The Brain That Wouldn't Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brain That Wouldn't Die Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
just ok B movie fare
½ August 13, 2016
I watched the version of this film presented by the MST3K folks, and it's the first one that features my favorite host, Mike Nelson as the poor bastard trapped on the Satellite Of Love, and I was slightly let down by the quality of the film, as it just wasn't as amusing as I might've hoped.

½ July 9, 2016
Expect nothing and sometimes you are rewarded. This hokey B movie is startlingly original and very disturbing in places. Despite its flaws, I'd highly recommend it.
½ April 27, 2016
Typical Sci-fi/horror film of that time but its slower pace kinda kills it for what would usually be the "so-bad-its-good" category.
½ December 26, 2015
There are some movies that are inherently difficult to assign specific grade. As an expectation hard to any critique a movie the entire review be reduced to an overly simplistic designation of quality whether it be a number of stars, a letter grade or the trademarked binary judgment of "thumbs-up or thumbs down. While many films are conducive to such a grading system to many for which it just doesn't work. Personally I found the latest release of the 1962 movie, 'The Brain That Wouldn't Die'. Released in 1962 I remember going to the movie theater to watch this as part of a Saturday afternoon matinee. Back then it was long before the explosion of media that could inundate us with advertisements. How interest in the film would be stalked by a poster in the theater informing us of next would be featured. For this film the poster was a pretty young woman, her head wrapped in bandages in her eyes wide open in terror. It is sitting in a trade connected to a myriad of strange electronic equipment. Placed about the large block lettering of the title there is no ambiguity as to what the movie was about. This movie was the intersection of several major cinematic archetypes the mad scientist, misuse of technological advances and a horribly twisted expression a romantic obsession. This history of the difficulty in assigning a specific grade to a movie comes in. From a technical perspective films like this were indubitably not up to the industrial artistic standards the audience has come to expect. The thing is these are not our major concerns as reset net familiar old theater passing time on and afternoon free from school. He wanted to have fun and as corny as these movies that were they provided it did good measure. Now many of these movies have had releases and DVD and are some have even been remastered by high-definition. The Brain That Wouldn't Die is one of the latest releases from Shout Entertainment. Their catalog of Blu-ray and DVD releases is a veritable collection of childhood memories for many of us. The lines of television series is the best of almost any distributor in the films they released represent some of our fondest memories the beginning of our love affair with movies.

Very few evil overlords will mad scientists start out that way, circumstances would have to accumulate to achieve that end result. In the case of Dr. Bill Cortner (Jason Evers), his life was dedicated to diligent study that would culminate with him becoming one of the most successful surgeons of his time. As is frequently the case with someone who has reached the pinnacle of his career has shrouded him with a degree of hubris that he would find it impossible to deny. This pushed him to experimenting with methods and techniques far beyond those considered acceptable. The opportunity to use his new technology came about in a patient of his father's was pronounced dead in the emergency room Dr. Cortner managed to save the patient using one of his most daring experimental techniques. Little did he realize that he would have a far more personal incentive to perfect that he is been working on. His fiancé Jan Compton (Virginia Leith) was involved with the terrible car accident that left her decapitated. Cortner gathers up to separate head and rushes to his laboratory. Once he arrives at his laboratory he places Jan's head in a try of nutrients and hooking it up to monitoring devices, it regains consciences; a sight that was entertainingly enjoyable to the ten year old watching or that inner child that wants to return to when cinematic excellence was less important than good old fashion escapism.

Doc Cortner now is faced with a rather unique conundrum; his betrothed is nothing more than a head. He might be a mad scientist but Cortner is after al a man an there are fundamental requirements better served with a complete body. As any researcher who routinely deals decapitated patients realizes obtaining a complete body donation is exceedingly troublesome especially when there are added constraints such as attractiveness and the fact that a body still living before the commencement of the attachment greatly improves viability of the subject. Cortner realizes that there is also a practical concern not formally part of the procedural protocol is required; the donor should be some whose sudden disappearance will not overly involve the authorities. Cortner begins his search in a strip joint where he could readily assess the aesthetics of the potential donor. After all it will be a major part of his future wife.

The progressive aspect of this story is it cares enough to demonstrate some measure of concern for the disembodied head. Jan is sufficiently aware of how dire her condition is but mostly she is in a world entirely consisting of unrelenting pain. Jan has inexplicably developed psychic abilities and telepathically compels with a terribly disfigured creature held captive in an adjacent room to kill the scientist. The lab assistant, Kurt (Anthony La Penna) is killed by the creature but conveniently only after a few chores were completed. The creature is released thanks to the lock being carelessly left undone. It is so difficult to find competent minions to assist with immoral research. Rather than go outside looking for a body replacement the doctor decides to have one come willingly. He brings a' figure model', Doris Powell (Adele Lamont) home with him. She has a beautiful body but her face has been tragically scarred. Cortner lures her with the promise of plastic surgery.

