Breakfast with Scot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breakfast with Scot Reviews

July 2, 2016
I liked it a lot. It was fun and sweet and innocent and that all because of Noah Bernett who nailed it as Scot. A family movie about a-not-very-typical family! It was so refreshing just for that!
June 12, 2016
Although it is cliched, but it was still charmingly great.
June 28, 2012
Breakfast with Scot is not refreshing, quirky, comedic or, frankly good. From the get go, Tom Cavangh's Eric is entirely unlikeable while Ben Shenkman's Sam seems to stick with him "just because." There's no warmth between the two, which makes every single scene they occupy together painful to watch. In fact, there's aren't two characters in this entire film who have any kind of chemistry. Not brothers, not parent and child, not coworkers, no one. It's entirely too telling that Eric and Sam (indeed, everyone else in the film) refrains from touching one another until the last 10 minutes. Maybe there's a message there about how distant these people are, but the movie is so dense and concerned with trying to be high minded to figure it all out. I have nothing but disdain for this entire endeavor from beginning to end. Unrealistic, maddening and ultimately mindboggling. And I haven't even talked about the kid, his guardian or any of the myriad subplots the story throws at the viewer.
½ May 25, 2012
How nontraditional families can be formed in the best interests of the child, when biological parents are irresponsible. Both the child and the gay relationship inch closer to healthy, despite the best efforts of the closeted ex-hockey player to resist change. Cavanagh & Shenkman are outstanding as baffled parents when Scot is thrust upon them. The story with regard to parenting and the new parents' relationship is real; the interrelationships among the kids, not so much -- if only kids changed so much after a single interaction.

Kudos to the Toronto Maple Leafs for cooperating with the film.
½ May 23, 2012
I never really saw a movie like this, so I liked that it was unique. Somewhat predictable, but I liked the moral of the movie and the acting was really good by Scot & Eric.
Jason Vargo
April 25, 2012
March 20, 2012
Heart-warming, great performances, great story-line. Breakfast with Scot is definitely a wonderful film.
½ January 6, 2012
Very touching and different (in a good way). Had the pleasure of meeting the director and I honestly hope this movie and its cast get the exposure it deserves.
½ October 20, 2011
Showed promise early on, but ended up being grating, and cheesy as fuck.
September 2, 2011
Filme sensacional, leve, divertido, emocionante, original, as criancas tem muito a nos ensinar mesmo
June 21, 2011
utter rubbish, one of the worst movies I have watched this year!
½ February 28, 2011
First film to make my eyes watery for a while :)
February 21, 2011
The film had a good story but is wasnt all that it is shapped up to be.
February 17, 2011
it's actually a fairly bad movie with little substance -- the kid was just adorable and made me like the movie.
February 16, 2011
Dreamy Tom Cavanagh plays a Toronto sports TV anchor who's in the closet ... way, way, way in the closet. He lives with his saintly lawyer boyfriend played by Ben Shenkman of ANGELS IN AMERICA fame. Through a slightly awkward plot line, the couple end up caring for an orphaned kid named Scot.

Scot is a walking stereotype for all things gay and effeminate. He only likes musicals, wears his (dead) mother's makeup and starts re-decorating the guy's house right after he moves in.

The film quickly focuses on Scot and closeted Eric (played by Cavanagh) who reluctantly becomes a father figure for the swishest kid ever to wave a feather boa in the face of a footballer.

Eric is a former hockey player so, it's assumed, he's spent his life suppressing his sexuality and being as butch as possible. Poor Eric has never heard of Bob Paris or Greg Louganis or any of the busloads of gay athletes who, yes, don't throw like a girl.

Eric attempts to butch up Scot "for his own self-preservation" and mild humor and drama ensues.

The only thing weird about this is Shenkman's and Cavanagh's G-rated performance. When last we saw him, Shenkman was taking Patrick Wilson's jeans off with his teeth in ANGELS IN AMERICA. In this film, the only slightly intimate scenes between Eric and Sam is when one ruffles the other's hair. Apparently hair ruffling is what now passes for acceptable man-on-man action on the Disney Channel. Dear GLAAD, is this really progress?
January 4, 2011
Cute movie, but not original. Light hearted comedy-drama.
½ December 30, 2010
Aside from the excruciatingly saccharine final 5 minutes, this was a wonderful, funny film.
½ December 6, 2010
time for a sweet christmas comedy :-)
December 2, 2010
I was very pleasantly surprised by this movie. It was a very well acted and directed film. That said, I thought the writing would be typical of an indy film and was not expecting much. I also remember critics saying at the time the film was released that the directors tried to hide the gay relationship too much. Now after seeing the movie I think I was just reading reviews from some bitter queens. The gay relationship is very much secondary to the main theme. The focus on the film is the child named Scot and his living life to the fullest regardless of how society sees gender roles. I liked that it was not the worn out theme where straight guy is uncomfortable with a kid or person not conforming to typical male gender roles, rather this was about a semi-closeted former pro hockey player that learned about his own internalized issues while learning to love this new child in his life who he becomes a dad to. It just goes to show whether gay or straight - we all have our issues to deal with. Again a very pleasant surprise and well worth watching.
November 29, 2010
A cute story but so many situations seemed exaggerated and distracted from the heart of this movie.