Daai si gin (Breaking News) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daai si gin (Breaking News) Reviews

July 1, 2010
Grandioso film di Johnny To sulla spettacolarizzazione del quotidiano e sull'intusione morbosa dei media sul crimine. Qualcuno ne cavalca l'onda.
Film coerente e per nulla sborone ( anzi al contrario sembrano tutti con la mira sballata, per assurdo). Bei personaggi e bella storia stile HK di una volta. Grande Scarcy, ottimo consiglio!
½ June 20, 2010
I first caught this movie by accident ‚?? on a flight from Hong Kong in 2006. It stuck in my memory as one of the best Asian thrillers, and it caused me to look into director Johnnie To‚??s work as action auteur a little more thoroughly.

I just watched ‚??Daai Si Gin‚?? again and found the movie just as exciting and entertaining as the first time around. It is a smart, suspenseful and ‚?? at times ‚?? funny cops-and-robbers flick with artfully choreographed action scenes. The best one grabs you right at the start: a spectacular seven-minute shoot-out with a camera constantly moving up and down the sides of buildings, shown without a single visible cut.

The story is made interesting by a meta-media twist: The movie centers around a PR scam by the police during a hostage drama which is getting out of control.

Aficionados of Chinese cuisine will particularly enjoy a sweet little scene when two of the crooks turn cooks, finding out that their major dream in life was owning a restaurant.

Fine performances by Kelly Chen (‚??Infernal Affairs‚??), Richie Ren and Nick Cheung add to the fun.
June 14, 2010
I actually liked this movie because the first part had no pauses for 8 minutes. Then the 2 bad guys are actually good cookers because in other movies with bad guys they don't know how to cook, as well as the 2 bad guys.
½ May 5, 2010
Suet Lam is in so many movies! Well directed (aside from no slow-mo or double shots) and nice plot, but the sweetest part is the beginning. Good finale. Seeing how the police and media effect each other in Hong Kong is interesting, but not suspenseful. Cheung plays a great cop, and Chen a great boss.
½ March 17, 2010
The 7-minute opening sequence of this film is possibly the best staged action sequence I have ever seen. The film is good but never lives up to what you see in the very beginning. Its an action film that is part social commentary on mass media and technology in general. it works but not as strongly as it could have. This is not one of Johnny To's best films in that the story just isnt as compelling or artfully done, but the action is still pretty fantastic and its exceptionally well filmed. Oh, and Richie Jen is great in this film as the head bank robber.
March 7, 2010
An impressive opening, that's it.
March 7, 2010
Breaking News succeeded in being a good action movie, with an interesting scenario, stylish sequences and having a critic view about the power of the medias. And it was a daring bet because it is directed by Johnnie To, who is a Chinese man, and everybody know that the power of medias in China is controversial.
I think it's one of the most interesting movie of the world.
½ February 11, 2010
entertaining action ama from hong kng, as bad guys take hostage in tower apartments,with police closing in, soe exellent gunplay on show,and story is interesting,especially partabout using the media to ones advantage, someeiting cameawork during shoot outs made this more interestingtan,usual work
½ January 9, 2010
Polar virtuose et théorique qui imprime la rétine bien longtemps après.
½ December 15, 2009
No bad... I like Johnny To's movies... the plot was good and felt that the ending has an interesting spin... I was not expecting that!
December 4, 2009
An awesome action movie with one of the best opening scenes ever.
½ November 12, 2009
Johnnie To has become one of my new favorite directors. After watching the slow burning "PTU", I moved onto "Breaking News" which ironically is almost just the opposite in style and substance. This film has a lot of big time shots and an almost John Woo feel about it, with its ballet like bullet work and bigger than life theme.

"Breaking News" starts off as the police bust a group of gangsters as they are about to heist a bank and the ensuing carnage depicts the police in a bad light with the media. The police then develop a plan to pursue the criminals with the media spinning their way by making it 'a show' for the public. Of course, the criminals find themselves between a rock and a hard place and begin counter spinning the media and looking for their way out.

