Breakfast With Curtis Reviews

• Feb 17, 2015

First of all be aware, there isn't a tremendous amount of substance here, but that doesn't really detract from the beauty of the film. The characters are interesting, and for novices, it is very well acted. The film captures summer and a lifestyle of characters that is a reflection of summer. Theo Green plays Syd. Theo is an artist is real life and pulls off acting with great panache and style. The characters are charming, the photography is good, even compelling. I enjoyed this film thoroughly and am not even sure why, but that's OK.

• Oct 29, 2014

The filmmaking craft needs some work, but the characters and story are a breath of fresh air.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jun 13, 2014

Quite enjoyed this film, it's got a relaxed and understated style to its comedy that it will probably end up boring most people, even if the film is anything but. If you're not paying attention, which I think this film's style will lend itself to for the most impatient people in the audience, then you're definitely gonna miss most of the story. It's a coming-of-age film without all the trappings and cliches that come with the genre. It's quirky without beating you over the head with it, much like the previous film I reviewed. It's smart, again, without lording it over your head. It's also about the bad blood between Syd and Curtis' family and how that bad blood starts to dissolve as Curtis comes out of his very introverted shell due to his video project with Syd. Again, it's all very understated. They only ever really acknowledge the feud, explicitly, shortly before the film ends. But it works, it may be a little unassuming, but I think this narrative works. It's simple, but effective. This is a short review, but I don't really have much to say about this film but it's got a very relaxed and aloof tone. It's not every day you see this type of film, but I thought it was very good with a good cast and writing. I can't really complain too much about this film, good stuff here. Not for everyone though.

• Jun 13, 2014

It was entertaining and funny. Not funny haha, but funny in a thoughtful way. I love these characters and the movie made me wish I was there with them.

• Jun 04, 2014

Despite the makers' best effort, Breakfast With Curtis is a bit thin on plot and definitely screams "independent low-budget" (in a bad way).

• May 11, 2014

First off,let me say this: I truly enjoyed coming of age stories,so,they had me on that from the beginning,the structure in this film is very smooth,because you won't really feel any progress among characters,but believe me,there is,and is quite a lot.People with no patience will find this sort of boring and pointless,you've been warned. In a nutshell,Breakfast with C. is a film about a very unlikely role model giving a teenager the confindence he's been looking for.

• Aug 10, 2013

A really good narrative film that is really different from any other film you've ever seen. Because it essentially has no conflict... and it works! It's a film that celebrates the quirky moments of life and the unity of community... and again, it works.

• Feb 24, 2013

A coming-of-age film that defies the trends and traps that have lately made that genre almost insufferable in American cinema.

• Oct 28, 2012

(Breakfast with Curtis was shown as part of the Rhode Island International Film Festival) They're few movies that I've desperately wanted to enjoy more than Rhode Island director Laura Colella's community based comedy Breakfast with Curtis, a movie about the generally easygoing relationship between two affable neighboring homes; one a large purple house filled with pot smoking eccentrics, and the other a now reformed hippie couple with an extremely awkward 14 year old son. There isn't any conflict or danger involved, no sudden twists, or any real plot. In fact, only for a single shot does Colella show the world outside the friendly block. It's the cinematic equivalent of sitting out on the porch on a hot day, and drinking a nice glass of cool lemonade. For the relatively short 84 minute runtime, you're simply relaxing with some quirky, newly found friends. And while I certainly enjoyed their company, once the film ends, you're unfortunately left with the mediocre feeling of "That's it?". The entire film seems to function in what would normally be considered to be the first act of a regular movie. Characters are introduced throughout without being referenced again, ideas for a conclusion are implied but never acted upon, and nothing ever seems to actually happen; just a setup for nothing. In an odd way, it reminded me of genre and tonal opposite Panos Cosmatos' sci-fi/horror Beyond the Black Rainbow in how conventional "setup-conflict-resolution" is ignored in favor of developing an alternate environment for the audience to temporarily inhabit. For Cosmatos, it's the surreal nightmarish Arboria facility, and in the Colella's feature, it's an overly charming suburban Providence street. In both examples, it's more of an existing, though fictional atmosphere than an actual linear story. Colella has created a fully functioning mini-universe for her movie to settle in, but unfortunately despite a charismatic and charming cast, there simply isn't enough of anything. No character development, no plot, no suspense, no drama, no conflict; but there's enough goodwill from the director and crew that I'm interested in whatever they do next. Given a script with more substance (or after writing a script with more substance, as Colella served as the film's writer as well), she could do great things, and I'll be first in line when it arrives in theaters fully formed. I really, really wanted to like this movie, but there're just too many flaws to formally recommend it. Grade: C