The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story Reviews

• Jan 23, 2020

As a movie? Meh. It too often veers off course to tell us something that doesn't seem pertinent to the compelling central story. However, as a capture of two truly incredible men's work? Priceless.

• Jul 19, 2016

Great documentary on Richard and Robert Sherman, who wrote loads of songs for Disney movies, and their difficult fraternal relationship. Recommended!

• Aug 31, 2015

An amazing documentary on the songwriting duo who brought us the wonderful songs from such films like Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

• Jun 13, 2015

Moving and poignant, bittersweet..

Moving and poignant, bittersweet..

• Sep 22, 2014

Robert B. Sherman: [talking about Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers] She was such a witch. This was so sad; how tragic it is that one of the most collaborative team of singer-songwriters, who incidentally were also brothers, and brought so much fun-filled, happy music to the world, disliked each other so immensely that they couldn't even stand to be in the same room together at the end. It's just so heartbreaking, not just because they wrote beautiful music together, but the bottom-line was they were siblings and they were they only sibling each other had. I would just die if I didn't have my sister; I mean, we're not perfect we fight like all siblings do, but to completely cut her and her family out of my life is just unimaginable. Hopefully they can reconcile, eventually, before the end. So much time wasted over a trifle issue, that if you really think about, is completely insignificant. Please Misters Shermans reach out to each other and spend quality time with each other because there is nothing more important in whole wide world than the love of your family.

• Jan 31, 2014

Amazing story of these two guys and the history of many of the beloved Disney songs.

• Jan 04, 2014

Very interesting discussion of one of America's greatest song writing teams.

Very interesting discussion of one of America's greatest song writing teams.

• Dec 26, 2013

This was a great companion piece for us to watch after having viewed Saving Mr. Banks.

• Aug 25, 2012

Fascinating documentary, poignant and nostalgic.

Fascinating documentary, poignant and nostalgic.

• Jun 28, 2012

Historical in every possible way, it's hard to remember The Boys is supposed to focus on the men behind the music and not necessarily the music itself. Not because they are uninvolving people, but because the music is beyond legendary. The film falters only in its running time, wanting to cover as much ground as possible instead of worrying about the playability of the product. Not exhaustive, but exhausting. Not flattering, but almost ego stroking. Sure, these two men are legends in some circles, but their personal relationship? It seems like something for the family to work out behind closed doors. Major points for the doc, though, for not ending in the way one would expect. In other words, not like a typical Disney movie.