pamela Landy. Landy, a new task force leader from the C.I.A., wants just as many answers as Bourne as she draws close to the truth behind Treadstone. Unfortunately for her, Bourne is after everyone who ever wronged him, and Landy may be one of them. Much like the first film, as the audience you suspect what's going on, but it's far more interesting to watch the performances and reactions of the characters finding out themselves. That's a tribute to the acting and directing.

At the center of each Bourne film is the performance of the great Matt Damon, and I don't know that he's ever been as good as he is in 'Supremacy'. The wide range of emotion and flawless action sequences that he (reportedly) did stunts for is impressive. The best Bourne is revenge Bourne and that's what we get here. It's always entertaining to watch him rip apart the C.I.A.'s attempts to take him down, even on the 5th or 6th viewing.

+Damon has never been better

+Joan Allen

+Amped up action, amped up characters

+Vulnerable but vengeful Bourne