Has you can see by this appraisal there are numerous plot holes that plague the script the least of which is how Jan's head suddenly developed telepathy and mind control. But as previously mentioned this movie was not intended for the erudite aficionados of cinematic artistry. It was meant to offer a brief escape from the doldrums of the week and let the viewer kick back and have a little bit of fun. In fact the more you think during the film the less you will be able to enjoy it. Shout Entertainment has a well-deserved reputation of respecting the fans. Whether it is providing complete sets of an entire television series or restoring a cult classic film to a pristine condition they have never disappoint me in the quality of their releases. The high definition video required for a Blu-ray edition was made possible by utilizing the original 35mm negatives makes for an experience better that we has in the theaters.
December 6, 2015
Of all the movies I've been seeing lately of this type that had any potential of being a classic, I think The Brain That Wouldn't Die probably has the most potential. If they had shifted the story around a bit instead of just playing all of the scenes in order, it could have been more interesting. For instance, if the girlfriend was already a head in a pan at the beginning of the movie, it would have given the mad scientist a stronger motivation throughout the film... or maybe I'm just overthinking things here. Yes, it's poorly acted, poorly constructed, and just isn't really very good at all, but there's a spark of creativity here that I thought could have been utilized under different circumstances and with the right people involved. Maybe that's just me. It's also interesting to note that the cut of the movie I saw is the uncut version, which features a few extra shots of a cat fight and a couple of gore shots that were taboo at the time and subsequently cut from the movie. Overall, it's intriguing, but fails to really capture the imagination displayed on its wonderful poster. Thank goodness for the crew at Mystery Science Theater 3000 for getting some levity out of it.
November 10, 2015
So many great ideas yet it still flopped. Just the same it's worth seeing once, if only to appreciate the Steve Martin film.
½ November 3, 2015
As awful as this is, I liked it.

Make no mistake...this movie is really bad. The acting, the science, the 'creature' at the end, are all very horrible. But the idea behind it was quite good. Failed body transplants; keeping a person alive against their will; a doctor's obsession to the point of kidnapping a woman to cut her head off so he has a body for his fiance...
October 25, 2015
I'm better for what you want.

A transplant specialist doctor has his wife land in his operating room in critical condition. He decides to keep his wife's head alive through new experimental techniques as he works to build her the perfect body from other girls he kidnaps and kills in his neighborhood. He quickly becomes the target of an investigation; meanwhile, his girlfriend's head has some tricks up her sleeve....

"The operation room is no place for experiments."

Joseph Green, director of Day-Dream and The Perils of P.K. delivers The Brain that Wouldn't Die in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre but does keep you entertained enough to want to see what happens at the end. There isn't much "scary" aspects in this picture but the acting is above average. The cast includes Jason Evers, Virginia Leith, and Anthony La Penna.

"Anything you prescribe I'll take."

This was recently on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) for the holiday season so I had to DVR it. The premise was interesting and the execution was fairly good and I even enjoyed the characters. This is far from a classic, but the plot was fun to watch unfold. I recommend seeing this once if you're a fan of the classic horror genre.

"I know there's someone there..."

Grade: C+
October 24, 2015
The acting by the cast of mostly television bit players was atrocious, the directing is awkward, the dialogue is the pits and that scene of the car wreck might be the worst shot car accident ever. But it's probably entertaining for those who get their jollies from bad films that relish in gore and sleaze. Though others might find it risible and in bad taste, it's hard to completely dislike a film that is so perversely entertaining and has no redeeming social values but is funny in all the wrong ways.

This film never comes close to the king of the arty gore films: Georges Franjuâ??s 1959 Eyes without a Face, but it compares favorably with same-themed exploitation flicks like They Saved Hitler's Brain (1964). The film has become a source of parody on television's Mystery Science Theater 3000 (it ran from 1988 to 1999).
October 18, 2015
Hammy B-Movie in which a man plans to bring a woman back from the dead by keeping her brain...well head...alive and attaching it to a new body. Not to be taken too seriously, its suitably macabre but won't stay in the memory for too long.
November 25, 2014
½ September 11, 2014
I think this movie is great. I wouldn't want to live this way, but would totally be for my man getting me a new hot body. Not sure where the experiments would stop though with that guy. :)
½ October 28, 2013
Works for sheer audacity, shameless conviction of its aims--Classic Ham and Cheesecake!!
October 5, 2013
A very bad movie if only by virtue of its sheer ugliness of tone. Watched it for about the 4th time on MST3K, and can take no more - even the riffing can't save this ED WOOD-inspired hackery. A reluctant two stars.
July 7, 2013
MST3K barely made this tolerable. Tag, you're God!
March 16, 2013
Otherwise known as the Movie That Wouldn't End. There's some entertaining bits (more towards the end) but yeah, there's some stretches that are so slow, and boring. There's far better "bad" movies that provide more bang for your buck.
½ March 16, 2013
Don't get me wrong. It was complete crap from any standpoint-acting, directing, script, ect. Yet, watching this in a room with a group of people made it very enjoyable. Easily fits into the so bad its good category.
February 28, 2013
This movie is plagued by overly dramatic theatrics, boring dialogue, and plot holes. For it's time I suppose it was decent but in today's time it is nothing more than a "lifeless" and forgettable old piece of cinema history.