I think conceptionally, "Breaking News" has a lot of solid things going for it. We've seen movies that tap into the idea of spinning the media but never in an action environment (at least I haven't) and with Johnnie To's minimalist scripting style and visual epic-ness, there is some great things spinning here. The opening 7 minute uncut camera shot of the initial criminal/police street gunfight is something of a directorial nightmare and massively impressive. Unfortunately, it also sets the standard for the film very high and the rest of the run time is spent trying to match that moment, for which, it never does. It does succeed in its visual prowess and general tone, which is still pretty enticing so that by the end of the film you feel a least moderately satisfied with your experience.

Of course, as with most To films, the acting is once again superb. His minimalist scripting approach makes actors and actresses have to act without the words, and in "Breaking News" they do so admirably. Unfortunately, because of To's minimal story depth and character work, there is also far too much left out in the open. We get to see a moment in time, but hardly ever get to see the 'why' ever explained. Why is police man Cheung so obsessed with catching these guys (expect for the fact that they humiliated him)? What's the story with the 'director' of the show and Simon Yam's police chief? What's the criminal's connection to one another?
½ October 28, 2009
another great cop/gangster thriller from Hong Kong
½ October 21, 2009
This flick is Bad Ass!!!
October 20, 2009
The shootouts in this film is awesome. A lot of action movie directors should learn from this movie. It balance's character development and all out intense viloence.

Good pickup for forgien film fans.

MP Grade A+
October 16, 2009
A clever criminal leads his gang to safety after an undercover operation is blown by the cops, and the media catches a glimpse of the interaction that causes the HK police force to lose face. Enter a game of chess played through the media by both the police and the criminals that makes you wonder if anything seen on TV is ever the truth, and if so, who's truth is it? Watch it for the brillaint concept and execution of a media thrill ride.
½ September 5, 2009
The rare Hong Kong action movie that actually has something to say. Johnnie To satirizes the sensationalism of the 24 hour news cycle while shooting his stylish action scenes with dazzling camera work. The opening scene in particular is a marvel.
½ August 26, 2009
somehow it reminded me of japanese movie series Odoru Daisosasen. shooting scenes and long-shot were really impressive. japanese film makers should watch it.
½ August 7, 2009
Breaking News is the best film of its kind since Keanu Reeves had to deal with a speeding bus. This a gripping, edge-of-your-seat, situation action movie which from the virtuoso opening shot to the end credits barely takes a break for lunch. The premise is simple: A group of criminals are hiding out in an apartment complex. The police find out the location of the criminals. The police try to get in. The criminals try to get out. Apart from an added commentary on the use of media that is basically the film. The film's sublime exploitation of its stripped down bareness to achieve maximum effectiveness recalls Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. The film is less than ninety minutes long. There is no filler like so many of today?s action films. It gets to the core of its idea and executes it with technical ingenuity and narrative intelligence. It isn't as quirky as director Johnny To's other takes on genre but by playing it straight he has created a film that doesn't just give an interesting spin on a genre but a film that is itself a remarkable example of one.

A great deal of the success of genre stalwarts Die Hard and Speed can be attributed to a certain level of verisimilitude they maintain. Much of the action felt like it could happen so when something outlandish occurred the viewer was so involved with the story that it didn?t really matter. The same is true of Breaking News. Police procedures are meticulously detailed (this may be the best police procedural film since The French Connection) and feels real. Action is controlled and tight. Writing the following sentence I am aware that it may be one of the few positive comparisons of a film to a video game in the history of human writing but this film feels a lot like Rainbow Six except with, you know, real people. And that is a genuine compliment. Breaking News succeeds where every video game film should succeed but always fail ? here we feel as though we are part of the action. This is thanks to the attention to detail, and camera work and editing are that are rarely anything other than inventive, fluid and perfectly executed.