Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boy Reviews

January 17, 2014
El paso y las actuaciones son geniales. Pastel, tierna, dolorosa, cómica y muy real.
January 5, 2014
Charming, unique, and heartwarming in a "Napolean Dynamite" way, this zany character-driven indie darling has equal parts spirit, comedy, and drama, making it a compelling if off-colour take on the seminal coming of age tale.
½ December 30, 2013
I was wrong when judging that they "only" excel in modern dance. New Zealand is in cut-throat competition with India :D
December 25, 2013
Wonderfully imaginative and original coming of age story about an 11 year old boy growing up in Waihau Bay in New Zealand. James Rolleston is excellent as Boy and I will be actively seeking out more movies directed by the talented Taika Waititi.
December 24, 2013
Some very funny moments in this film. Very well made. The boy is fantastic.
December 22, 2013
Hilarious and heart-warming at the same time.
½ December 11, 2013
It's always fun to look back at the 1980s, and this film doesn't make much fun of it. Instead, it shows how American pop culture permeated even the far recesses of New Zealand in 1984. The imaginations of two young brothers help keep their lives moving forward even as their father returns after a long absence. It takes the oldest child's adult reaction to his father's messed up life for the father to start to mature himself.
½ December 11, 2013
'Boy', set on the East Coast of New Zealand, will make you laugh and cry. Written and directed by Taika Waititi, who also plays the role of Boy's Father, Alamein, this movies is
unpretentious, devoid of self pity and beautifully acted. The eleven year old Boy (played by James Rolleston), lives with his brother Rocky and three Cousins. They are cared for by an Aunt (whom we never see) because their Mother is dead and their Father is 'away'. The family is a self-sustaining little unit and although they get by, it is clear they are on the breadline. Boy is a bright, happy, innocent child who idolizes Michael Jackson and is over the moon when he finally gets to meet his Father. When his Aunt goes away, Boy must run the household with the help of his young brother and cousins. Initially things run relatively smoothly but that all changes when, out of the blue, the brothers' Father shows up with the intention of digging up a cache of money he buried years ago. Boy is spellbound by this Father he never knew and idolizes his every move. As Alamein becomes more comfortable around his sons and the house, it is clear he is not particularly interested, or capable of, taking on the responsibility of child care. Much of his time is spent horsing around with his mates, drinking beer, smoking weed, puffing up his ego and desperately seeking sources of money. Boy, who was previously picked on at school and ignored by the girl he fancied, is now bursting with pride as he shows off his Father to the folks of the small town. Boy's attempts at emulating his Father, are almost painful to watch but, as the treasure hunt goes on and on, Alamein's self-absorption, petulance, anger, and abuse of alcohol and drugs initiates a dramatic shift in the dynamic between Father and Son.

The beauty of this film is its simplicity, outstanding acting and the combination of matter-of-factness, radiant joy and palpable sorrow expressed by Boy as he deals with the radical changes that befall his family life. If you want to see a thoughtful, intelligent, really well made movie, (and if you don't mind getting the Kleenex out), I thoroughly recommend it.
November 6, 2013
if you have netflix check this movie out.
November 5, 2013
With its vivid and humbling homegrown feel Boy is a master class film that delivers on so many levels. Its witty clever humour is used in perfectly directed sequences but thankfully doesn't make the film become a joke. While some scenes feel awkward and sometimes thought to be fillers, the emotional imapct of Boy is intense making it an amazing film. Its cast is fantstic conveying the set characters with triumph but some characters feel like bare generalisations of some parts of society. But this doesn't hide the fact that Boy is now a classic
November 5, 2013
Lot's of fun, pretty original.
½ November 3, 2013
A heartwarming film for the kid in all of us
October 24, 2013
Boy is a film that captivates from start to finish. I loved everything about it.
