The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story Reviews

July 19, 2016
Great documentary on Richard and Robert Sherman, who wrote loads of songs for Disney movies, and their difficult fraternal relationship. Recommended!
May 26, 2016
I enjoyed learning more about the lives of some of my absolute favorite songwriters, but I felt like this movie could have been made better. It has an amateurish quality, although I realize it was made by the kids of the Sherman Brothers. It did have its moments. It wasn't quite what I expected though as it was a fairly saddening story. (First and only viewing - 1/23/2011)
August 31, 2015
An amazing documentary on the songwriting duo who brought us the wonderful songs from such films like Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
June 13, 2015
Moving and poignant, bittersweet..
½ September 22, 2014
Robert B. Sherman: [talking about Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers] She was such a witch.

This was so sad; how tragic it is that one of the most collaborative team of singer-songwriters, who incidentally were also brothers, and brought so much fun-filled, happy music to the world, disliked each other so immensely that they couldn't even stand to be in the same room together at the end. It's just so heartbreaking, not just because they wrote beautiful music together, but the bottom-line was they were siblings and they were they only sibling each other had. I would just die if I didn't have my sister; I mean, we're not perfect we fight like all siblings do, but to completely cut her and her family out of my life is just unimaginable. Hopefully they can reconcile, eventually, before the end. So much time wasted over a trifle issue, that if you really think about, is completely insignificant. Please Misters Shermans reach out to each other and spend quality time with each other because there is nothing more important in whole wide world than the love of your family.
½ March 3, 2014
One of the best docs I've watched. Crazy how much they wrote.
½ January 31, 2014
Amazing story of these two guys and the history of many of the beloved Disney songs.
January 4, 2014
Very interesting discussion of one of America's greatest song writing teams.
½ December 26, 2013
This was a great companion piece for us to watch after having viewed Saving Mr. Banks.
December 18, 2013
Great documentary tells an interesting story and has nostalgia for anyone who enjoyed the songs from movies and television shows.
September 4, 2012
Fascinating documentary, poignant and nostalgic.
June 28, 2012
Historical in every possible way, it's hard to remember The Boys is supposed to focus on the men behind the music and not necessarily the music itself. Not because they are uninvolving people, but because the music is beyond legendary. The film falters only in its running time, wanting to cover as much ground as possible instead of worrying about the playability of the product. Not exhaustive, but exhausting. Not flattering, but almost ego stroking. Sure, these two men are legends in some circles, but their personal relationship? It seems like something for the family to work out behind closed doors. Major points for the doc, though, for not ending in the way one would expect. In other words, not like a typical Disney movie.
Jason Vargo
April 22, 2012
½ April 3, 2012
I grew up listening to their songs, but their story is kinda sad. They created all these amazing tunes that I'll probably remember the rest of my life & they can't even stand to be in the same room with each other. But there's a love still there, even though neither one knows how to bridge that gap. Great documentary.
March 13, 2012
Wow such an inspirational story, god rest your soul Robert Sherman
January 30, 2012
Superficial and didactic. The story of the brothers who wrote many of Disney's most famous songs (Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, It's A Small World, their filmography is extensive, etc.). This movie should have been less than an hour. The brothers had conflicting personalities and despite working together for 40 years and professionally giving the impression that they were inseparable, they were never were close, and their families stayed divided for 40+yrs (even separate receptions after their father's (their kids' grandpa's) death). But that part isn't really touched upon or drawn out. Instead, you get to hear about 30 minutes worth of Mary Poppins behind-the-scenes, as well as detail about their collaborative process at Disney in the 50's-80's. Two other Sherman boys, one from each Sherman brother and who hadn't seen each other in 30+yrs, put together the documentary. It's evident in the filmmaking because the kids don't want to push their dads too far or challenge them in a way that would serve the film better; they stay respectful, reverent even, and the film suffers.
January 25, 2012
the boys: the sherman brother's story
October 22, 2011
Another compelling look at show business from Disney's documentary wing. I had not been familiar with the Sherman brothers before this film, and it's surprising to learn the indelible impact their music has had on popular culture. Maybe not my favorite Disney doc to date, but a tremendously enjoyable film.
October 20, 2011
Great doc, if you have any kind of soul and a love for classic Disney music, you NEED to see this!
½ September 20, 2011
A truly fantastic documentary about a truly remarkable songwriting duo. I found myself wanting to learn a little bit more about individual songs but the story of their overall relationship is both beautiful and heartbreaking. Not to be missed for fans of Disney or cinema in general.