Boys Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Boys Town Reviews

½ August 12, 2016
Sanitized and sappy, very loosely inspired by true story film of the real life Boys Town. I felt Rooney gave an emotionally charged great performance, while Tracy as Father Flanagan is understated and resolved.
April 21, 2016
I was disappointed in this one. I found Mickey Rooney's character really annoying and I didn't understand some of the story beats, especially the climax.
December 30, 2015
Boys Town has a heart, means well and is well acted and has its moments, but this is still such an overrated movie that never distinguishes itself from other biopics of the era with a boring story, slow pacing and very annoying characters.
½ August 28, 2015
just a beautiful story told well.
December 6, 2014
Very good movie with a good storyline and good acting.
November 23, 2014
Spencer Tracy obtuvo el Oscar como mejor actor interpretando al Padre Flanagan y su "ciudad de muchachos", en esta melodramática y extremadamente dulce, pero efectiva cinta. Basada en hechos reales, cuenta la historia de un sacerdote católico irlandés que ofrece un lugar a cualquier joven abandonado bajo la premisa de que "ningún niño es malo". Mickey Rooney interpreta a Whitey, uno de esos jóvenes que es difícil de rehabilitar.
½ April 26, 2014
so it's my first Mickey Rooney movie, he was great here RIP
April 17, 2014
From another era? Hell, its from anther planet. planet; Smaltz and relevant to absolutely nil nowadays. Overplayed in all ways. I almost unwatchable by todays standards.
February 15, 2014
A pleasant biopic about Father Flanagan and Boys Town in Nebraska. Unfortunately, the movie is overly sentimental and Mickey Rooney's performance is way over the top. Still worth a look though.
½ December 8, 2013
Boys Town is a feel good movie that feels like a comedy at the same time. The main leads are especially good.
July 10, 2013
A bad kid finds a new way of life at boys town.
July 7, 2013
Boys Town (1938) -- [8.0] -- Spencer Tracy won his second Academy Award for his portrayal of Father Flanagan, a man who firmly believed "there are no bad boys." In the movie and in real life, Flanagan built an educational refuge for homeless and delinquent boys to prove his theory, and the facility still operates today. Mickey Rooney plays the toughest of Flanagan's kids, a boy whose defiance and criminal connections almost cause Boys Town to be shut down. I love the film's climax, when Flanagan and all the older boys storm a bank robber's hideout in a last ditch effort to save the institution's good name. I know "Boys Town" is sentimental and maybe even a tad bit ingratiating, but I guess I have a soft spot for stories about children forced to take care of themselves. "Boys Town" is a genuine feel good movie about having faith in your fellow man and making the best of what you have. And as far as great heroes of the movies go, I'd put Flanagan right up there with Atticus Finch.
June 1, 2013
Father Flanagan takes care of the boys in Boys Town. This was a good movie, but I will probably not see it again.
May 12, 2013
A message movie about a priest who provides direction to troubled boys without homes. Sentimental now. It seems unreal that this was a sort of snapshot of gang activity. It was probably cleaned up and hence why some think there were more "innocent" times. Mickey Rooney, who also appeared in Captains Courageous, is the boy that is the most difficult to reach. He runs away multiple times. Spencer Tracy gives another great performance without going to the extreme of mawkishness.
April 5, 2013
A little corny and melodramatic for my tastes, but a classic none the less and Spencer Tracy and Mickey Rooney are great in it (but I hate that PeeWee kid :^P)
½ January 12, 2013
An earnest ... perhaps too earnest ... drama anchored by a fantastic performance by Spencer Tracy as Father Flanagan, the founder of a community for homeless boys. As with all of Tracy's best performances, he's very sympathetic while simultaneously conveying that a very hard man is lurking under the soft exterior. This really sells the fact that he is a man who could go to the lengths he has to in order to make this community work. Mickey Rooney is not quite as good. Later in his career, he quite convincingly played some fairly tough characters. Here he waivers quite a lot between being convincingly tough and obviously acting. The film's underlying message that badness is, for the most part, learned and can be prevented by caring for our children is timeless and makes the film relevant despite a lot of creaky touches.
½ January 10, 2013
Tracy was superb as the real life father who saved boys from a life on the streets. Rooney also did a good job but his character was a bit of a melodramatic caricature.
December 24, 2012
based on the real life of father flanagan tracey won his second oscar 4 his portrail.
December 6, 2012
An Old-Fashioned Feel-Good Film--Tribute To A Remarkable Man & Place!!
½ October 16, 2012
I loved it, and as it is the first movie I ever saw Tracy in, I am now a fan.