Boyfriends and Girlfriends (L'ami de mon amie) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boyfriends and Girlfriends (L'ami de mon amie) Reviews

January 26, 2016
Rohmer's final part of his Comedies and Proverbs ends, at last, with My Girlfriend's Boyfriend. It feels like a bad episode of an 80's soap, which to its credit, it probably influenced many. Popular at the time no doubt but all I could see is all the things I didn't like about the 80's, It certainly doesn't do anything for French cinema, after the great films of the new wave and the great films Rohmer himself has made, this is a head scratcher. Oh, and again, it's not funny.
½ August 18, 2015
#6 in Rohmer's comedies & proverbs series
½ January 26, 2014
Rohmer presenta la naturaleza humana como nadie
½ September 14, 2012
Speelt zich af te midden la ville nouvelle de Cergy-Pontoise, en alle krankzinnigheid die daarbij hoort.
July 29, 2012
how many of us have come across characters like this in real life.....excellent
March 27, 2012
criticker predicted tci: 90
February 29, 2012
This is much more stilted than many of Rohmer's films, with the actors feeling very staged and formal. This doesn't feel like a commentary on the shallow aspects of the character's lives either--it just seems like wooden acting. That said, it still engages due in large part to Chaulet's presence.
½ January 28, 2012
Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. Maybe it's that the translation doesn't do the dialogue justice, but I couldn't muster any interest in the stilted, self-centered analytical musings of any of the characters. Add to this a decision to tell the story in an uncinematic fashion-- static camera, no action, flat colors (at least in my VHS version), and drab settings-- and you get one colossal bore. Oddly, I recognize that this isn't really that far removed from a film by Whit Stillman, whom I love, and whose films are often given the same criticism.
½ October 26, 2010
Set amid the stunning scenery offered by French modernity and in a world populated entirely by the "beautiful", this film unusually revolves around a slow burning local government bureaucrat. Rohmer once again demonstrates beauty in the mundane. If you like modernity this is worth watching just to see Blanche's apartment.
½ April 4, 2010
Another simple and honest film from Eric Rohmer. Masterful.
April 3, 2010
A low key but charming story about a girl who goes off with her friend's boyfriend. An interesting slice of everyday life in late 80's France. Great use of the new town of Cergy-Pontoise on the outer fringes of Paris as a location. The characters mention that they can see the Eiffel Tower in the distance from their stylish but souless housing developments but the grit and bustle of the metropolis is a world away.
½ March 5, 2010
Rohmer in his usual style concentrates on social realism through sincere characters. While he achieves this in a strong enough plot the scripting is weak.
January 30, 2010
Realisation reussie mais film vain...
December 22, 2009
Probably my least favourite of Rohmer's films as it feels a little condescending at times, but still the dynamics of the varied lovers was rather intriguing and had the finer moments. The ending was weak and pale, which is normal for him but still, it didn't end nicely or in any delightful manner which I've always liked about his endings despite everything.
September 25, 2009
Realistically written and portrayed, up until the contrived final act.
½ June 26, 2009
So lame to the point where it was ridiculous. Emotional depth....0. Intriguing plot...0. Kind of a waste of time but at least I got to listen to some French...
½ September 25, 2008
umm. i love french films but this one drug on. made following subtitles distracting. loved the bad 80's clothes.
½ June 10, 2008
A very adorable story, breezy as all Rhomer.
½ June 5, 2008
The plot is simple, the people may be too narrow-minded and self-focused. Surprisingly it is very good!