Boy Interrupted - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boy Interrupted Reviews

March 29, 2016
"there isn't a choice to cope"

A tremendously sad and heartfelt documentary looking at the life and tragic suicide of a young teenage boy. With such a personal and distressing subject matter, you might expect those involved to tread with caution and hold something back but that's not the case here. The film's strongest achievement is its honesty. It's that honesty that allows us to see ourselves in their shoes or in Evans and it's stories like this that stay with you. This is a film where you will learn something, just as long as you're willing to take the lesson.
½ November 3, 2014
Boy Interrupted is a harsh, brutally honest look into the lives of mentally ill children and the hardship that their parents must learn to deal with.
April 1, 2014
This is ine of the most compelling and insightful pieces I have ever seen about unravelling what life is for a person with mental illness.
March 26, 2014
Really powerful and emotional documental. Just wanna give thanks to that family for having the courage to share their experience about their son and all the powerful quotes they said during the film. Evan would be 24 already only 2 years younger than me
December 14, 2013
While the film may lack the precision and sharp editing as can be seen in more impressive indie-documentaries such as Dear Zachary, Boy Interrupted is nevertheless an effective movie that is important to watch. Its incredibly detailed and honest accounts of people who most closely observed the deeply disturbed, late Evan Perry brings a sense of credibility and realism to the mental illness that is often overlooked and claims many lives, even to this day. It is admittedly a difficult movie to sit through, but it is one that should not be passed.
May 22, 2013
Production value is terrible, but the film itself is frightening and very sad.
½ October 20, 2012
this documentary is about so much more than a teenager that couldn't cope and decided to end his life. and whether it was inevitable that evan went off his medication at 15 or at 30, that, as his therapist said, his death was inevitable, this story speaks to the difficulties of being a teenager and as his older brother said "the things that you think make you unpopular and unloved today are the things that will attract people to you, make you interesting in five years." if there is a documentary that all teenagers should see it's this one. even though evan's bipolar disorder added to the complications and the depression, it's good for people to see that one's perspective at this moment is just not reliable. a very sad tale, indeed.
½ September 15, 2012
"Boy Interrupted" is a completely devastating view about mental illness and suicide that will haunt you for days.
January 30, 2012
Heartbreaking and haunting... very well done and intimate documentary paying focus to the struggle with mental illness and a life lost way too soon...
January 7, 2012
One of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. Boy Interrupted is a powerful documentary about suicide that is intimate and personal. It's well made but very hard to watch.
July 15, 2011
Powerful, Sad, Well made.
½ July 15, 2011
I think this is probably the most useful film that has the most relevance. These are my reasons as to why.

I'm one year older than the main character in the film. And I have tried to kill myself two times with the use of pills at the age of 15 and 16. Ironically this is the first time I have ever disclosed this information to anyone.
July 15, 2011
A very well made documentary about a very sensitive topic. It speaks very deeply about an aspect of American society which is not discussed very often. Emotion would not let me take my eyes off the screen as my heart was filled with sorrow for a family who did their best and a boy who lost his life much too early. Evan and I were the same age and I could not help but feel a connection to him and I wish that I could have known him and somehow affected his life.
R.I.P. Evan.
April 11, 2011
Very sad, but very good. People who can't comprehend what mental illness or depression can do to a person should watch this.
½ October 27, 2010
Wow, no one has reviewed this? The imdb boards have plenty to say about it. A documentary on the suicide of a 15 year-old boy opens the door for plenty of discussion, but also leaves one asking...what the??

Not much to say about the topic. I have my theories and I won't call them any more ill-conceived than any other theories out there. The doctor in the movie does seem a bit weak, but says something very provocative that got his butt nailed on message boards: they could have stopped the suicide for so long, but it still would have happened. For all his seeming incompetency, that line is pretty profound.

Of course, people don't want to hear that. To not have any say in the matter, even with drugs and/or counseling? No, it can't be. We choose to be unhappy or we choose to kill ourselves. Just like we choose our sexual orientation, etc. I think if you opened enough individual case studies on suicide, you might reach this same conclusion. Treat people with drugs or counseling but many still have the same result. But Mike, drugs obviously work for some. Many thousands who are on drugs don't kill themselves. Yes, and many people who drink beer don't become alcoholics.

I once saw a show on Discovery Health about a child that kept injuring himself. At first, it seemed more like seizures. The injuries were a side-effect of a medical problem. In time, it became obvious that the kid was actually intentionally injuring himself...all before the age of two or three. They ended up padding his crib and everything to prevent head banging, took out some teeth to prevent biting of tongue and lips, etc. I can't remember if they found a solution, and I this is obviously an extreme case, but I believe it highlighted a biological link with behavior.

Things get more complicated when kids grow older. This kid was talking about death before he could really know what it was. As he got older and smarter, he should have known. His suicide note indicates that he knew exactly what was going on and made a calculated choice to end it. Sort of like a cost-benefit analysis.

Finally, the family gets credit for a strong documentary, but kinda weird? It's whatever to me, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be filmed all the time. I wouldn't want my funeral filmed (his note calls for a private funeral and now it's open for the world to see??). The idiots will blame that kind of family for the end result, but they have it all there on tape: the kid wanted to die from the get-go. If nothing else, that makes for a well-documented and interesting case study.
October 15, 2010
this is a documentary more then anything. its about a boy that at a very young age (age 5) decided that life aint worth living and wanted to kill himself. his mother filmed him through out the years and all u see is him at the age of 5 sing about stabbin himself wit a knife or hanging himself. later at the age of 7 he tried to hang himself but didnt do it, then at the age of 11 tried to jump of his school. he went into the mental institution and got better and then got worse and at the age of 15 jumped off his house. its just a heart wrenching story especially to those wit kids. very sad but very educational to those that think their kid has a problem...
April 2, 2010
.intention is delivered..and is raises many issues..
½ February 23, 2010
A 15-years-old bipolar boy commits suicide. He's determined to do that since his 5. He's intelligent, smart and beloved by his friends and family. Everyone think he's happy
½ February 18, 2010
Was very slow at the beginning, almost lost me, but as it went on, it was pulling me in. The suicide note that was shown broke my heat.