½ October 24, 2013
What a charming little gem of a film! Funny and cute, with the drama of a child's viewpoint, beautifully and nostalgically delivered. The habitually picked-on little brother, apologetically convinced he has 'powers', has to be one of the funniest and cutest little fellas I've seen on film! Subtitles were helpful, though, with the Kiwi actors using such clipped and casual accents you can hardly see their lips moving at times! :D
½ October 9, 2013
Welcome to my interesting world... you egg! what a little treasure..this film is so funny, well done, really well acted by a bunch of great kids & Mister Taika Waititi himself playing a lose can father with evident thrill! The soundtrack is good, the locations pretty unique & the story well narrated. One could dispute some parts of the scenario who sometimes doesn't fully explore the potential of such hilarious material but nevermind, the heart the of the film is elsewhere in the eyes of this young naïve boy who realize slowly but surely how disappointing this father he was dreaming about turn out to be.... Still it's a unique & gorgeous little film.
October 6, 2013
This movie was tough to search for on rottentomatoes. I guess New Zealand films don't get top billing. Fair enough. This movie has a ton of charm as we follow Boy's naivety regarding his biological father and his ineptitide and selfishness. What interests me is the necessity to have this film set in 1984, which really doesn't serve much of a purpose to the film, aside from Boy's obsession with Michael Jackson. I always love to find great international films that seem to fly under the radar. Check it out!
½ September 28, 2013
A beautiful coming of age film from New Zealand that explores father son relationship with both poignancy and humor. This is a gem of a film- spontaneous and artistic, and free from the big studio pretensions.
September 23, 2013
Incredible coming-of-age film right here. I hadn't heard of Taika Waititi before this film, but after this film he is definitely someone to keep your eye on as he's quite adeptly combines a quirky, and imaginative, sense of humor, offbeat charm with emotional depth and strong character development. I don't think this film tells a story that is wholly unique. Boy, literally...that's his name, idolizes his father, who's been gone for years. To the point where he creates this exaggerated image in his mind of a father who's absolutely perfect who will take him away and they'll live in a mansion, wear suits and ride dolphins. The film sees Boy, as Alamein comes back into his life after being in prison, as he finally gets to see that his father, while not a bad man per se, isn't exactly as perfect as he'd imagine. That fantasy he has lived all these years is shattered once he sees his father get beat up in a fight near the climax of the movie. I think the movie is certainly emotionally engaging without being sentimental or resorting to cheap tactics, which is always a good thing. If there is one problem is that the stress that Boy has from seeing that his father is just a regular man, and not the superhero he imagined, and from the death of his pet goat probably comes to close to the ending for it to be truly effective, at least in my opinion. It was certainly well-done and solidly acted but, again, it would've been better if it had been building up over a period of time rather than all of it coming at once. There is that moment when Alamein comes and yells at Boy for taking his jacket, but then he apologizes and it's all back to normal. So I don't know, what ended up happening to Boy felt a little bit rushed, but it's still good. The acting is really strong from all involved but there are moments, to me, where James Rolleston, who plays Boy, has some missteps. I think that's forgivable considering that, I believe, this was his first time acting. If anything, of the actors who played Boy and Rocky, I found the actor that played Rocky to be the one that most pleasantly surprised me. I found the character of Rocky to be, by far, the most interesting of the film because of the fact that he believes he kills his own mother during his birth. Because of this, he believes he has superpowers and while it does lead to some funny moments, it's also done to illustrate Rocky's issues with his mother's death. A mother he never met, and I thought that was very well done. Really, this is a movie that is not without its flaws. But I think the heartfelt script and the imaginative sense of humor still makes this a great movie and one that I highly recommend.
½ September 1, 2013
Even the inevitable flaws of the low-budget production are winning, showcasing as they do the narrative artistry that makes Boy so distinctive amid current factory-written studio productions.
½ August 25, 2013
A very sweet and charming coming-of-age movie. Boy is different and the culture behind the movie is great, as well. Well written and directed by Taika Waititi!