Brave New Jersey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brave New Jersey Reviews

August 10, 2017
There goes 90 minutes of my life
August 5, 2017
Niet al te sterk satire op het klassieke Orson Welles schandaal, maar als een luchtige komedie met niet al te snuggere personages, komt het beter uit de verf dan je zou denken.
June 19, 2017
Saw this wonderful, funny movie at Sun Valley Film Festival 2017 --- hope it makes general first-run distribution. In the mean time, where can it be seen now?
June 19, 2017
Delightful cast, fun story, one of the most enjoyable films i have seen in awhile!
½ June 19, 2017
Proper Perspective: A movie made in 2017 about events in 1938 that is not sure if the dialog should be from 1938, 2017, or somewhere in-between. This is the Kevin Costner's accent in Robin Hood of movie dialog. Let's talk about Brave New Jersey...

Official Synopsis: A comedy about a small New Jersey town on the night of Orson Welles' legendary 1938 "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast, which led millions of listeners to believe the U.S. was being invaded by Martians.

Plot: The small town of Lullaby, New Jersey reacts in a very serious way to the very fictitious event of Orson Wells enacting The War of the Worlds over the radio expecting an alien invasion and attack on their small, rather defenseless town.

Take: This movie won the Best Feature Award at the 2017 Phoenix Film Festival, probably because it had the most famous people involved in the production. I'm glad I saw the movie, but it was a flawed movie without much to remember.

The embellished true story here is very interesting and worth exploring. People reacted in very human ways to what would amount to an apocalyptic event. I did enjoy that element.

Where this movie faltered the most was in the script and the dialog. There were large pockets of this movie where the lines went from 1938 speak to modern day language and that took me right out of the movie. It is hard to not be lifted out of the movie when the dialog does not know what movie it is in. The characters were all caricatures of the real life people that experienced these events; with a bumbling priest (Dan Bakkedahl), a lost for battle former military man (Raymond J. Barry), a teacher trying to find what she wants in love, and of course a love triangle with the town's mayor (Tony Hale), the much to do business man (Sam Jaeger), and his wife (Heather Burns).

These slice of life movies and stories are necessary. There is humor in here and to some the lack of consistency in the dialog might not be noticed by others, it might be more enjoyable for others.

Recommendation: Maybe check this one out on VOD to support smaller films and the folks that work very hard on Indie projects, but this is not a movie I'd recommend to spend theater money on or to see outside of your living room...

Seeing Buster Bluth play a mayor was a very interesting experience, then he just became Buster Bluth playing a mayor.