Breakfast with Scot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breakfast with Scot Reviews

November 29, 2010
A cute story but so many situations seemed exaggerated and distracted from the heart of this movie.
½ November 18, 2010
Ei mitenkään erityisen ansioitunut, mutta käsittelee teemaansa miellyttävän rehellisesti ja jättää lämpimän olon.
November 13, 2010
Ideas are there but the execution is a bit ankward and the characters and the story don't flow naturally. It's about accepting yourself even you're outside the norm. It seems here what director wanted to do and say dictates and it feels ankward. I'd recommend somebody to see this only for curiositys sake.
October 31, 2010
Partners Eric and Sam have always been private with their relationship until they are forced to take in, 11 year old, flamboyant Scot. This sweet and honest boy teaches people about being themselves.
iLeo
½ October 23, 2010
Hilarious! Eric and Sam have a quiet and comfortable life, and home, together when Sam's nephew Scot arrives. Losing his mother to a drug overdose, young Scot must await the arrival of his father (whose lived for several years in Brazil). Staying with the only relative nearby, Scot's apparent behavior begins to take a toll on Eric. A former pro hockey player, Eric is a sportscaster on a renown sports channel and hopes that his career will launch. While spending more time with Scot, Eric begins to realize several things about himself and others. Together, they create a family of their own.
Cast- Tom Cavanagh, Ben Shenkman, Noah Bernett, Jeananne Goossen, Fiona Reid, Megan Follows, Sheila McCarthy, Shauna MacDonald, and Graham Greene. Worthy!
½ October 18, 2010
A precious little gem and a reminder to always be yourself :-D
October 11, 2010
I enjoyed this movie about a kid who knows what he likes but is trying to find where he belongs.
½ October 10, 2010
Es bonita y divertida.
½ October 3, 2010
This was a truly adorable movie. I loved the story of the "community" coming together to help this little boy when he loses his mother.
½ September 1, 2010
Absolutely adorable movie. Even if you could see the microphone in some of the shots.
August 20, 2010
"He tried to kiss me!"
"I said I COULD kiss you."

This made me want to turn the movie off and write the rest on my own, I was so jealous of the writing.
½ August 16, 2010
I really enjoyed this heart felt movie. Very touching and sweet. Funny and a joy to watch.
½ July 17, 2010
Charming...quirky, but missing something that I can't quite put my finger on.
June 25, 2010
I thought this movie was great, much better than I had thought....it was funny, made me laugh, but also had a couple of pretty touching parts, and even made me tear up once....well well worth the watch....And, its Canadian!
June 20, 2010
This movie is alright. The story is predictable but the acting is good. With a better script, one that is not so sappy, this movie would have been better than average.
½ June 6, 2010
I have to pick a medium rating for this because the main couple infuriated me the whole time while, Scot, their eventual child, was adorable. I'm supposed to be objective when reviewing movies, but the self-depreciating, masculinity-obsessed queers just rile me up. The can shares lives and a giant house, but they can't even say they're gay out loud to most people. These people do exist, and I guess it's good someone noticing their existence with this movie.

Bias aside, this is your pretty average movie with your typical rebel-child meets-conservative-parents. We've all seen it before: The parents try so hard to change the kid, but the kid ends up changing them. The only difference in this is case is it's a butch queer couple with a very effeminate kid.

Tom Cavanagh acts remarkably well for this type of movie. Whether you agree with his identity throughout the movie or not, he brings it to life with honesty and wit. But Noah Bernett as Scot is the real star here. He's incredibly adorable and as flamboyant as possible. He has a lot of heart for a child actor, and his interpretation of Scot is charismatic and fun to watch.

The direction of the film is nothing special. In fact there are quite a few technical flaws. During the first scenes in which Scot moves into his new home, you can see a boom mic stretching from the stairs to hang over the actors. And something black kept entering the top of the frame. I don't know if it was a loose lens hood or what, but it kept distracting me. You would think a director would catch all these.

But on the plus side of the production, there are some interestingly framed shots. Laurie Lynd, the director uses numerous frames and symmetrical shots to give this story a boost. She's much better with letting the camera sit still than she is with moving it. I was in fact impressed a medium film director would let an actor walk in and out of a frame twice during one shot as she did when Tom (Cavanagh) gets ready one morning early in the film.

In the end, "Breakfast with Scot" is very much like a Christmas film, even though Christmas is not the center storyline. You have your one threadbare storyline and little development, but everything works out in the supposed heartwarming end.
May 19, 2010
This was one of the most modern, conventional, unstereotypical gay movies ever. Definately Hallmark-y with its cuteness, predictability and fluff. This had so much charm, so much humor and so much tenderness I could care less about its Hallmark status. I loved this sweet movie. I loved the young actor Noah Bernett, all his friends, Ben Shankman and Thomas Cavanagh. The couple felt real and the child did not seem like he was acting. Sweet, original and unique, it definately took me by surprise.
½ May 4, 2010
One of the better 'made for a gay audience' love story films about a gay couple who become guardians of a boy they don't initially want and grow to love being two dads to.
½ April 22, 2010
Oscar material, no. But, we laughed, we cried, we loved it! It can't help but resonate with anyone who has ever felt "different." Ignore the critics and rent it!
April 19, 2010
My new favorite movie. Great story & well acted. Watch it ASAP. I'd watch it again and again.