Bowling for Columbine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bowling for Columbine Reviews

½ June 29, 2015
Far superior to the previous film, "Bowling for Soup." But seriously, go watch it.
½ June 26, 2015
"Bowling for Columbine" is a tongue-in-cheek look at gun control and the outbreak of school shootings that began in 1999. Regardless of my political stance on the right to bear arms, I have to admit that this Oscar-winning documentary is very well put together and covers the topic from a variety of perspectives. The most important part of this film is that Michael Moore tackles the issue and leaves political parties out of it. Documentaries often approach an issue from the perspective of a particular party and the result is a whiney one-sided argument. Moore doesn't blame any single president; in fact, he equally attacks every administration from 1970-2002. His point is further strengthened by the fact that he is a lifetime member of the NRA and won awards for shooting when he was in school. The audio and video recordings from the 1999 Columbine shooting are hard to watch but the parts that left the biggest impact on me were the montages with an anachronistic song played over top of them. The "Happiness is a Warm Gun" sequence shows shootings and suicides then, following a segment about how our weapons of mass destruction are used to protect us from foreign aggressors, the "What A Wonderful World" sequence shows a bunch of foreign policy decisions in which our country was the aggressor or provided weapons to the enemies that we now attack. I felt that the K-Mart part of the documentary cheapened it a little bit because it came off as extremist and inappropriate. Moore could have proven his point without bullying a company and verbally attacking people like Dick Clark and Charlton Heston. Statistics alone should have been enough, like the incredibly low number of gun-related deaths in other countries compared to our own. Moore argues that our media has created a culture of fear that makes us more likely to use guns. He displays this through a nauseating cartoon "A Brief History of the United States of America" that shows our history of fear and how it has made us a violent society. Politics and personal beliefs aside aside, "Bowling for Columbine" is an impressive documentary that represents the issue from several perspectives and makes a strong argument for its case.
½ June 23, 2015
Bowling for Columbine is an excellent documentary. It is about a look at America's love affair with firearms. Michael Moore brought a great discussion about guns and gun violence. The script is well written. Moore also did a great job directing this documentary. I enjoyed watching this motion picture.
June 21, 2015
Interesting, BUT Moore comes off as an annoying prick with a dull narration, the editing is awkward and .... IT HAS LITTLE TO NOTHING TO DO WITH COLUMBINE.
½ June 14, 2015
Docs like this should get people talking one way or another....this does that and more.One of the best movies of the year.
June 7, 2015
Michael Moore: "If you were to talk directly to the kids at Columbine or the people in that community, what would you say to them if they were here right now?"

Marilyn Manson: "I wouldn't say a single word to them I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did".

Bowling for Columbine is a documentary about the gun Violence in America is shown as Michael Moore looks for causes and answers from some of America's top opponents of gun control.

Bowling For Columbine is one of best documentary's I've seen in a while. It's both unique and interesting with it's powerful look on gun violence in america and the Columbine shooting back in 1999. All this is shown in different type of tones, you got a brilliant sense of humor, a strong statement and the truth.

Michael Moore to me is 50/50, I know a lot of people don't like him and not a lot of people do like him. Yeah sometimes he can come off as jerk when it comes to interviews and some of the topics that he focus on, but I got to admit he sometimes comes up with some clever ideas to support he's statement and proving he's point to everyone, even when some may not agree. I don't hate the guy as these much more people out there that are even worse (like Katie Hopkins. If you don't know who she is look her up, she's a horrible human being). Moore is trying to get he's worries out about the fact that you can walk up to a counter of a gun shop and say "Can I have a gun please", and they give it to you and that person may shoot others if it falls into the wrong hands, and I can understand him right there even when Moore can take it to another level of forcing it in people faces which makes him look like a jerk to some.

The documentary jumps around to different places and people by hearing their thoughts on the gun problem and the Columbine Massacre. All opinions are mixed and this documentary is like a time capsule of what the people and the whole controversy bullsh*t that was happening back then was like. I always love those kind of documentary's that show you a bit of the past and everybody's thoughts back then, it's just so interesting.

The ending scene with Michael Moore interviewing Charlton Heston was both brilliant and it was hard to look away it was that strong. People may not like that scene has Moore is forcing the message down his throat, but I sawed something else then that, I sawed Moore trying to something right even when it might not be the thing but at least he's trying to prove he's own point.

