The Boy Who Wanted to Be a Bear (Drengen der ville gøre det umulige) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boy Who Wanted to Be a Bear (Drengen der ville gøre det umulige) Reviews

½ April 5, 2011
This reminded me of something that would be on PBS. The animation was very simple, but very cool. The story was touching, but kind of dragged; almost painful and annoying to watch at times.
½ April 1, 2011
A dilemma everybody faces some time in their lives, who are they?
This movie is a beautiful and moving story, with an amazing soundtrack.
½ October 1, 2010
This is a beautifully artistic animated movie. Each scene is set on a beautifully understated water colored back drop. Unlike most modern animated stories this movie does not have a liberal axe to grind. The movie opens up on an innuit mother after she has delivered her own son in a small, isolated one room hut. The father returns an names the boy bear beacause he has a bear spirit. The mother and father polar bears are chased by wolves and the exhausted near term mother slips off a cliff into the water. Father polar bear dives in and saves mother, later she delivers a still born polar bear. The male polar bear tries to console the female polar bear and is initially unable. He slips into the hut and bonds with the infant. The woman finds the bear holding her infant and attacks the bear with a spear. The bear knocks her across the room unconscious with a swath of his huge paw. The boy is eventually returned to his human family several years later, but never accepts being human or human language. He wishes to become a polar bear and seeks mystical assistance. This movie effectively tugs on heart-strings right to a near breaking point. I'm glad I did not read any of the reviews before I watched it with my 3 and 4 year old sons. The MPAA would have cut the following scenes: -In the opening scene the innuit mother is holding her new born and you can see a slight indication of hair on herbare lower waist. She holds up her son and he has "Simpson-esque"genitalia. -Open on the mother polar bear after she has delivered her new born pup and she licks his muzzle to get him to breathe. After she realizes there is no hope, she lays him down and exits the den and buriers the entrance to protect him from scavengers. The reviews of this movie are parents who want to set there children down in front of the video babysitter while they yap on there cell phones.
½ May 29, 2008
The extreme harshness of the fantastical story and environment are beautifully softened by the simple animation techniques and soulful score.
½ August 13, 2007
Fantasy animated film about a boy who is stolen from his family as a baby and raised as a polar bear. Unable to adjust to being a human when rescued by his father he wishes to become a real bear. Endearing animation but childish animation and story make this one for the very young only. Plus really irritating voices in the dubbed version.
August 30, 2006
woo hoo! i wanna be a bear too!
August 10, 2006
I wanted to be something once too.....but as far as this being a kids film, what'up with the "love" of the bear? looks a little fishy to me!
May 27, 2006
a very good cartoon. I loved it.