The Brainiac - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brainiac Reviews

½ November 10, 2015
A maniac with a lot of knowledge is a threat.

In the 1600s in Mexico a ruthless, tyrant baron is sentenced to death. As the baron dies he swears vengeance and put a curse on the men that sentenced him to death. Over 300 years later a comet passes over the Earth, and along with it, an alien beast that begins killing the descendants of the men responsible for sentencing the baron to death.

"His arms were tied to the rope and the rope was turned thirty times."

Chano Urueta, director of Woman, Highway of Cats, The Black Pirate, The Count of Monte Cristo (1942), The Sign of Death, Night of the Mayas, and Men of the Sea, delivers The Brainiac. The storyline for this picture is just okay but the execution is very good. The special effects, make-up, and masks are very well done. The acting is fairly standard for this era.

"What does he use his knowledge of anatomy for, to be a dangerous maniac?"

This was recently added to the Netflix online queue so I decided to give it a shot. I loved how they did the main horror character. The special effects may be dated, but are very well done for the time. I do think this is a worthwhile picture to view if you enjoy the old school horror genre.

"It so happens liquor does me damage."

Grade: C
October 27, 2015
It's the kind of outrageous movie that it's impossible to get mad at. This is a movie that's so ridiculously goofy that, if it were to come out today, it would torn to shreds, but because it came out in a time, it's a movie for that time. However, it is definitely good for some corny thrills on a late October night.
½ October 6, 2015
It takes itself so seriously and actually sort of works at times as a slow burning, Dracula-esque horror film. What makes the whole thing fall into B-movie hilarity is the ridiculous monster. It's like the fly crossed with the devil. It's so bizarre seeing this movie building up suspense and drama (and it's heavy on the dialogue by the way) only to flush that down the toilet real quick with the costume they used. The problem is this movie falls kind of in the middle somewhere. It's not bad in a Plan 9, let's riff this movie kind of way. Whenever the monster isn't on screen it's just fairly generic (almost a bit past its time) horror b-movie. When the monster is on screen it does fall into the Plan 9 territory. But overall it is just stuck in the middle and not good, but not that bad, and definitely not that funny.
½ May 5, 2013
The Brainiac is sadly not what the title implies it to be. Not knowing anything about it going in, I assumed it to be about a really smart villain with a big brain trying to take over the world, or something along those lines. Instead what I got was a plot involving devil worship, meteors and a man who changes into a brain-sucking monster with a very long tongue, set in both the dark ages and modern times. Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed any of that at all. It's a Mexican film, so almost all of the lines are overdubbed in English, but the film is just slow and boring and there isn't really much else to it. I suppose the title comes from the creature that's a maniac that eats brains, hence the brainiac. Ugh. Oh well, too bad it wasn't about a Superman villiain. The crew at Rifftrax have attempted to ease the pain a bit, but it's still a pretty boring affair.
½ March 17, 2013
I just want to let you know this is the worst movie I've ever seen.

lol, but seriously, a spanish Heresyer is burned at the stake in 1661, then comes back 300 years later to seek his revenge. Luckily, he's taken the body of some poor schmuck, while taking the name of a baron. He soon finds his tormentors' descendents, and transorms into this ridiculous creature before sucking out their brains. Really, really, not worth your precious time.
April 30, 2011
Mexican cult horror 'so bad it's good' style.
shitfaced8
March 28, 2011
This film starts with a sorceror on trial at the hands of the Spanish Inquisition for Heresy and Necromancy amongst other charges that are never fully explained. The inquisition seems to be getting more and more pissed off throughout the proceedings but the accused doesn't seem to give a fuck. He just kind of sits their giggling to himself. They then decide that the only thing to do with this man is burn him at the stake. While on fire he says very calmly that he will return in 300 hundred years and take vengeance upon his accusors descendents. Pretty impressive feat as he is on fire at this time. This imperviousness to fire and the unbearable pain that it entails, commands undivided respect for this magical nutjob. 300 years go by and he does indeed return, and one by one kills off all of his accusors descendents. But not before turning himself into a devil man demonoid each and every time which looks boss.

This film was directed by Chano Urueta, the old guy from the Wild Bunch, by far my favourite western so I had to see this one as soon as possible. Not dissapointed at all. This film is immensely entertaining from start to finish. It has a good concept that is both cryptic and often times hilarious as well. This film isn't perfect but at only an hour and 15 minutes there really isn't any time to get bored. The performances are all over acted in true b-movie fashion, and the dub job is frankly awful, but that goes with the territory. Definently watch this if you like obscure b horror.
October 12, 2010
stunning cinamatronic goodness
366weirdmovies
½ October 10, 2009
A mysterious man with magical powers (which are never explained) is burnt alive by the Spanish Inquisition, then returns 300 years later to wreak his vengeance on the descendants of the celibate clergymen who condemned him. Fast moving Mexican silliness that's famous (and worth seeing) for the ridiculous (but kind of creepy) monster with the three foot long forked tongue.
August 21, 2008
A fuckin' strange movie. It tries hard to be Black Sunday, but it isn't. Still, really cool, actually a lot like my own comic.