Now for the problems: My only little problem with the documentary and it's only a ant size problem and that's when they talk about the Columbine High School Massacre and they talk about what may cause Eric and Dylan (The shooters of the massacre) to start shooting by on that day. They brought up that it might be violence on TV, violence in movies and games and they even brought up bowling as one, but they didn't bring up bullying and to those who didn't know, Eric and Dylan was bullied really bad and they were out cast of the school as nobody really cared for them, maybe that's why they did it, for revenge. The documentary didn't bring that up and I was wondering why they didn't put that in.

Overall Bowling for Columbine is a Documentary that's worth recommending and worth seeing.
May 15, 2015
I've seen this movie before, but I wouldn't mind watching it again as Michael Moore really gets down to the nitty gritty about what happened and why about the Columbine massacre.
April 18, 2015
You may not agree with Moore's sometimes questionable methods, but there is no denying that he presents some very strong arguments in this important, thought-provoking exposť of what drives and motivates these occurrences in a country where fear is instilled into people by a crippled system.
April 17, 2015
Does a documentary film losses it's
validity after several years have
passed? Depends on the "Actual
Events" depicted on the film. For
2002's Bowling for Columbine,
time hasn't passed that much.
The nation has a new President
and now we can be hopeful of the
new things to come.

But back when the film was released
the United States were in turnmoil,
the war was recently starting and the
nation was beggining to see the
cracks of the Bush administration.
The media filled the citizens with fear
and every major city was expecting
terror attacks; no one felt safe.

Who can feel safe in a nation that gets
over 11,000 people dead by homicide?
This is what this documentary is about.
Bowling for Columbine tries to answer the
question, Why are so many killed in the
U.S.A. each year by hand guns? Why gun
control laws aren't more strict? Michael
Moore asks the questions that were planted
on everyone's mind at the time. Why the
goverment wasn't doing anything for this
"epidemic". They weren't doing anything
because it was in their best interest to
keep selling hand guns and hand gun

Though the film never gets to answer
these questions, it gets you to ask more.

The only question it gets me answered
it is that yes, while we're seeing
repercusions of Bush's 8 year hellish
administration and the nation has a
new and more promising president a
documentary film (and particularly this
documentary) can still preserve it's validity
after years have passed.

The documentary is truly entertaning,
insightful and at times sad. That's why
it won an Academy Award and countless
other awards.
½ April 4, 2015
Best mockumentary I watched till this point. Just simply points out every thing that is wrong with america.
March 28, 2015
Michael Moore is a dick but this film was well made, so I have to give it some credit.
March 19, 2015
I think this documentary tackles a very strong problem in america and that's it.
March 16, 2015
Satyrical in its nature and thought provoking, Michael Moore proves his expertise in a documentary thats harsh, very well done, and interesting to watch.
March 15, 2015
It's certainly interesting, but it never comes up with an explanations or ideas on America's gun problem.
March 5, 2015
Mike asks good questions that to be fair, show how our country does hypocritical and violent actions and choices. unfortunately, he also seems to take liberties with "truth" in a way that Rush Limb... also does. He seems to link our gun rights and "fear" as to why kids and adults kill in America. I looked at wikipedia for homicide rates by country. Yes Canada and Japan are very low. But how about Africa, Brazil, Russia, Greenland. It just appears he has an agenda and uses this emotional terrible situation to push it. My take on why these boys killed: they were sociopaths with a means. Disarm Americans to protect us from sociopaths? I vote NO.
February 21, 2015
As satirically comedic as it is powerful, Bowling for Columbine sheds light onto dark subject matters and proves what Americans are unfortunately capable of with the access of guns and fear.
February 21, 2015
A meaningful and insightful documentary about how guns are an influence in America.
February 8, 2015
Michael Moore proves effective in getting America to stop and think, not only about the big tragedies, but the fear mongering that comes both as a result and maybe a potential cause.

Moore's personal passion for the subject shows through and adds to the earnest authenticity of the film.

While pacing was an issue and the name may be misleading, the point isn't: these sort of questions don't necessarily need to be answered, but they certainly need to be asked.

Particularly impressive sequences include Moore's trip to Windsor, Ontario where citizens don't lock their doors at night and his personal interview with the leader of the NRA.

This film packs an emotional wallop at times while steering away from pandering or appealing to pathos.

Rather, the facts and stories are presented for the viewer to interpret, the way a good documentary should.
½ February 3, 2015
Emotional, and provocative. But bold, and courage. Michael Moore incremental approach to the history of the United States. And shows the history of violence. Looking for a cause, ask endless. Such a process is very passionate, humorous, and satirical. He speaks directly. "The gun does not kill people. Americans are killing people."
January 24, 2015
Exactly what you expected from Moore.