The Brain That Wouldn't Die - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brain That Wouldn't Die Reviews

March 16, 2013
Otherwise known as the Movie That Wouldn't End. There's some entertaining bits (more towards the end) but yeah, there's some stretches that are so slow, and boring. There's far better "bad" movies that provide more bang for your buck.
½ March 16, 2013
Don't get me wrong. It was complete crap from any standpoint-acting, directing, script, ect. Yet, watching this in a room with a group of people made it very enjoyable. Easily fits into the so bad its good category.
February 28, 2013
This movie is plagued by overly dramatic theatrics, boring dialogue, and plot holes. For it's time I suppose it was decent but in today's time it is nothing more than a "lifeless" and forgettable old piece of cinema history.
½ February 6, 2013
This movie is packed full of that campy cheese factor that appeal to some us in just the right amount, and leave us with a faint feel good feeling. The Brain That Wouldn't Die is very interesting in a sense that is gives a bit of depth in its story. It didn't involve some cliche mad scientists who hates the world just for the sake of hating it, it doesn't involve man genetically engineering nature or anything. Its about a guy turned onto the path of murder and lust because of an incident that has happened to him. It all starts out with him and his wife that are soon to be married. However, a car accident leaves his wife decapitated and the doctor played by Jason Evers, wraps her head up and takes it back to his house to keep alive until he can find her a new body, as beautiful as her last. The plot is definitely something to grasp as there is no doubt that this could possibly happen given the modern medical know-how today. But something strikes me with this movie as it is about a husband who just isn't able to come to terms with the cards that fate has dealt him so he fights and essentially plays God. It adds a little extra depth to the character and gives a little bit more for the viewer. It could almost be a small tribute to Frankenstein in which the mad doctor Frankenstein actually "Wants" to play God.
I don't wanna give to much else away but the effects for this one aren't to bad in terms of its age, but it is somewhat laughable seeing the disembodied head talk. This movie is undeniably low budget but it makes up for it by not taking itself to seriously in fact it even goes so far as to make fun of itself at times and to do that takes a bit of skill and cleverness. I give this camp classic a seventy percent rating because it really is a must see movie filled with campy goodness for all those to enjoy.
January 18, 2013
My friends and I always watch bad b-movies for new years eve. On eyear this was the film. I think that sums it up.
½ December 15, 2012
The Brain That Wouldn't Die is a delightfully cheesy sci-fi/horror film with a neat premise, cheesy effects, hit-or-miss acting, hot women, cheesy dialogue, monsters, and more! This film is nonsensical, but a lot of fun to watch. This is only for fans of B-movies, otherwise you will not like the film. I really liked it and I think it's an underrated film.
October 14, 2012
Another black and white horror movie. Not very good, and I try to give some slack to older horrors for lack of technology and or just what scares people at a certain time. It was just a ridiculous story. Still better than Transformers 2.
October 11, 2012
Awful in the best way, it has disembodied heads endowed with supernatural powers, a wildly unnecessary stripper fight, comically heavy melodrama, humorously ineffective makeup effects, a grunting giant assembled of discarded body parts and an endless array of events ridiculous even by B-horror standards. I haven't seen the MST3K version, but I can only imagine, yet it doesn't take a genius to throw barbs at it.
½ October 2, 2012
Another B-movie cheesefest, but better than "Shrews".

PLOT:A surgeon trying to add limbs and such to other people (Jason Evers) tries to reanimate his wife who died in a car crash (Virginia Leith) by keeping her head alive long enough to find a new body to host, but she and the monstrosity behind the door are realizing their power and planning a rebellious escape. It's a typical sci-fi plot, like "Shrews", but offers a little more up to the plate in execution.

ACTING:Most acting sucked hard, but Leith did a pretty good job I'd say.

SCORE:Typical sci-fi creep score, that's misplaced in some parts.

EFFECTS:Pretty good, but overdone to the point of scary-goofy atmosphere.

OTHER CONTENT:One other thing I disliked about this movie is that it concentrated on sex and scantily-clad women for a few sections of the movie. I find that just sad, almost like one of those crappy movies trying to be something. But I guess it just depends on who you are or what you expect. I expected a cheesefet that might be a little better than "Shrews". I got just that.

OVERALL,a neutral sci-fi with a less typical sci-fi plot, sucky acting, typical misplaced score, almost laughable effects, and sad attention tricks.
½ September 21, 2012
Haha! Weird but enjoyable!
September 5, 2012
Cost maybe $5 to make, but what a demented, fun classic of horriffic badness.
July 26, 2012
So bad that it's funny.
366weirdmovies
½ July 12, 2012
Against her will, a scientist searches for a body for his decapitated fiancee. Deranged b-movie full of sleaze, mutants, cheap gore, purple prose, and general insanity. A gold mine for bad movie fans, but others may find the nonstop outrageousness makes it watchable. "Like all quantities, horror has it's ultimate; and I am that."
½ May 10, 2012
One crazy, cheesy movie. I laughed at some of the really cheesy parts, too.
The plot is weird: A scientist's girlfriend gets decapitated in a car accident, so he hooks her head up to a machine while he looks for a nice body to cut off and use for his girlfriend's head. Hmmm.
Anyway, it's a very cheesy movie. There's this one part where this telepathic monster goes and kills this guy and just strangles him, but the kill looks so...unrealistic. It's just so cheesy, makes me laugh at some parts.
And once again, thank you for MST3K, which shows the cheesiest movies and makes them great again. Yet another old piece of crap I saw from the show.
Very crappy movie, as you can see. So maybe if you consider watching it, watch the MST3K version.
½ March 21, 2012
The story is horrible but it has interesting moments. There really isn't any good characters and the plot goes no where. Effects and make-up wasn't too bad, but in the end it's a pointless and horrible movie.
March 17, 2012
This can only be watched on the Mystery Science Theater version.
½ February 20, 2012
Wish it could've been better. The title and the concept itself is brilliant...the execution not so much. The main offense that pulls this one down below the cult status of "so bad it's good" is the constant repeating of lines by the actors which is an obvious attempt by Joseph Green to pad the already skimpy running time of 82 min. Painful to watch and only recommended to those who love MST3K type fare and the unfortunate souls who can't get enough of really bad movies.
FilmFanatik
½ December 27, 2011
Of all the movies I've been seeing lately of this type that had any potential of being a classic, I think The Brain That Wouldn't Die probably has the most potential. If they had shifted the story around a bit instead of just playing all of the scenes in order, it could have been more interesting. For instance, if the girlfriend was already a head in a pan at the beginning of the movie, it would have given the mad scientist a stronger motivation throughout the film. Or maybe I'm just overthinking things here. Yes, it's poorly acted, constructed and just really isn't very good at all, but there's a spark of creativity here that I thought could have been made better under different circumstances and with the right people behind it. Maybe that's just me. It's also interesting to note that the cut of the movie I saw is the uncut version, which features a few extra shots of a cat fight and a couple of gore shots that were taboo at the time and subsequently cut from the movie. Overall, it's intriguing, but fails to really capture the imagination displayed on its wonderful poster.
December 3, 2011
This is not one of the better sci-fi B-movies of the era, but it is one of those that is so bad it winds up being good (well, good is stretching it - enjoyable) because of its absurdity. The acting is fair, the story is ludicrous, but the ladies are hot! It doesn't take itself too seriously, so you shouldn't either.
½ September 22, 2011
So bad that it is hilarious.